Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,929,309 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid this thread is attracting people who aren't here in DE and who've no plans of moving to DE but who scan the C-D forums looking for controversial political points to debate. IMO this debate doesn't belong on the DE forum at all. It's a national debate for the most part and belongs on the Politics and Other Controversies forum. I hope this thread gets locked at this point. Unless we have specific local protests here in DE to discuss I don't see a point to this thread as it has now developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,012,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Unless we have specific local protests here in DE to discuss I don't see a point to this thread as it has now developed.
While I agree that outsiders are finding their way here to add to the conversation, and while I agree that this thread really should belong to those who wish to discuss the small groups developing in three different Delaware cities, I do NOT agree that the thread should be locked.

Here are the links to the three groups:

Dover Occupy Together Community - Meetup

Newark Occupy Together Community - Meetup

Wilmington Occupy Together Community - Meetup

This is, at least at present, a legitimate movement that has some activity limited but growing activity in Delaware and should those who have a stake in Delaware wish to discuss it, they should be entitled to do so. If you are not interested in the topic, then just bypass this thread and discuss other topics in other threads.

I'm not sure what this movement will become. It could become something interesting, or it could phase out over time. But I'm not ready to just shut the door on it yet. I want to see, hear and learn more. I would suggest we wait to see if Delaware-based discussion develops before we go closing off avenues of free speech.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

I support the movement, but I think discussion here should be strictly limited to what's happening in Delaware. I don't want this to become a place for every right-winger on C-D Forums to come and argue about the Occupy Wall Street movement in general, with no real interest in, or knowledge about, the specific scene in Delaware.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,617,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This needs to get started, after all many, many, many corporations are incorporated in DE because of our loose business laws. It's also the reason why you pay tons in interest on credit cards. Occupy Wall St? How about occupy DE. We need to march on Wilmington.
Good point, the interest rates being charged today were ILLEGAL a few decades ago. They would have made the Mafia blush with envy. Imagine if that excess interest were available to consumers to buy products and stimulate the economy rather than fatten the pockets of the rich.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,012,278 times
Quote:
I support the movement, but I think discussion here should be strictly limited to what's happening in Delaware. I don't want this to become a place for every right-winger on C-D Forums to come and argue about the Occupy Wall Street movement in general, with no real interest in, or knowledge about, the specific scene in Delaware.
We agree.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
What's happening in Dealware is that the state has no Usury Limit, which is the reason why all credit card bills go to the Bank of America center in Newark. That effects the entire country. The Usury Limit is 10% in Arizona but the Supreme Koch says the bank can use the state where the bank is located (Delaware).
If Delaware passed a 10% Ususry limit the Credit Card Company could not charge over 10%

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM

They would promptly re-incorporate themselves in a jurisdiction that allowed them to charge as much as they want or at least up to 25% interest. It's thus a problem at the national, federal level. Theoretically you could try to get all states to pass low, sensible usury limits, but sadly that is apt to take quite a long time. Delaware, of course, gets revenue from having the robber-banks incorporated here (along with so many other Fortune 500s) and is unlikely to wish to chase them off, especially in such a crappy economy. Of course, this points up the whole Catch 22 nature of the manifold challenges that we are facing in trying to restore democracy and prosperity to what has become a plutocracy masking itself very poorly as a representative democracy; again, American democracy - certainly at the national level - is a mere Potemkin Village, an empty facade.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
They would promptly re-incorporate themselves in a jurisdiction that allowed them to charge as much as they want or at least up to 25% interest. It's thus a problem at the national, federal level. Theoretically you could try to get all states to pass low, sensible usury limits, but sadly that is apt to take quite a long time. Delaware, of course, gets revenue from having the robber-banks incorporated here (along with so many other Fortune 500s) and is unlikely to wish to chase them off, especially in such a crappy economy. Of course, this points up the whole Catch 22 nature of the manifold challenges that we are facing in trying to restore democracy and prosperity to what has become a plutocracy masking itself very poorly as a representative democracy; again, American democracy - certainly at the national level - is a mere Potemkin Village, an empty facade.
But what is happening in Delaware and South Dakota needs to be dealt with by a National Usury Limit. It is still happening in Delaware so that is where we need to focus attention

Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 AM

This would be a job for Congress, not for the General Assembly of Delaware. Congress has proper competence to legislate national usury limits on credit cards and all inter-state lending through its powers of regulation under the Commerce Clause.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,202,698 times
Recent article: Newly formed Occupy Delaware harnesses economic frustrations | The News Journal | delawareonline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware