Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,912,899 times

Advertisements

This needs to get started, after all many, many, many corporations are incorporated in DE because of our loose business laws. It's also the reason why you pay tons in interest on credit cards. Occupy Wall St? How about occupy DE. We need to march on Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM

310 posts, read 774,697 times
Just pay the credit card off every month and you don't pay interest. That was easy...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,968,981 times
Please don't wish this on your state. There are thousands of people milling around Wall street protesting what? I do not not mind but a large percentage of them are clueless and just along for the thrill of the ride, the TV cameras etc. The majority of the working stiffs on Wall Street are not responsible for the situation these people are protesting. The inconvenience to these working class people from getting lunch to getting home from work for them has been a nightmare. The cost to the city for security and police has been increased and when it is all said and done what will happen? NOTHING!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,126,587 times
must be me i dont see the correlation. people are marching on wall st because the banking industry, the insurance industry, the real estate industry and the stock brokers have ruined this country's financial security. do you know the reason companies incorporate ? they do so to protect themselves from lawsuits for the board of directors or anyone personally. the reason delaware is so popular is that have one of the finest corporate law courts in this country. their rates to incorporate are also one of the most reasonable. delaware has also kept up with technology making the process easy and seamless. mostly importantly delaware's incorpation laws are a history of being regulated more than other states they may change some of their incorporation laws on a whim. so with all that being said how does delaware incorporation laws have anything to do with the wall street march ?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 AM

407 posts, read 962,153 times
How many of the marchers are carrying their Iphones and Ipods and Ipads as they protest corporate greed?....Apple is among the biggest companies in the world. And nothing against Steve Jobs RIP.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,017,322 times
It's not specifically corporate greed that they are protesting. They are protesting that "money" has better access to government than non-money and they are looking to get the money out of the governmental/political processes.

This quote is from Dylan Ratigan, who went to talk to those protesting earlier in the week. "And I found people from all walks of life, who agreed completely with that. And the more I spoke to them, I found that a single sentence, from tea partiers, old ladies, young radicals got lawyers from around the corner. Every conversation, there was a shared belief. A singular belief that wealth should only be a by-product of working together to solve problems with aligned interests for all and that a bought government is the barrier to doing that."

Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,937,124 times
As has been the case at some points in the past, e.g. the late 19th Century "Guilded Age", the United States is increasingly becoming a plutocracy in which big business effectively calls the shots by having politicians in their pockets. This by the same token equates to pseudo-democracy or a sort of Potemkin Village of democracy. I for one would like to see the Occupy Wall Street movement spread to become an Occupy America movement comparable to the mass protests and civil disobedience of the Viet Nam War era and Civil Rights struggles. This would, obviously, include cities that are important to each individual state, in DE's case Wilmington and Dover (and possibly Georgetown on some occasions since that's where Chancery Court sits). Realistically, however, massive protests won't be mobilised in a state like Delaware, for a variety of reasons. Philly and of course D.C. are more likely regional foci, and obviously D.C. is a location with tremendous national significance (think the Poor People's Campaign and tent city on the National Mall during the late 1960s). Delaware can't replicate that, but our location does make it easy for people here to get to more significant protest sites in adjacent states or in the District.

That said, I don't think we can proceed very far on this forum to discuss this matter unless we stay strictly to actual matters within DE; otherwise, the matter of the Occupy Wall Street Movement would appropriately be restricted to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

I would only conclude by saying that at this point the movement is basically an exercise in consciousness-raising and solidarity, and that it will have to develop more focused political goals if it is to ultimately prove effective.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM

It appears that the seeds have been planted in Delaware. There were two "occupy" groups founded yesterday, one in Newark and one in Wilmington and they are planning meet-ups. There are meet-ups now planned in 475 cities. For those interested, there is a website at Occupy Together*|*Home

I am not a member of this group and I'm not making any recommendations or endorsements. I'm just sharing the information as a point of interest. When I went back to check the website address for accuracy, it's now 477 cities. If nothing else, this will be interesting to watch.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
I agree. Lock this thread!
Not so fast, Pete. A third group has started in Dover. They plan to meet on The Green ... not date set.

Occupy Together Meetup - Dover, DE | - Meetup

Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,209,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I wonder how many of these protestors put as much energy into finding a job as they have doing their marching!
A grave new world for college graduates | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/12/2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware