Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
So if I am to understand you, you made this purchase and then happened to register and post on this website!!!!!! Wow what a coincidence with another poster of earlier today. Both first time posters in the Delaware thread and both with strange occurrences. HMMMMMMMM.

You are like Miss Marple!!! A sleuth!

Last edited by brava4; 10-20-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrocks97 View Post
As for you being "incredulous" about my web findings... you should try looking up crime maps and statistics, the maps and stats are very different from one another and it is hard to define good versus bad, especially being from another state and not knowing what neighborhoods are called and so forth. I don't need your judgement of how well you think i researched things, I know what i did and I am trying to get opinions from people that actually live and know the area. Just trying to get some answers, not looking to be judged or criticized.
To be clear, I did not say your web findings were incredulous, I did say that I was incredulous that if properly researched beforehand that a website could shake you so and that perhaps you only did a cursory job. That impression was based upon YOUR original comments and the followup seems to confirm my thinking. See below in Red.

Quote:
My husband and I just bought a house in Claymont DE, close to Harvey Road. I have done some research and I am afraid we made a huge mistake. We are from Northeast Philly and have only visited the area during the day. Is that area really as bad as the internet says? Our real estate agent said it was a "good neighborhood" so we trusted her judgment. If you know that area well please comment. I'm hoping we made the right decision.
Thanks in advance for your help and comments.
In the followup posting you said
[quote=horrocks97;21368294]{snipped} My husband and i are gonna drive to the neighborhood tomorrow and see if we can find someone to talk to, we will also visit the local police station and maybe the fire station.[/quote]

You certainly do not need to justify or explain your research to me or anyone else. So long as you are happy that you have done your homework, that is all that is important. My opinion does not matter.

For what it is worth, check out the reviews of the website you quoted there are quite a few negative comments about them.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 15,085 times
Where did you find reviews for the website i quoted? Thanks for the info you provided. And yes, i did take what you said the wrong way, sorry about that.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM

103 posts, read 360,612 times
I also purchased a home in Delaware based on a few visits, city data and other similar resources. I really tried desperately to get information from real estate agents, but that was a poor choice for me. None of the data is accurate!!! You can only see and do so much from afar. Period. Having gone through this process myself, I feel and understand the frustration that comes with home buying from a distance. Beware of neighbors who are friends with former owners who will greet you with hatred based on your real estate negotiations with the former owners. Half of the people on my street think they know me because they judge me based on the lies of the former owner. For me, this place is hell. By the way, none of my neighbors are from Delaware so, I'm not dissing the fine people of the state of Delaware.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
The Delawareonline crime map does a pretty good job on crimes like assaults and property crime, in that area and many areas of the state.

Just remember, now you are a Claymonster part of the 703. You will on occasion have to defend your new town to other Delawareans, especially those living in North Wilmington. Its not a bad place to live and its improving every year. Some of the residents carry an enormous inferiority complex about Claymont. See the "Claymont Christmas Weed".

Again I lived in C-town (Claymont) for 15 years and my wife lived there for 39 years. Its not perfect but its not bad either.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Where did you find reviews for the website i quoted? Thanks for the info you provided. And yes, i did take what you said the wrong way, sorry about that.

Sorry it took so long for my response. Review of Neighborhood Scout for San Mateo Home Buyers – San Mateo Real Estate « Living Well in San Mateo (http://www.livingwellinsanmateo.com/2008/10/neighborhoodscoutcom/ - broken link) here are just 2 of the reviews of NS. Thre are more in other cities, just like it.
Note in references #3 & #5 the praises of CITYDATA are sung!!!

Thank you all members who have been an enormous source of assistance for me on many occasions, you make this site special.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
I did do research before we bid on the house. I looked at crime maps and it honestly didn't look too bad. Being from out of state it is hard to tell, I assumed it was like everywhere else with pockets of good and bad. Not sure what coincidence you are speaking of.. I am just looking for someone who knows the area well. We would be on the side of Harvey Road that is closer to Philly, right by the shopping center with the Arby's and Goodwill. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I was fine with our decision before i stumbled upon a website that said the changes of a violet or property crime happening to you in Claymont was 1 in 28... I would expect that for somewhere like West Philly, not somewhere where they are building $250k+ townhomes.
How could I forget, one of the best Pizza places in the state is called Charlies its at the end of the shopping center with Arby's. They might be the only joint that doesn't use corn meal in their hand tossed dough as a filler. The everything pizza, cheesesteak pizza, buffalo wing pizza are out of this world, so is just a plain pizza. They have awesome wings, chili cheese dogs and pretty good cheese steaks. The subs are good too. Cafe Rivieria at the Concord Mall which is close to you as well usually wins best pizza in Delaware, Charlies is comparable if not better. Seasons I believe won this year and IMHO couldn't sweep the floors of Charlies or Cafe Rivieria.

As for those 250,000 townhouses, they were paid for by bond issuing through New Castle County. Huge Housing projects used to be in their place called Brookview. That was a rough place that was torn down because the places were run down and it was drug and crime infested, plus rat and roach infested. Brookview was torn down probably 5 or 6 years ago. Look up the "Claymont Renaissance" on your computer for more info on Claymont.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 15,085 times
Thank you so much for all of the info! We have our home inspection today so i think we will try Charlie's pizza today. We took a trip down yesterday and spoke to one of our neighbors across the street. He has lived there with his wife for 20+ years and he said he has never had any problems and people on the block look out for each other. We also looked at the schools our children will be attending and coming from Philly, they seemed to be ok. Very different from what we have here, our kids play on a concrete slab so a big playground and fields will be great. So that does make me feel a little better. We are going to give Claymont a chance! James, I have read article about the Claymont Renaissance, hopefully they will follow through and finish the projects that they started.
=)

Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 AM

69 posts, read 162,601 times
Quote:
Thank you nuts2uiam. I found the information on neighborhoodscout.com. I didn't find any specific crime data for West Philly, it is just known for not being a safe place to live. I can only find stats on Philadelphia as a whole. For Philadelphia it says you have a 1 in 74 chance of being a victim of a violent crime and a 1 in 24 chance of being a victim of a property crime. Where i live in Philly, the northeast, nothing has ever happened to us or my family. Now for Claymont it says you have a 1 in 341 chance for a violent crime and 1 in 27 for a property crime, but then it says all together the chances of a violent or property crime are 1 in 26. I don't know how they came up with that and i am wondering how accurate it could be. It seems extremely high. That is why i freaked out. I am the type of person to research EVERYTHING and probably over research things at times. My husband and i are gonna drive to the neighborhood tomorrow and see if we can find someone to talk to, we will also visit the local police station and maybe the fire station.
The website you mentioned is one that is a good guide maybe, but in my experience, it is far from accurate. It shows the neighborhood where I live in Kansas as being extremely bad, but it is not. Been here 58 years wtihout any problems. You might look for local law enforcement websites with crime states that will narrow things down a lot. Get to know the area and the neighbors and that will help a lot.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,108 times
Default Claymont

I live in the Radnor Green development right off of Harvey Rd. We have been here for 17 years and have had no problems. Our kids are half way through the Brandywine School District also without any problems.My biggest complaint is all of the older residents. It does not seem like younger people move into this area, so my kids have grown up without neighborhood friends.We would never been able to stay in Pa where my husband and I both grew up.We have a nice house and yard and the taxes are great. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware