U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 AM

233 posts, read 226,807 times
Great pics, Legend. I was hoping to do some camping for Memorial Day Weekend at Trap Pond or the river inlet or even Assateague but it looks like reservations were made early, and no tent sites are left :-(
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM

711 posts, read 710,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
I was thinking of the Thompson's Bridge on rt 92 not 93.
If those were taken with a camera phone I'd like to know what kind of phone you have!
Excellent pics...again.
HTC Thunderbolt 8.0 megapixel... (Verizon)

It's nice to have a good camera on my phone for nature walks because otherwise I would never think to carry a digital camera...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 AM

711 posts, read 710,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Also Valley Garden park is top notch...

And it has a nice hidden nature trail if you walk to the very back of the Park....(I just found this trail a few weeks ago)

Delaware Ecotourism at ecoDelaware.com : Valley Garden Park

Valley Garden Park - Wilmington, DE
I went back last week...

This place has a light trail... (1 hour max)

Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Status: "Fall is here--couldn't come soon enough!" (set 21 days ago)

1,257 posts, read 1,324,736 times
My husband and I finally headed to Milton today to check out the Edward H. McCabe Preserve. It's in a rural area and don't blink or you'll miss the tiny, stoned parking area which is basically just a small circle. Glad I had the GPS. Anyway, we hiked through the woods and it was quite a nice, lush forest. I saw a rabbit and many squirrels. We were on the loop by the water when we had to go through some grass which was just inundated with ground wasps; they were striped and they were just everywhere. I had to stop there given I am deathly allergic to bee stings. I was so disappointed, but there was no way around them. Just when it was getting good....ah well. We'll have to go back in the fall when the stinging insects die down. Kayak season is about to start and I kind of put hiking on the back burner once I start paddling.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM

I must add that was saw a light gray wild turkey with a white head across the street from the parking lot--never seen a turkey that color before. It wasn't very big. Then, we saw a groundhog running along side the road about a quarter mile from the parking lot--second one I have ever seen in Sussex!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:10 AM

223 posts, read 171,050 times
Yeah. I stay out of the woods when things get too buggy, though not because of allergies; I just don't like getting bit or stung. McCabe's is best when it's late fall to late winter. I don't know if they close during deer season or if they permit deer hunting at all.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Well, we're back to kayaking--went out for the first time this week out of the Assawoman Canal. Oh, how I missed it! I'm still hiking and biking, but I really, really get into kayaking once the season begins.

I did take a bike ride down to Holts Landing today as I sometimes do after work. I decided to bike the Seahawk Nature Trail and came out at the "primitive camping ground" on a sandy road. I biked the sandy road all the way to the beach at Holts and then turned around and headed back to the paved road leading to Holts without having to backtrack and bike the entire woodsy Seahawk Trail again. It was a fun ride!!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 AM

223 posts, read 171,050 times
I took a hike Sunday at the Redden SF southern HQ. Probably for the last time until Fall.
I found a bunch of new (to me) trails a while back so this time I marked some waypoints on my gps to see where the trails ended. They were mostly boundary trails. Saw some bobcat tracks.
The canoe is coming out of storage soon.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM

I want to hike there, but I am unfamiliar with the area and where I should park and begin my hike. I drove around and found the pond and nature center where some large trucks were parked...not sure if that is the place to park or not. I didn't notice trails, but then I was in my car.

Amd wow...bobcat tracks?? Cool. When I was riding my bike on the trails at Holts yesterday, I kept thinking about the cougar sightings they had there a year or so ago. Maybe it was a bobcat??

Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Some good news....will make biking around my town safer .

Bike and pedestrian improvements to begin in Ocean View next Monday - WGMD.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware