Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM

11 posts, read 27,917 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband has a choice between a job in Bridgeport, NJ or Peabody, MA so we are trying to get as much info about each area to make the best decision. We have a 7 year old son, but he is home schooled so schools aren't a concern. I would need to be able to get him to activities, co-op classes, etc. We are originally from Maine so we don't have an issue with moving back up that way. We currently live in Macungie, PA and really like living in PA as well.

I'm trying to get a feel for Delaware, southeastern PA, and NJ. I am not familiar with DE or NJ at all. I have only driven through them. So any info on those area would be helpful in making a determination.

My husband would be working from home some days, commuting to the office other days with some days on the road. We don't want to live in the city. We would like no more then a 45 min commute to the office in Bridgeport at the most, but would prefer 30 min. unless the cost of living 15 more min. out is worth it. We are looking to rent not buy at this point. We would like a place where we can plant a garden or be involved with a community garden which we have done here.

I'm having a hard time determining which would be the most economical place for us to live. According to the cost of living calculator I have been using our cost of living will increase whether we pick Bridgeport, NJ or Peabody, MA. It seems the increase in DE, southern PA and NJ are a combination of of utilities and housing. In MA and NH it seems to be basically housing. I am also concerned about the cost of car insurance. I know that will be going up as well. MA is a no fault state. I'm not sure about DE or NJ.

I am rather stressed out about this. There just seems to be so much to consider and we don't want to make the wrong choice. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Utilites are expensive here, and living in Delaware working in NJ you'd have the $5.00 bridge toll everyday, which adds up quickly and Delaware's higher income tax. In New Jersey you have super high property taxes and higher car insurance compared with Delaware, plus NJ has a sales tax which Delaware doesn't. I would think cost of living wise Delaware would be cheapest then PA, and lastly NJ. I like all three states and there is benefits to each state, you just have to find which benefits are important to you.

If New Hampshire didn't have such a long, cold, winter I'd live there in a heartbeat, same for Maine. One thing that strikes me as different in New Hampshire is the cost of housing relative to the wages, it seems the wages are lower than here but the housing is more.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM

148 posts, read 276,963 times
The $150 monthly toll should be a lot less than the difference in property taxes between New Jersey and Delaware.

Across the bridge from Bridgeport is a very dangerous ghetto called Chester. Outside of that, you have Brookhaven, which is an older middle class suburb of Chester. You would fare the best by choosing N. Wilmington in zip codes 19803 and 19810. This would put you about 10-15 minutes from Bridgeport once you get to 95.

Your PA towns in that area would be Aston, Media, and Springfield. Media and Springfield can be a rougher commute due to the 476 traffic.

In Jersey, you have Bridgeport, Mullica Hill, Glassboro, and Washington Twp which would all be about 20 minutes away. Unfortunately, there's not too much in that part of Jersey until you get up to Washington Twp/Deptford. You'd have to drive a half an hour to see a movie.

19803 and 19810 Wilmington suburbs are best, followed by Aston and Garnet Valley, PA. This would give you nice areas but not crazy costs, although remember PA has high property taxes and NJ has insane property taxes. DE's property taxes are negligible.

ALSO:

That part of PA is generally full of traffic, older, and rough around the edges. That part of Jersey is rural, small townish. N. Wilmington, DE is new, cleaner, and in general nicer. There is a ton of convenience in the N. Wilmington area. Every store you would need would be right up the street. PA is similar. Again, in that part of Jersey you might have to cross the bridge or take a decent drive to get somewhere.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:19 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
I very much agree with what Road Warrior has stated and suggested!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM

347 posts, read 863,507 times
Swedesboro, NJ is very nice. It is a mix of an older town with large pockets of new homes and townhouses. Glassboro, NJ is home to Rowan University which is having a growth spurt. They have recently added a college of engineering and medical school so there has been alot of building in the area. They might have good options for day activities since you mentioned that you home school. There are usually homes for rent in the area of the college. There are some sketchy sections which seem to be diminishing. There is also a small town nearby - Pitman, NJ. Very old fashioned type of town with a real small town feel if you might be interested in that. Many historic type smaller homes around the downtown. All three towns would be within 30 minutes of the NJ location your husband would be working in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware