Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Sussex, I bought into the conventional wisdom that there is a world of diffrence between the lands of the First State north and south of the canal. My first living experience outside of Sussex was New Castle County, so contact with other Delawareans (north and south) fed this same conventional wisdom by simply re-enforcing these stereotypes like some sort of feedback loop.

Having now called 6 other states home, I've concluded the differences between northern and southern Delaware aren't as great as some make them out to be. Some humans, for whatever reason, however must apparently feel better about themselves if they look down on others. Things I've experienced:
>Some Europeans think all Americans are unsophisticated.
>Some New Yorkers think Delaware is a backwater.
>Some folks from New Castle County think downstate is redneck, hick or in this instance "eccentric."
>Some folks from Seaford look down on people in Blades.
And on it goes down the theoretical food chain. How pointless.

Another conclusion I've reached is when an individual choses to judge and stereotype others, it says more about that person than it does about those they choose to label.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-04-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
This isn't about stereotypy bit about objective social and political facts in recent history. BTW, I've lived in DE, UK, Lithuania, Texas (all over that state), Louisiana, Colorado, Virginia , and at a much younger age Okla and CA. So I think I've been around plenty.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker;
I'm not grasping Dr Jeff. You are the one attacking my home. Do any of these things effect you personally that you need to post negatively about Sussex? Maybe you should try the Jersey Shore this summer. Or maybe they are not as laid back and accepting as Sussex. Well Whatever!! y'all have a nice day.
It's one state. Why is your bit so retrograde and contrary? Try responding to the question in rational terms rather than ignoring the objective basis for the question I'm posing. J

Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
This isn't about stereotypy bit about objective social and political facts in recent history. BTW, I've lived in DE, UK, Lithuania, Texas (all over that state), Louisiana, Colorado, Virginia , and at a much younger age Okla and CA. So I think I've been around plenty.
I'm sure you have been around plenty.

Last edited by rdlr; 12-04-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
That is a shame. Sorry you can't find a place you are comfortable. Couldn't be your attitude could it?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Rather than engaging with the subject, you choose to deflect it by invoking essentially or implicitly an ad hominem argument. You seem unable to try to explain why the identity and politics of Sussex seem so fundamentally different to those of Kent and New Castle. Way to go, guys!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
All joking aside, I think Sussex County residents are generally more conservative than their New Castle County counter parts. Alot of rural areas of the country seem to be that way, especially those invaded by new residents who have different ideas about how things should be done.

One things for sure, its much harder to find a rude person in lower Delaware than it is up here.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Totally agree with your post, James420. Sussex County (generally speaking) is more conservative. And yep, as I have stated before, I believe the people are friendlier down here--at least for the most part. However, I must admit that my sister has some awfully nice neighbors in Holiday Hills. They sure are friendlier and more down to earth than the people I encountered while living on Foulk Road in the mid 70's-mid 80's.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
For the most part, we are a collection of Delaware citizens, and most of us know where the other hangs his/her hat. Our posts are reflections of where we reside and how we interact with one another. It's not rocket science.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
For the most part, we are a collection of Delaware citizens, and most of us know where the other hangs his/her hat. Our posts are reflections of where we reside and how we interact with one another. It's not rocket science.
Oh you beat me to it! I wanted to mention that our views of the other areas are really a reflection of ourselves. Those who tend to be liberal would look at an area like Sussex and call it very conservative. Those who tend to be conservative look at an area like New York City and call it very liberal. It's who we are that shapes our comparative views of other places and people.

It's not really different that the crime conversations. Despite those who continue to seek out and post all the "horrible crime data and pictures" ad nauseum, the so-called "crime" in Delaware is all relative. For me, coming from New York, Delaware should be a walk in the park. For someone coming from (hmmmm, let's see) Switzerland, it could be a horror show. Again, it depends on who you are, where you come from, and what experiences you've had.

Eccentric? Not really. I think every little corner of the world has it's special characteristics and idiosyncracies. Your own views of any place will always be dependant upon your own frame of reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware