Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
At Fresh Pond state park near the inlet, I've seen lots of turkeys, deer, owl and geese. I've said it before when Bombay Hook has thousands of snow geese its an awesome sight.
Snow geese are really beautiful, but not to farmers. Near Smyrna, we watched the geese destroy 90 acres of our winter wheat crop, as our income went down the drain. We had 2 German Shepherd Dogs we trained to run the geese off. They were slim and trim from all that exercise and even jumped into the air trying to catch geese as they flew away. They never got any, and sure enough....the geese were back within an hour. They ate better than our family did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Snow geese are really beautiful, but not to farmers. Near Smyrna, we watched the geese destroy 90 acres of our winter wheat crop, as our income went down the drain. We had 2 German Shepherd Dogs we trained to run the geese off. They were slim and trim from all that exercise and even jumped into the air trying to catch geese as they flew away. They never got any, and sure enough....the geese were back within an hour. They ate better than our family did.
Thats awful!! Boy do I wish I knew you then, except on Sundays those geese would of looked good in a crock pot.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
The article is in the Delaware State News today, page 10 and there's a photo of the footprint. Area is west of Dover. I've read about this mystery before and the coyote footprint is smaller than this one. Cougar or mountain lion are possibilities mentioned. It will probably be coming to our town soon, to join the rest of the zoo.

In CT this past summer, people in Greenwich kept insisting they saw a cougar or mountain lion. The state wildlife officials insisted there were none in CT, but when shown photos, they then stated it must have been a captive one that escaped or was let loose by someone keeping it illegally. Then one got hit and killed on the highway in Milford, quite a distance from Greenwich and they could no longer claim we did not have such animals in CT. Turned out, after DNA testing, it had walked from South Dakota to CT over a period of a couple of years. So, if one can walk to CT, why not Delaware? Enjoy the wildlife from a distance. I love seeing wild animals and birds.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,910,629 times
I saw this "slim" down the road from my house a few weeks ago. Of course, he posed for a pic. We have many snakes here in our yard, some very brightly colored and unlike anything I've ever seen. I like them but my husband does not care for them.

Wildlife in Delaware-len.jpg

Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 AM

I had a coyote howling in the lot behind me the other night...for over four hours at that. I suppose it cornered a cat or was feeling amorous. Whatever the reason, it did a good job of keeping me up.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
I seem to recall that a couple of years back a black bear was sighted on the MD side of the state line, but within very close proximity to DE. Given the number of black bears in PA and NJ, you would think that they will eventually filter into DE. I'm not sure how much favourable habitat DE offers them.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 AM

405 posts, read 675,840 times
There was a series of reports about a black bear sighted as far south as Easton MD. This was a few years back, I think. There was no confirmation of this by any officials but that bear would need to have done a lot of swimming to get that far without being photographed or shot at.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:20 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
There was a series of reports about a black bear sighted as far south as Easton MD. This was a few years back, I think. There was no confirmation of this by any officials but that bear would need to have done a lot of swimming to get that far without being photographed or shot at.

Wasn't a rumor. DNR trapped it and re-located it back to western MD, where they thought it came from. There was also a bear killed on the Baltimore Beltway about 10 years ago.

Most wildlife biologists believe that there are coyote populations in all the lower 48 states now. A coming problem are feral pigs. They are starting to be seen, and killed, in Southern MD, enough so that I carry a few slugs with me when goose hunting even though that's technically illegal. It won't be too long before DE sees them.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:22 AM

We definitely have a coyote population in my area; I have seen two already and I hear them at night. I live near woods, fields, and farms so it's ideal for them. Lots of fox here as well.

Those feral pigs are BAD news. They are destructive and dangerous to both humans and pets. I sure hope they don't wind up here in DE but chances are they will....

Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 AM

405 posts, read 675,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wasn't a rumor. DNR trapped it and re-located it back to western MD, where they thought it came from. There was also a bear killed on the Baltimore Beltway about 10 years ago.

Most wildlife biologists believe that there are coyote populations in all the lower 48 states now. A coming problem are feral pigs. They are starting to be seen, and killed, in Southern MD, enough so that I carry a few slugs with me when goose hunting even though that's technically illegal. It won't be too long before DE sees them.
Yep. Here's the story:
Eastern Shore Black Bear Captured and Relocated - Southern Maryland Headline News

The coyotes are in the marshes around Broadkill Beach and the Primehook NWR also.
A friend of mine was surf fishing at Broadkill at night at was startled to see a coyote watching him at the edge of his lantern light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware