Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times

Advertisements

Delaware is also a place that has a great deal of colonial heritage that many people know very little about. We have a friend who has lived most of her life in North Wilmington, yet only recently visited Old New Castle for the first time! There are quite a few colonial churches scattered all over the State, as well as various houses and some public buildings. Also there are even more houses and other structures that date from the first few decades after independence. The thing is, most of this tends to be on a smaller scale than historic houses, churches and other buildings in Virginia and other states with colonial heritage, so it seems to have a lower profile. I suspect that the people in Delaware who are most aware of the colonial and early federal heritage live in Dover, Lewes, and Old New Castle where so much history has been preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
I've decided to make a short list of facts and opinions which reflect my experiences of living in Brandywine Hundred for 11 years and eastern Sussex for the past 26 years. Some will also include statements from my husband whose is from west Seaford and has family with deep Seaford and Blades roots. Here we go!

New Castle County:
-Urban areas
-Quite a few extremely affluent families and also many families living in poverty
-Large Jewish and Catholic population
-Much more fast paced than Kent and Sussex
-Has many schools that are not considered safe or a good place for students who WANT to learn, although Wilmington Charter, some Brandywine area schools, and Appo district are extremely desirable schools. There are many schools up there I would not want my son to attend.
-Lots of history and beautiful scenery in old New Castle and extreme northern Delaware
-Has the most industry and favorable jobs/employment
-Just my opinion, but the Brandywine Hundred area is one of the best and safest places to live up there.

Below the canal (will focus on Sussex since I am still unfamiliar with Kent):

Eastern Sussex/Beach area:

-Geared towards the tourism industry
-Not a great place for jobs that pay well and/or don't cut hours or lay employees off unless you are self-employed or work for the state
-Quite a few wealthy people living at the beaches
-Born and bred Delawareans are a minority here. Most residents are from out of state
-Large senior citizen population
-Decent sized Catholic population
-Can be considered "sleepy" during the months of December-March but that suits me just fine
-Has some of the best and safest schools in the state. Indian River School District is excellent and Cape is decent as well.
-Plenty of state parks and bays, creeks, canals, etc. for kayakers, bikers, hunters, or fishermen.
-Ample wildlife
-Growing problem with "pillheads" but I think that's everywhere

Western Sussex, where my husband is from and I used to work:

-Still many locals
-Geared towards agriculture
-Obvious poverty almost everywhere
-Not as developed as the DE beaches
-More of a slower pace compared to where I live
-Very friendly and down to earth people. Some of the nicest and most genuine people I have EVER met are from western Sussex
-Has a beautiful and rather large park east of Laurel--Trap Pond
-Growing crime and drug issue. Some areas are very unsafe at night
-Schools are not very good at all with the exception of Delmar school district and Sussex Tech
-Cheaper housing and COL in western Sussex compared to eastern Sussex
-Close to Salisbury which has some worthwhile employment opportunities. Some residents even head across the bay bridge for their jobs
-Has some very quaint and historic towns that are worth visiting

I'm sure I'll think of more descriptions for above and below the canal later

Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I've decided to make a short list of facts and opinions which reflect my experiences of living in Brandywine Hundred for 11 years and eastern Sussex for the past 26 years. Some will also include statements from my husband whose is from west Seaford and has family with deep Seaford and Blades roots. Here we go!

New Castle County:
-Urban areas
-Quite a few extremely affluent families and also many families living in poverty
-Has many schools that are not considered safe or a good place for students who WANT to learn, although Wilmington Charter, some Brandywine area schools, and Appo district are extremely desirable schools. There are many schools up there I would not want my son to attend.
-Lots of history and beautiful scenery in old New Castle and extreme northern Delaware
-Just my opinion, but the Brandywine Hundred area is one of the best and safest places to live up there.

-Not a great place for jobs that pay well and/or don't cut hours or lay employees off unless you are self-employed or work for the state
-Born and bred Delawareans are a minority here. Most residents are from out of state
-Can be considered "sleepy" during the months of December-March but that suits me just fine
-Has some of the best and safest schools in the state. Indian River School District is excellent and Cape is decent as well.
-Plenty of state parks and bays, creeks, canals, etc. for kayakers, bikers, hunters, or fishermen.
-Ample wildlife

-Still many locals
-Very friendly and down to earth people. Some of the nicest and most genuine people I have EVER met are from western Sussex
-Schools are not very good at all with the exception of Delmar school district and Sussex Tech
-Close to Salisbury which has some worthwhile employment opportunities. Some residents even head across the bay bridge for their jobs

As usual you're spot on which is what I'd expect from you and your better half, lol. I'd hate to jinx myself but this area, Shipley rd, Marsh rd, Weldin, rd like you said Brandywine hundred is really nice and virtually crime free as far as I know. Your DH could probably crush Laurel on certain aspects but I'm glad you guys didn't. I can't put my finger on it, I just like the town.

Last edited by James420; 12-18-2011 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: n

Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Thanks, James! Yep, we never had any issues while living on Foulk Road. We were gone every weekend from May-September to go camping at Holly Lake and nobody ever bothered our home while we were gone.

I have a couple friends who live in Laurel, and I used to go out for lunch at both Pizza King and the Laurel Pizzeria often when I was teaching in western Sussex. I LOVED their food (cheap but good!) and the small town atmosphere. I'd often see the same people eating there day after day, and it was just a very cozy atmosphere in general for my dining experiences. Oh, and their Georgia House is awesome too!!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM

32 posts, read 115,055 times
Thumbs up WOW...not an "average" response! good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It seems to me that a lot of the threads on this forum and indeed on C-D forums generally struggle with issues of trying to establish an reasonably objective picture of an issue at hand, related to a particular state or community. On the Delaware forum, the several crime threads would be a case in point. Statistics are offered in the service of objective fact, yet there is still frequently a "disconnect" between factually based statistical aggregate information and personal experience.

By the same token, it seems to me that some on this and other forums can brook no perceived or actual criticism of their native state, region, or community -- critiques are perceived and treated as attacks.

So this got me to wondering what set of descriptions of Delaware we could come up with, upon which we might all reasonably agree.

For example: The very northern top of Delaware is piedmont country that is consistent with the land and nature of Southeastern Pennsylvania just across the border. By contrast, most of Delaware is coastal plain, with sizeable wetlands.

I'm trying to choose what seems to me a very uncontroversial aspect to describe,

Don't know if anyone else would like to play this game, but here's how it would work. You make a statement describing some aspect of Delaware or part of Delaware. Other posters can accept the statement without comment, or alternatively offer some refinement to the description, or challenge it with a differing description (providing some explanation as to why). Everyone can keep adding new descriptive statements meant to flesh-out a picture of the state as a whole, geographically, culturally, demographically, etc.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM

k good job of summarizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post

New Castle County:
-Urban areas

-Ample wildlife

-Still many locals

Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Red face Delaware family..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Delaware is also a place that has a great deal of colonial heritage that many people know very little about. We have a friend who has lived most of her life in North Wilmington, yet only recently visited Old New Castle for the first time! There are quite a few colonial churches scattered all over the State, as well as various houses and some public buildings. Also there are even more houses and other structures that date from the first few decades after independence. The thing is, most of this tends to be on a smaller scale than historic houses, churches and other buildings in Virginia and other states with colonial heritage, so it seems to have a lower profile. I suspect that the people in Delaware who are most aware of the colonial and early federal heritage live in Dover, Lewes, and Old New Castle where so much history has been preserved.
I did genealogy for many years - My mother's side of the family were born and raised in Delaware as was I. I was born in Wilmington, DE, and raised first in Middletown, then in Newark. Much of the farmland around Middletown, DE was in my family, so I definitely see the changes over the years. Currently my husband and I are retired in Ferndale, WA. Here I see fields, silos, barns, etc. that remind me of how it once was in Delaware. At least one of my grandfather's silos still stands as does the farmhouse. Have been giving some thought to returning to Delaware, but have not decided for sure.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLambear View Post
At least one of my grandfather's silos still stands as does the farmhouse.
If it's accessable, I may be able to photograph them for you if desired.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Family in Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven302 View Post
OK...do you charge? I'll have to look up the names of the roads..so much as changed. One point of reference is "Boyd's Corner". "The Plains" ...with the remaining silo is on the part of the property and a housing development is on the rest of the property. The streets are named after my Uncle Gene's (Bullen) children, etc. Have a great day! *Tricia*

Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Default Family in Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven302 View Post
OK...do you charge? I'll have to look up the names of the roads..so much as changed. One point of reference is "Boyd's Corner". "The Plains" ...with the remaining silo is on the part of the property and a housing development is on the rest of the property. The streets are named after my Uncle Gene's (Bullen) children, etc. Have a great day! *Tricia*

Bullen Street, Middletown, DE - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware