U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,800 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Anyway, I'll be graduating from college in the spring, and I just got my very first real person job offer. (merry Christmas to me!) The only problem is it's in Newark, DE.

I grew up in nearby Chester County, PA, but I've been living in Pittsburgh for the last three and a half years. I've become a bit of a city girl, in that I've become very attached to my walk-to-everything lifestyle, including work, class, the grocery store, and bars/restaurants (I'd love to live in a place where I can head to a bar with some friends without worrying about a designated driver). I'd be living alone, so a safe neighborhood is also a priority.

After three+ years without a car, I would have to suck it up and buy one if I took this job, as the location of the job definitely precludes walking to work. That means I'd want to spend about $800 a month is rent, though I could probably afford a little more.

Any suggestions? After three years, Pittsburgh is starting to feel sleepy to me, and I'm a little concerned about hating being in Delaware. It's a really good job, though, and with the state of the job market I really can't afford to be choosy--I know too many people who are still looking for jobs in their field 2-3 years after graduation. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,427,700 times
if there is a good place for you in Delaware, it's for sure Newark. that's were the University is, main street with night life, restaurant, grocery stores, happenings ..... I think you will be fine there. I know a couple of folks there who just use their bikes or walk.
If you figured out after some time it might be too sleepy as well, you can move on in one or two years.
you can be in philly south street in about 30 minutes, too.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,796,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
if there is a good place for you in Delaware, it's for sure Newark.
I disagree. "for sure" is not realistic. Anywhere we go these days, we must be vigilant, whether in Delaware or elsewhere. Newark has not been free of some horrific crimes.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 AM

388 posts, read 852,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I disagree. "for sure" is not realistic. Anywhere we go these days, we must be vigilant, whether in Delaware or elsewhere. Newark has not been free of some horrific crimes.
Sorry to disagree with you, rdlr but Queenie is right, Newark will be fine for her. UndergoingMitosis, I, too, am from Pgh, and assume by your description you are leaving either Pitt, CMU, or Duquesne so I know you are very observant and vigilant in your comings and goings. Newark is no Oakland so you will be OK. Others more knowledgable than I can help you with specific suggestions for the area.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, rdlr but Queenie is right, Newark will be fine for her.
Well, I remember too well the 3 college students who were shot, execution style in 2007, in Newark. The 4th lived to tell about it, and I had met one of those killed. Newark is no different from other areas trying to counter the crime wave. Here is the report on the executions (2007) and stats the City presented. Maybe 2011 stats are much better.
My point is, not to sensationalize crime here, but I really wouldn't know what area to recommend to a young woman to live, which would be totally safe.

Shooting of 4 College Friends Baffles Newark - New York Times

Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,256,313 times
Newark is not Pittsburgh, but in today's economy, you go where the jobs are. You can always move if it doesn't work out. What is very nice about this area is the proximity to beaches. I would say to stay in either the Newark or Pike Creek area, but Newark is much more social and Trolley Square is very close. Lots of young professionals on the weekends in TS. Philly is an easy ride if you need more things to do. I would encourage you to get involved in community activities and there are many to choose from, and/or take a college course. You will be close to several Y's if you like to work out, and there are many young people who work out there.

Newark is very walkable--not so much for other parts of the state. TS is walkable. Like anywhere, be viligant and be very aware of your surroundings. Good luck on your new job.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,800 times
Yeah, I've been living in North Oakland, so I'm really not terribly worried about crime in Newark. I'm pretty aware of my surroundings, and I know that no matter where you go there are going to be some terrible things that happen.

I did grow up nearby, so I've been to Main Street Newark and such (and took a tour of UD's campus back in '07). But I didn't really get the chance to see where people live except for a freshman dorm. It sounds like I could find a place that is walk-able, and I was a little worried that it was the sort of place where everyone drives, parks, and then walks around.

Being close to the Y is a plus--I was a swimmer in high school, and still try to swim at least three times a week. I've found that a lap pool nearby can be a tall order some places, so that's good to know.

I was kind of hoping that someone would come out with a nice neighborhood in Wilmington that I'm not familiar with, though my impression of Wilmington is that most of it is not a terribly desirable place to live. I am curious about Trolley Square--would somewhere in or near there be an option? The building I'd be working in has a Newark address, but it's actually close to the Christiana Mall, so it's not quite as far from Wilmington as Newark proper (not that Wilmington and Newark are that far apart to begin with).

Old 12-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
well, if it HAS to be Delaware and listening to how she is describing her lifestyle, I don't think there was a better fit.
I never said newark is heaven on earth or the safest place ever ... I walked up and down main street so many times and never had a bad experience.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
well, if it HAS to be Delaware and listening to how she is describing her lifestyle, I don't think there was a better fit.
I never said newark is heaven on earth or the safest place ever ... I walked up and down main street so many times and never had a bad experience.
Considering all, I agree that Newark might be the best fit for the OP....Close to Philly and places she would enjoy, close to public transportation, too.

And, I also can relate to Newark, since I worked in the city for over 4 years, had lunch on Main St. every day, went to concerts at the Stone Balloon (shades of George Thorogood) and my great grandfather once owned the Deer Park. I never had a bad experience in Newark either, or anywhere in Delaware, for that matter, in my 71 years here. But the link I provided mentions some pretty bad stats. That's just about everywhere these days though.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 PM

funny you are mentioning deerpark ! a friend of mine asked me last year if i wanted to come to the deerpark after the halloween parade. I was delighted, since I lived next to a deerpark in germany and I thought it would bring back sweet memories.

o boy, that was something really different, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or