Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 PM

40 posts, read 227,067 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My family and I have off the whole week after Christmas and we would love to take a day trip or stay overnight somewhere we have never been. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours and it will be my husband and I and our 3 children who are 16, 8, and 6. Any great ides for a family day or two trip in the winter? Already did the whole Washington, DC thing. I looked online for ice skating at Rockafellar plaza in NY and the tickets were $75 per person!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
Baltimore, the inner harbor area and aquarium.

Philadelphia, the Independence Square area, but much of that is outdoors, might be too cold.

Yes I'm a bit of a nerd, but I loved the Herr's factory tour. That's only going to kill a couple hours, not worth a day or two. But it was fun. My 14 year old enjoyed it, my 18 year old was bored, but it wasn't his first time, either.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
I would go and do some sightseeing in Philadelphia. the please touch me museum is great (at least for the parents and the little ones), we always liked the Benjamin franklin museum.

if you happen to be in the baltimore area, you can't miss out the science center (also inner harbor)

Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 PM

31 posts, read 61,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesaw73 View Post
Hi everyone! My family and I have off the whole week after Christmas and we would love to take a day trip or stay overnight somewhere we have never been. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours and it will be my husband and I and our 3 children who are 16, 8, and 6. Any great ides for a family day or two trip in the winter? Already did the whole Washington, DC thing. I looked online for ice skating at Rockafellar plaza in NY and the tickets were $75 per person!!!!
I would go to West Virginia if I was you.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I would spend one afternoon and evening at Longwood Gardens. It is always beautiful, but especially at this time of year. I think you have to purchase tickets online now.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 AM

377 posts, read 1,115,155 times
Great Wolf Lodge- about 2.5 hours away (overnight)
Split Rock- 2.5 hours away (overnight)
Sahara Sams- 1 hour
Snow Tubing at Camelback 2.5 hours
Disney on Ice in Phili
Baltimore- Hippodrome theater has Lion King playing too.
Arundel Mills Mall- 2 hours away (Dave and Busters or Medieval Times)
Please PM any questions, I have done all of these

Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Last Sunday I spent the day in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Just two hours north of Philly Airport. The town is really quaint and historic, with lots of charming shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. There are some Colonial-era buildings open free of charge to the public. It was founded by Moravians in the 1740s.

Since Bethlehem is America's "Christmas City" they had a Christmas village selling all kinds of crafts downtown, carolers, and even a brass band playing holiday music. It was lively and even a little crowded but very manageable. On the mountain overlooking the town there is a huge "Star of Bethlehem."

For the two younger children you can go to town next door to Bethlehem, just minutes away, Easton, and visit the Crayola Crayon Factory Tour and factory shop. Easton is also very historic and quaint.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM

35 posts, read 64,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Last Sunday I spent the day in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Just two hours north of Philly Airport. The town is really quaint and historic, with lots of charming shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. There are some Colonial-era buildings open free of charge to the public. It was founded by Moravians in the 1740s.

Since Bethlehem is America's "Christmas City" they had a Christmas village selling all kinds of crafts downtown, carolers, and even a brass band playing holiday music. It was lively and even a little crowded but very manageable. On the mountain overlooking the town there is a huge "Star of Bethlehem."

For the two younger children you can go to town next door to Bethlehem, just minutes away, Easton, and visit the Crayola Crayon Factory Tour and factory shop. Easton is also very historic and quaint.
I really like this idea, Bethlehem is a lovely town. I wonder if New Hope, PA is doing something similar.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
Great Wolf Lodge- about 2.5 hours away (overnight)
Split Rock- 2.5 hours away (overnight)
Sahara Sams- 1 hour
Snow Tubing at Camelback 2.5 hours
Disney on Ice in Phili
Baltimore- Hippodrome theater has Lion King playing too.
Arundel Mills Mall- 2 hours away (Dave and Busters or Medieval Times)
Please PM any questions, I have done all of these
Split Rock isn't bad but Great Wolf is awesome, we've been there (Poconos) 10 times since it opened and we always have a great time. Shame though its so much money. The tubing at camelback is nice as well, especially if you can combine it in to Great Wolf.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 AM

377 posts, read 1,115,155 times
I love GWL, we got often. We have gone to Camelback, then GWL afterwards. Split Rock is nice, because there are other things there besides the waterback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware