Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM

29 posts, read 70,933 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Glasgow and will be starting the 2nd week of January. This means we need to move quickly and neither of us are familiar with DE at all. He has only been there for the interview and I have never visited DE. We currently live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, though we have only lived here for 4 months and before that lived on Upper West Side in NYC. We were very tired of city life and are looking for something quieter, so we are hoping DE suits us. We are both excited at the new opportunity.

We are looking for most importantly a safe area to live in. Our next criteria are a spacious townhouse and decent commute for him. We've lived in a tiny apartment in NYC for so long and are very ready to have some space to stretch out and set up a home for ourselves. We are looking to rent, as we are not prepared to buy so quickly. Some areas I'm considering, though know nearly nothing about, are Newark, Bear, Christiana, and Pike Creek. I've been reading some negatives posts about crime in Bear, so that makes me nervous. Hockessin seems like a beautiful, upscale community, but I'm not finding many rentals. Any hope you all can offer would be so greatly appreciated. We are planning to visit very soon and would like to have some potential rentals prepared to see. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Greenville Place Apts has a range of apartments and townhouses for rent. Most are older, though they have a modern tower on the sizeable property, as well. Neither Greenville nor Hockessin is especially convenient to Glasgow. You probably would do better to look in the Middletown, Newark and Bear areas for a rental. Someone else on the forum can no doubt advise you about that. If you do choose to investigate Greenville Place Apartments, it is in a very safe and upscale area north of Wilmington and is pretty conveniently located -- just not close to Glasgow.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 AM

13 posts, read 31,528 times
Default If you like water....

I know it is not in Delaware, but I always liked the condos in North East Isles (North East, MD). They are on the water in a very picturesque setting. I do not know the neighborhood well, but always liked the location. You would be a 12 mile, traffic-free, commute down Route 40 to Glasgow.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, Greenville does look a little farther than we'd like and the townhomes in North East, MD are for sale, not for rent. Both communities mentioned were beautiful - just not exactly fitting our criteria (in terms of renting and location)! Thanks so much. Any other suggestions??

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 7,439 times
East Wilmington is not safe. Riverside in Wilmington is not safe. Hilltop in Wilmington is not safe.

Bear is safe. Don't buy into the paranoia.

One of my best friends and a cousin have each lived there for ten years, and have no issues with crime. Some of the lower end complexes have vandalism, but its a safe area with affordable housing and plenty of townhomes.

There are plenty of townhomes in the Newark area, especially around I-95/DE 273. They are very affordable, and safe, but I don't think quite as nice as in Bear. But stay away from any townhomes on DE 4, or close to Newark. It's a college town, and you will find lots of college-related activity.

I think you should look at the Elkton, Maryland area, however. Same commute as Bear, but a lot of nice housing options, especially if you want to live near the water.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC302 View Post
East Wilmington is not safe. Riverside in Wilmington is not safe. Hilltop in Wilmington is not safe.

Bear is safe. Don't buy into the paranoia.

One of my best friends and a cousin have each lived there for ten years, and have no issues with crime. Some of the lower end complexes have vandalism, but its a safe area with affordable housing and plenty of townhomes.

There are plenty of townhomes in the Newark area, especially around I-95/DE 273. They are very affordable, and safe, but I don't think quite as nice as in Bear. But stay away from any townhomes on DE 4, or close to Newark. It's a college town, and you will find lots of college-related activity.

I think you should look at the Elkton, Maryland area, however. Same commute as Bear, but a lot of nice housing options, especially if you want to live near the water.

Thats right, just check out the Delawareonline crime map, it shows Bear as a really safe area. Lets not mislead anyone, parts of Bear are really nice and other parts aren't.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM

It seems like there is more crime in Bear than in other areas, but also some really nice housing options. Any opinions on St. Andrew's, Fox Run, Meridian Crossing or The Preserve at Christiana? We are planning to visit all 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware