U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 AM

683 posts, read 1,934,419 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if there is a ban in the works for cellphone useage while driving?
Agressive drivers on the phone who weave in and out while traveling at a high rate of speed while on the phone --how the heck can you use a turn signal while on the phone, and text mesaging should be banned while driving -period. My strong opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 AM

15,592 posts, read 7,722,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Anyone know if there is a ban in the works for cellphone useage while driving?
Agressive drivers on the phone who weave in and out while traveling at a high rate of speed while on the phone --how the heck can you use a turn signal while on the phone, and text mesaging should be banned while driving -period. My strong opinion.

Not sure but there ought to be

Even if there was a ban, what good is it. There will still be people doing what they want anyway.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM

199 posts, read 664,774 times
Hey,

I agree with both of you. When my wife and I arrived in AZ, we thought everyone was born with a cellphone attached to their ear. I don't care who you are; how smart you are; or if you're a great multi-tasker, with the traffic today, you can't drive and talk simultaneously. One job is hard enough. We even had some goof ball try and text message while driving - guess what, wreck! What did we all do before cell phones were invented?? If you need (I don't mean chit-chat) to make a call, pull off on the shoulder or into a driveway. I know some states (New York) have passed laws prohibiting cell phone use while driving.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:20 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,421,356 times
We did pass a law in New York to ban cell phones. In fact, my county was the first in the nation to do so. I think it's a good idea, but there are still people who ignore the ban.

The larger problem is that talking on the cell phone is not the only distraction that causes accidents. When I worked, I'd cross the Tappan Zee bridge daily and watch women putting on their make-up in the rear view mirror, men drinking coffee (or whatever was in the mug), and much more.

Charley
who is a born and raised New Yorker, and an excellent, safe, ultra-rated driver.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Hey,

I agree with both of you. When my wife and I arrived in AZ, we thought everyone was born with a cellphone attached to their ear. I don't care who you are; how smart you are; or if you're a great multi-tasker, with the traffic today, you can't drive and talk simultaneously. One job is hard enough. We even had some goof ball try and text message while driving - guess what, wreck! What did we all do before cell phones were invented?? If you need (I don't mean chit-chat) to make a call, pull off on the shoulder or into a driveway. I know some states (New York) have passed laws prohibiting cell phone use while driving.
Hey PeeWeez,

Hope you are having a great holiday. Now that I am retired, everyday is a holiday

I'm amazed how many people ignore the ban and get away with it.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:55 PM

Charley
who is a born and raised New Yorker, and an excellent, safe, ultra-rated driver.[/quote]

I'm sure you are Charley Sorry, I dont' mean to lump everyone into one category.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 PM

683 posts, read 1,934,419 times
I'm amazed how many people ignore the ban and get away with it. [/quote]

Here is an example of why I am so upset. I was at the beach with a friend.
She was driving a huge 4x4 . The kiddies were safely strapped in their car seats in the back. We were making a left turn at a very busy intersection and she was on the phone. She waited for the oncoming traffic and proceded to make the turn. In the meantime there were six or eight pedestrians crossing in the crosswalk. If I had not screamed STOP when I did we would have hit them all. To this day I don't know if she just didn't see them , just plain used bad judgement or was more interesed in her phone conversation. Driving while on the phone can be a deadly combination.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:58 PM

I continue and will forever maintain you cannot do two things at once with the same degree of concentration. If you need to use the cell phone, pull off the road. The expression, "You can't walk and chew gum at the same time!", applies.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 AM

902 posts, read 2,509,832 times
Frankly, I think the restriction should be nationwide. In NC, where we just moved from, they recently signed in to law a restriction for young drivers only. While I agree with that, as we all have noticed it is a problem with most/all drivers, not just the kids.

Mary

Old 09-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Well,
It seems unanimous that the posters on this forum think cell phone usage while driving is a no,no. Now, my next question is this - if so many of us agree, does that mean the telecommunications industry lobby is so politically influential that it doesn't matter what the public thinks? Does this come under the category of a silly or stupid question - duh!! Does this remind anyone of the great ATT debacle years ago when the monolith was busted up into many baby bells. Does it also look like this is happening all over again as Verizon and others gobble up each other??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware