U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 10,095 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Newark area for kids schooling (just over the DE/MD line). Currently living in Silver Spring, and we aren't happy with such an urban area nor the schools. My husband works in Rockville (Shady Grove area), but only has to go in to work 2 days a week.

Is a commute even realistic to consider?

Thanks,
Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 PM

181 posts, read 171,440 times
I would say it depends on what he's willing to tolerate . . . that's a 2 1/2 hour commute when it's not rush hour, maybe 3 1/2 during rush hour. It would be expensive too, between the gas and the tolls.

We live in Newark and are very happy here, but if I wanted to be close to Rockville and have good schools, I would be looking elsewhere in Montgomery County or in Howard County.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 AM

333 posts, read 422,001 times
We live in Middletown, De and my husband frequently commutes to the DC area from home for his employment. One of his locations is in Wheaton (not far from where you mentioned). He generally uses Route 301 and it takes about 2 hours each way.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,472,660 times
My own reaction is: Ugh! However, it totally depends on one's personal tolerance for commuting a fairly lengthy distance, much of it in heavy traffic, with the consumption of a signficant amount of time involved (and fuel costs). If the commute is going to be four or five days a week, that would really seem to me to have major disincentives.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM

83 posts, read 91,732 times
The nice thing about that type of commute is now he has the ICC to cut off some time (but then you have to pay for the tolls). However, Baltimore traffic can also be a pain to deal with.

For me, I wouldn't be able to do that commute, the traffic in Rockville alone made me crazy (we just recently moved from Rockville to the Dover, DE area). If you want good schools, yet still need to be in the DC area, I'd suggest Howard County. The schools aren't Wootton, Churchill, etc but they aren't horrible. Plus, its a little less expensive than most parts of MoCo.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies....

The only way we'll do it is if he only has to go in one/two days a week. Every day? Forget it!

We're looking into a private religious based school (Muslim) in Newark for our four kiddos -- they have a few around here, but the quality isn't great... only reason we're considering the move. That and the cost of living around here is INSANE -- very limited on what we can do together as a family because everything is so cost prohibative...

What about using rail/metro? Leaving from Perryville to Union station and then up to shady grove? "says" it's three hours -- but three hours that waywould beat 3 hours in the car. Or is it not efficient way to travel?

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,472,660 times
Expensive, if nothing else, I would think.

Let me just add that I loathe all non-public education based on religion, including Christian, Jewish, Islamic and what have you. Oh yes, worst of all: home-schooling. I hope that those who want to bring religion into more than worship spaces or private spirituality will just steer clear of not only DE but the rest of the USA -- including all the yahoos down South.

My exception to religion doesn't include institutions run by churches that operate their schools in reasonably non-sectarian lines, i.e. not seeking to inculcate a religious ideology into their students.

IME, there's no place for purely sectarian education in Delaware that would be recognised as legitimate by the state authority.

This is nothing to do with freedom of religious worship. The freedom of religion to intrude itself into state-recognised education is an entirely different matter.

Crypto-theocrats not welcome.

Last edited by doctorjef; 01-23-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 AM

83 posts, read 91,732 times
I see you have a very specific school you are interested in. I'm surprised there is no good Muslim school in the DC area since the diversity there is rather great as to compared to the diversity in Delaware.

Anyhow, using the rail system is always an option, at least that gives him time to read, or sleep, or get some work done on a laptop, etc. I used to travel from Laurel into DC (Foggy Bottom) and that would take about 30 minutes to get to the Greenbelt metro and then another hour to GW. 3 hours is probably slightly inaccurate I think, not due to train, but due to metro. WMATA is pretty awful, but it saves the headache of traffic.

Another option is to see if your husband can get a job in Philly, at least it's closer

Good Luck to whatever you decide!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM

119 posts, read 336,991 times
Two days a week is workable, if they are two days in a row he could stay overnight to reduce the driving. In today's economy these kinds of commutes are not unusual.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Yep -- he can do two days in a row, in fact, they are talking about requiring only being in the office one day a week -- it's a Federal job -- so no working in Philly unfortunately...

As far as Islamic schools -- yep, there are a bunch -- BUT, huge waiting lists, and quadruple the cost of Delaware. $500 for four kids in DE, $4000 a month for four kids in DC.

AND, DC -- well, it's not the friendliest place in the world -- far from it. We're originally from the midwest, and looking for a more family-oriented community...

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware