Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times

Advertisements

I am going to be staying in Dover over the weekend. I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on good places to eat and things to do.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Obviously see Legislative Hall and tour it if you can (the General Assembly is currently in session and I don't know what effect that has on tours, but it could also make them more interesting). Definitely visit and tour the Old Statehouse, the original 18th Centurey home of Delaware's government (it housed facilities for all three branches at one time). If Woodburn, the late 18th Century Governors House, has been reopened following recent refurbishment works (which may, however, still be in progress) see if you can visit that -- at least have a look at the exterior. The house is normally open for tours on the first weekend of the month, so this depends on exactly what days you will be in Dover. See old Christ Church and the graves in its churchyard (located in historic central Dover). The Biggs Museum, adjacent to Legislative Hall, is well worth a visit and is filled with 18th and 19th Century American Antiques, silver, paintings, etc. If you like airplanes at all, visit the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB. Check the museum website for days and hours of operation. Well worth the visit IMO.

McGlynn's Tavern is one place to eat that I'd recommend; also the reincarnation of the historic Golden Fleece Tavern, where Delaware's ratification of the Constitution took place prior to any other state ratifying, making DE "the First State". You will, of course, naturally see the historic Dover Green and its attractive old buildings surrounding the Green, since the Statehouse and other sites are located in immediate proximity.

Another place I like to eat - more because of the atmosphere than the food - is W. T. Smithers, which is located also in the "downtown" area ("old town" would probably be a better designation), quite close to the Governors House. Smithers occupies the former site of an old funeral home. I like to sit at the bar there both for meals and beverages.

Unfortunately you will apparently be in Dover the final weekend of January rather than the first weekend of Feb, so there will be fewer things going on and I'm thinking Woodburn won't be open to the public. If you are there over the weekend, the General Assembly won't be in session on Sat and Sun, so you might be able to tour Legislative Hall on Saturday at least.

Last edited by doctorjef; 01-26-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM

I should add another suggestion, even though I personally find the place entirely too twee: Where Pigs Fly is a barbeque place in Dover that one might like. I'm not too keen on pork barbeque either (in addition to the cutesy atmosphere of the place), as I like Texas style beef barbeque, esp. brisket (Wildwood Barbeque in Manhattan is an excellent location for that). Anyway, if you like pork barbeque, Pigs Fly could be another option (they have a website you can look at).

Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Talloolla, if you are able to do so, I would suggest changing the title of this thread to something like Dover Restaurant, Sight-seeing and Recreation Recommendations. Don't know if you will need to DM the Moderator (Toobusytoday) to do that. I'm not sure people hear will automatically pay much attention to a thread simply titled "Restaurant Rcommendations" (a little vague).

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
Thank you Doctorjef...You gave me some good ideas. We will actually be in town the first week in February, staying at the Holiday Inn - downtown I believe. Looking forward to just a short roadtrip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware