U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM

7,017 posts, read 10,321,824 times

Advertisements

Zwan-in-dale
with a long "a" like swan

other:
Leipsic = Lip-sic
Hazlettville = Hazelville
Little Creek = Lil' Crik
Lewis = Louis
Most newcomers spell Rehoboth wrong. It's not RehobEth.
And yes, Smyrna is pronounced Smirna, not Smeerna as I've often heard
And, it's 55 mph, maximum, on U.S. Rt. 13 and Coastal Hwy. (Rt. 1) to the beach (not 70)
And, while I'm at it.......No hand held cell phone in the car (Delaware law)

And, before I leave......We have the MOVE OVER law in Delaware. Flashing lights on a police car or emergency vehicle on the right shoulder means you should slow down, and move to the left lane, so as not to hit or side-swipe that vehicle. Those flashing lights do NOT mean you should whip over to the right and pass all the Delaware vehicles who are moving slowly in the left lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,504,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
How about Leipsic?

I always pronounced it LI-psic but an announcer on TV (native Delawarean??) pronounced it LEE-psic. He said the riverfront town was named after the German city of the same spelling and that is how I arrived at my version. Does anyone know the correct or accepted pronounciation?
I think the TV personality you were quoting is quite knowledgable. However we are a small market TV area and a lot of folks come through moving up. One once refered to Rt 13 by Laurel an interstate 13.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM

I've heard Road 13, too. Don't ever say DuPont Highway; that will really confuse the issue

Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
How about Leipsic?

I always pronounced it LI-psic but an announcer on TV (native Delawarean??) pronounced it LEE-psic.
No native Delawarean would make such a blunder.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,902,650 times
My husband pronounces the "boro" towns using two syllables instead of three, as do many native Sussex (and Kent) Countians.

He says "MILLS-bur" when pronouncing Millsboro. "DAGS-bur" when pronouncing Dagsboro...I have always pronounced them as they read (three syllables), but I spent my first eleven years in north Wilmington.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
My husband pronounces the "boro" towns using two syllables instead of three, as do many native Sussex (and Kent) Countians.

He says "MILLS-bur" when pronouncing Millsboro. "DAGS-bur" when pronouncing Dagsboro...I have always pronounced them as they read (three syllables), but I spent my first eleven years in north Wilmington.
Interesting, Liz. I've been in Kent County forever and pronounce Millsboro and Dagsboro as you do, with 3 syllables.

There was an enlightening article in the Delaware State News today which ties in with this discussion of pronunciations of Delaware's towns. The Census Bureau indicates Delaware has a population of 907,135 (2010-2011), which includes the 300,000 transplants who've moved into the state within the past 15 years. I think that could explain why there are various opinions in pronunciation. At this rate of growth, I predict by the year 2025, most everybody in Delaware will have New York, New Jersey, and New England accents, and pronunciations of towns will be completely different from the originals.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,902,650 times
Wow, rdlr...so you pronounce the boro towns with three syllables as well!! I have found that it is mostly elderly native Kent/Sussex Countians or people from the western areas (rural areas) of Kent and Sussex who pronounce these towns using only two syllables. Most people out my way pronounce them using three syllables, but my area is mostly New England transplants. I want to say that I am surprised that Delaware is literally 1/3 out-of-staters, but in my area that doesn't surprise me at all. I would say it's closer to 75 percent where I reside. My husband and I rarely encounter native Delawareans who live at the beach year round. If we do, they typically live on farms or land which has been in their families for generations. We live in a development and have absolutely no family ties to the beach area whatsoever. Yep, we're oddballs

Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,504,876 times
I have always pronounced these towns as 3 sylables of course I moved here years ago. We live in the 19966 (Millsboro) zip code. My son (a H. H. Senior ) was born in Nanticoke Hosp and has lived here his entire life going throught the local school system. I told him about this thread and asked him. 3 sylables he says.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
My husband and I rarely encounter native Delawareans who live at the beach year round. If we do, they typically live on farms or land which has been in their families for generations. We live in a development and have absolutely no family ties to the beach area whatsoever. Yep, we're oddballs
The Sussex County tax rolls (beach area) tell the story. Most of the beach area properties are second homes, vacation homes, or investment properties owned by people from other states. It's no wonder that pronunciations of town names are all over the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or