U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 22 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,071,105 times

Advertisements

New thread for those of us who hike in neighboring Maryland and Virginia's Eastern Shore. My husband and I went hiking at Assateague Island National Seashore today near Berlin, MD. We hadn't hiked there in a couple years. I decided to come off the coin and buy an annual pass so we can return later this year for some kayaking. It was either $15 for a seven day pass or $30 for a year, and the pass is transferable between vehicles but the person whose signs the pass must be present when the pass is used.

We hiked three distinct trails at Assateague today, all worth your while and not very long. However, the trail at the end called the "Life of the Dunes Nature Trail" is mostly sand and will wear you down a bit more than the woods and marsh trails which have boardwalks. It's my favorite trail there! We found a path which we hadn't seen before at the far end of the Life of the Dunes Nature Trail and went hiking down it--rather woodsy. It lead to the bay. A fox popped out of some trees, stared at us, and started walking towards us without a care in the world....yikes. My husband yelled at it and it finally meandered into the grass, but it didn't seem scared. Right after that, I spotted a dead pony off this new path (ewwww). Wow, wasn't expecting all that. However, the last time we were on this trail, we saw a dead beached whale. YUCK!! But anyway...we really had a good time at Assateague today. It's mid-February and there were enough people there already. I would advise avid outdoor enthusiasts to hike Assateague before the insects start biting again-they can be vicious there along with the summer weekend crowds. No massive crowds or insects this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 AM

574 posts, read 1,099,275 times
We've been to Elk Neck State Park a few times. Nice to be able to let the kids swim without having to drive two hours to ocean, and the kids like the calmer bay for swimming anyway.

There's areas for picnicking, hiking, etc and the park is huge!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM

I LOVE Elk Neck! My husband and I traveled there for the first time in November 2011. We spent a few hours hiking and enjoying the fall foliage, which was in full color. We also hiked to the lighthouse and climbed to the top (such a cute lighthouse!). That park truly is a gem! The cliffs are absolutely beautiful .

Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 AM

Assateague Island National Seashore yesterday--

Life of the Dunes trail overlook. By the way, that road in the background was once part of an "up and coming" community that was washed away by a 1960's storm...you can see the remnants of this little neighborhood (and the road) on the Life of the Dunes trail.

Parks in nearby Maryland and Virginia's Eastern Shore-dunes.jpg

Wild pony

Parks in nearby Maryland and Virginia's Eastern Shore-moon.jpg

Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM

201 posts, read 351,356 times
We hiked down to the lighthouse at Elk Neck last month. It was cold and windy so we didn't stay long, but are looking forward to going back in nicer weather.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 AM

35 posts, read 109,881 times
I know nothing about Elk Neck, but am surprised that the water quality is good enough for swimming. Is it truly?

Last edited by bookgrl; 02-21-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM

239 posts, read 439,086 times
Yes you can swim at Elk Neck if you don't mind bay/river water. The water is shallow and its pretty calm for the most part. There is a beach I think its $3pp in state. Not sure about out of state.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM

6,861 posts, read 7,806,872 times
Salisbury's park and zoo make for a nice afternoon.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 AM

357 posts, read 742,165 times
Just perusing this thread and wondering...does anyone know which parks are good with dogs (on leashes of course)?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM

239 posts, read 439,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Just perusing this thread and wondering...does anyone know which parks are good with dogs (on leashes of course)?

Glasgow Park.

There is also a dog park in Middletown on Levels Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or