U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Status: "Fall is here--couldn't come soon enough!" (set 20 days ago)

1,257 posts, read 1,322,097 times
I always thought we had high grocery prices here too...especially where we live. We have stayed a week or two in southern states (South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida) and had to go shopping for groceries. Prices were almost always cheaper down south. My parents say that groceries are cheaper where they live on Virginia's eastern shore compared to Delaware.

I try to buy large quantities when items I need are on sale at Food Lion, and I also shop at BJ's. BJ's can be hit or miss...some good deals, some not so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,551,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I always thought we had high grocery prices here too...especially where we live. We have stayed a week or two in southern states (South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida) and had to go shopping for groceries. Prices were almost always cheaper down south. My parents say that groceries are cheaper where they live on Virginia's eastern shore compared to Delaware.

I try to buy large quantities when items I need are on sale at Food Lion, and I also shop at BJ's. BJ's can be hit or miss...some good deals, some not so good.
I would suggest you get a Harris-Teeter Vic Card.If you go all the way to BJ's it's doable. I check their ads on my email. They do have some really good buys. They send out a second email with Vic card only deals which can be very good. You have to know which items because those prices are not marked in the store.I know Harris Teeter is not considered cheap but they DO have some bargains.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM

142 posts, read 142,620 times
I definitely agree with the groceries. I have been very frustrated with that. The lack of good, fresh produce is absolutely pathetic. I think we will be joining a CSA this summer to get better produce.

Overall, so far, I enjoy life in Delaware. It definitely has its own personality.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,414,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereshome View Post
I definitely agree with the groceries. I have been very frustrated with that. The lack of good, fresh produce is absolutely pathetic. I think we will be joining a CSA this summer to get better produce.

Overall, so far, I enjoy life in Delaware. It definitely has its own personality.
Aren't there lots of farms in Delaware? I would think produce would be plentiful and fresh.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM

4,619 posts, read 6,180,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
In NJ some of our grocery stores (Wegmana and Shoprite) had free babysitting while you were shopping. That was great. Many places also had delivery, with a charge of course. We always had our milk and bread delivered on Mondays. We had a milk box.
You know, until I read this I had completely forgotten that there were ever supermarkets that offered free child-care, but I now recall such arrangements in some supermarkets of my childhood in the late 1950s and very early 1960s. Typically they had an adult-supervised play area for children in the front of the store. Surprising that still exists in some Jersey stores (and perhaps elsewhere).

Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 AM

177 posts, read 200,951 times
Default Cape May County NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Here's a new thread for the complainers who've moved here, and wish this, that, or the other, because they left all the "good stuff" behind in their home state.

Here's my complaint: I landed in Delaware in 1940 and I wish those considering Delaware would investigate our shopping choices, distance to places they want to visit, and lack of all the other "wonderful things" (of which they are accustomed) that we just don't have here in Delaware. It never ceases to amaze me when people just can't wait to get here, and once the novelty is over, the complaining starts, from the lack of high-end grocery stores, to medical care, to fancy department stores.....on and on. It happens every time, over, and over, and over, again.

Feel free to air your complaints here, so the rest of us will have a choice as to whether we want to read the negatives, or not. Why ruin an interesting thread for the rest of us?

Besides, the complaints posted here will probably help other newcomers decide if Delaware is for them, or not, BEFORE they make the move. Those comments could save other newcomers from the surprises.
What you just said sounds like the same problem we have over hear in CMC.from those who move here from North Jersey,New York State,PA.They keep visiting here or move here.and it seems thats all they do is want to change everything,call up back woods hilbillies,out-of-timers,etc.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM

3,919 posts, read 3,092,014 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with the groceries. I have been very frustrated with that. The lack of good, fresh produce is absolutely pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Aren't there lots of farms in Delaware? I would think produce would be plentiful and fresh.
Yes brava. This poster is being silly:

farmers markets in delaware - Google Maps
Fresh Vegetables | Governor's Blog
http://dda.delaware.gov/pressrel/Far...tory_FINAL.pdf
Delaware Local Food Exchange Fresh Local Food at Fair Prices. Karen Igou, Proprietor 2400 Kirkwood HWY Wilmington, DE 19805 (inside Nature?s Way)
New Castle Farmers Market :: Farmers Market :: Flea Market :: Antiques :: Collectibles :: Fresh Produce

. . . to share but a few links.

All sizes | Magee Farm 25may2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/leecannon/4639264425/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-10-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,551,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
During the growing season there is no need to buy produce from the supermarkets if you are in Sussex County. Fresh eggs and honey also if you know someone or can read signs. Want to buy 1/2 a cow or a hog butchered? Gotcha covered on that too.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,744,451 times
Quote:
I feel so bad that you are completely in the dark..... Don't know where in Delaware you live, but all around the Dover, Kenton, Sandtown, Chapeltown, and Marydel areas, we have tons of Amish farms who sell fresh produce and much more. They even have fresh churned butter, buttermilk, fresh free range chicken, fresh baked bread-cake-cookies-pies, bacon, scrapple, strawberries, blueberries, apples, peaches, and pumpkins, along with all the starter plants so you can grow your own. I buy fresh tomatoes, parsley, corn, peppers, and make my own Pepper Corn Relish, and I buy fresh grown flowers from them, too. I grew up with the Amish, and helped them tend to their roadside stands, and I can count on one hand how many times I bought any of the above in a grocery store.....over a period of 50 years.

Farm Markets and orchards are plentiful in Kent and Sussex Counties. If I don't have time to visit my Amish friends, I stop in at Spence's Bazaar in the City of Dover, the big red barn. By June, fruits/veggies will be making their appearance, with each vendor competing with the next....all fresh homegrown products. If you're closer to Townsend, Willey's Market is the answer for ALL Fresh!

I think a lot of these remarks here are because people just don't know the area. They seem to think a "high-end" grocery store is the answer, over a WalMart, Shop Rite, or other. Not so; get out of your box and explore our area and all we have to offer!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,414,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

Well, that is exactly what I see when I've driven over that way to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware