Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times

Advertisements

Here's a new thread for the complainers who've moved here, and wish this, that, or the other, because they left all the "good stuff" behind in their home state.

Here's my complaint: I landed in Delaware in 1940 and I wish those considering Delaware would investigate our shopping choices, distance to places they want to visit, and lack of all the other "wonderful things" (of which they are accustomed) that we just don't have here in Delaware. It never ceases to amaze me when people just can't wait to get here, and once the novelty is over, the complaining starts, from the lack of high-end grocery stores, to medical care, to fancy department stores.....on and on. It happens every time, over, and over, and over, again.

Feel free to air your complaints here, so the rest of us will have a choice as to whether we want to read the negatives, or not. Why ruin an interesting thread for the rest of us?

Besides, the complaints posted here will probably help other newcomers decide if Delaware is for them, or not, BEFORE they make the move. Those comments could save other newcomers from the surprises.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM

80 posts, read 196,743 times
I will say this, having a vacation home in Delaware.................at this point, my only complaint is this, THE GROCERY STORES ARE SO OVERPRICED............how do families make it........We need a good old fashioned "dent and bent" store in LSD!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Its been awhile for me, 16 years in Claymont and North Wilmington, now I'm heading for Lewes as of Saturday, I will be in.
The only complaint I hear from northerners (north Delaware) that move to the beaches is the summer traffic, even my inlaws who moved down six years ago complain about it until I remind them that at 10:am it can take me 10 to 15 minutes just to drive the length of Naamans road which is what maybe 3 - 3.5 miles, and thats everyday not for 3 months, Silverside rd which is all over the place is a nightmare everyday, Phila Pike has as many lights as route 202 concord pike, and how bout that Christiana Mall I95 to route 1 interchange, thats a freaking nightmare all day everyday and has been for over 25 years when it was just the mall, how bout that 202 and I95 mess everyday. Btw, its not uncommon on Wed, Thur, or Fri from 230pm to 600pm for I95 south to be backed up from the route 1 exit all the way back to Mlk Blvd.

Did I forget Kirkwood highway, cripes I'd rather slide down a board full of
razor blades and land in a puddle of alcohol than drive that nightmare ever again.

Once I remind the inlaws or anyone else that moved down to the beaches of this traffic ALL YEAR LONG they have a big grin and say " Yeah its better down here". Appreciate where you live, but don't forget where you came from, and why you left. I'm not leaving up here because of the traffic either cause in the grand scheme of things, it isn't bad.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 PM

201 posts, read 414,306 times
I'm new, but I will admit to some disappointment with the lack of high-end grocery stores as well as fewer things to do with little kids . . . in Baltimore there were lots of bounce house places (just one here) and indoor soft play places (just one here), and there were a couple of libraries with really elaborate imaginative play areas for kids.

But one of each is better than nothing and overall we're very happy.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 AM

377 posts, read 1,114,966 times
I agree with the other posts. There are not very many things for kids to do around here. There are also not very many up scale strip malls (not that I am upscale haha)

The main thing I miss is the town feel. In Delaware I am not really part of a town. Technically I live in Newark, but my kids go to school in Middletown and next year one kid will go to school in Bear. I like having a town with a mayor, own police force, and a good recreation. A good recreation dept. is important. It is very difficult to find places for your kids to do your sports/ easter egg hunts/ father daughter dances, ect. When you live in a town many people know each other and it is a sense of familiarity. People can say Newark or even Middletown has this, but it does not have it the way I am talking about.

I am happy in De., but I would go back to my home state if I could in a heartbeat. Although I could probably not afford to.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 AM

388 posts, read 998,495 times
rdlr - good thread to start and yes, I think it will be a good resource for those living away who are considering DE. On the other hand, from your unique vantage point of being a native, our "complaining" is NORMAL and no doubt you would do it too if you found yourself living in another state. Asking for a better store or kids' activities is not bad. Its when newcomers want to change local government to suit themselves, when newcomers are loud and abusive of the local manners - THAT makes us appear ugly. I would say most of us wanted to come to DE and after a period of adjustment, blend in and accept the way things are. I'll bet, rdlr, deep down inside even you wish there was "something" that's not here, be it a store, an event, even an attitude! Its all in the manner in which it is expressed and yes, some people seem absolutely miserable here. Perhaps they should move on.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Just a thought for those poor folks whose kids have nothing to do. My son was born and raised in LSD. He is graduating H.S.this year . Plays 3 varsity sports. Is Very active in JROTC. He and his girlfriend go to the movies and out to dinner frequently (They worked during the summer and saved money) We may have had to drive a little bit but there were plenty of sports programs available to him as he grew.
Now on the flip side we have a relative same age who is graduating from a school in suburban Phila. She has nothing to do and sits home and reads books.
Life is what you make it!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I live in NoVa and traffic is a nightmare just in my county. When I go to work in DC, it is so bad. I live 2.8 miles from work and I leave 30-40 min. to get there. Crazy.

When people talk about not having high end grocery stores... just what do you have there? I pretty much just shop at Giant (you get gas points) and Safeway, (haha, never considered them high end). I am surrounded by Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Harris Teeter but rarely go into them, only when I really am feeling like something special.

I get newsletters from several small Delaware towns and there seems to be a fair amount of stuff going on. But then I don't have kids so I really don't notice what is available for them. I can understand the need for that.

I moved from New York City to Montpelier Vt, culture shock, yes, but I just got into whatever everyone else was doing and really didn't think about what I didn't have any more. Having tired of all the congestion, people and cars in NoVa I long for a small town and Delaware is on my very short list of places to check out. I don't feel I'd be disappointed.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 AM

201 posts, read 414,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I live in NoVa and traffic is a nightmare just in my county. When I go to work in DC, it is so bad. I live 2.8 miles from work and I leave 30-40 min. to get there. Crazy.

When people talk about not having high end grocery stores... just what do you have there? I pretty much just shop at Giant (you get gas points) and Safeway, (haha, never considered them high end). I am surrounded by Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Harris Teeter but rarely go into them, only when I really am feeling like something special.

I get newsletters from several small Delaware towns and there seems to be a fair amount of stuff going on. But then I don't have kids so I really don't notice what is available for them. I can understand the need for that.

I moved from New York City to Montpelier Vt, culture shock, yes, but I just got into whatever everyone else was doing and really didn't think about what I didn't have any more.
I miss Wegman's, for starters, and The Fresh Market. Loved both of those. We like ShopRite a lot but there are a couple of gourmet items we've had trouble finding here. Re kids' things, it's more about having lots of spontaneous options on rainy days (especially ones where they can get energy out). Library storytimes are great but I have two preschool boys with lots of energy to burn.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 AM

407 posts, read 966,827 times
I live in NY and can't wait to move to DE. Unfortunately I can't move yet because of a few loose ends that have to come to completion here....but I've made 5 or 6 trips all over DE and love it. I will not complain, and even if I do...the complaint list will be MUCH shorter than it is here in Long Island NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware