Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 16,205 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Magnolia delaware and was wondering what the average sewer and water costs are?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM

388 posts, read 998,424 times
Hi violetrose!

We have been in Magnolia since last July. Kent county sets the sewer rates at $70.55 per quarter no matter how many people are in your house. Water rates, as you may have read on this board, are rather expensive compared to other places I have lived. Seems water is one of the few things NOT cheap in DE! My first bill was for over $220 but that included set-up fees, deposits, etc. This past quarter was $119. There is just the two of us in our home (plus apparently 2 very thirsty cats!!). Hope this helps. Where are you moving to in Magnolia, if I may ask?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,259,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetrose1984 View Post
I'm moving to Magnolia delaware and was wondering what the average sewer and water costs are?
Thanks!
Hi, violetrose1984 - (I'm a native of this area)
Not all properties 'around' Magnolia are serviced by public water supply. Even though some subdivisions are, housing along the roads leading up to, and just outside the gates of those subdivisions, are not, such as Plain Dealing Road, Ponderosa Road, and many others (meaning NO water bills). So you can have a water bill in a subdivision, drive out to the main road, and those people just outside the subdivision don't pay a water bill because they have private wells. There are hundreds, hundreds and hundreds not paying water bills. Added to that, areas which are serviced by public water supply, could be serviced by either private community water supply, or by Kent County. Check rates for each location.

Magnolia is a town which draws water from their 3 wells, the Frederica Aquifer. The 311 people living IN Magnolia, obtain their water from that source. If you've moving in Magnolia, the number to call for rates is 335-0575.

Many of the newer, 19962 zip code subdivisions are located within the Kent County Growth Zone (not In the Town of Magnolia). This means the builders pay high dollar for farm land, which has been designated by the County for installation of public utilities. Those costs are packaged into the prices of homes within those subdivisions. Water rates may vary from one area to another.

So, you see, until you specify where within the 19962 zip code you are moving, your question can't be answered. Water can be free - to whatever you want to pay. You have options.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Default Thanks!

We are moving to chestnut ridge in Feb. Thanks for your advice. I know it's hard to give an exact number because everyone has a different situation. I appreciate any advice and estimates given!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 AM

84 posts, read 206,341 times
Which "chestnut ridge" are you moving to? Reserve, Village, Meadows?
We just moved into the Reserve at Chestnut Ridge literally last week!

Our first bill (for all of 5 days) was already $18 and change. Didn't look over the bill all that closely since we are still working on getting ourselves situated in the house so not sure if that included anything extra or not.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 AM

Default Chestnut Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post
Which "chestnut ridge" are you moving to? Reserve, Village, Meadows?
We just moved into the Reserve at Chestnut Ridge literally last week!

Our first bill (for all of 5 days) was already $18 and change. Didn't look over the bill all that closely since we are still working on getting ourselves situated in the house so not sure if that included anything extra or not.

We are in the Reserve also! We just got our things delivered on monday so we are also working on getting settled.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM

103 posts, read 360,471 times
All of us in The Reserve At Chestnut Ridge recently received water and sewer bills. Any thoughts?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Hi violetrose!

We have been in Magnolia since last July. Kent county sets the sewer rates at $70.55 per quarter no matter how many people are in your house.
Thats not too shabby (less then $24.00 month). Here in yucaipa we pay the highest sewer rates in ca @ $40.00 month with a $1.00 a month increase every july through 2014. The YVWD is a not for profit company yet they all got nice raises not too long ago. Also the service charges for water are increasing $1.00 a year through july 2014. DONT ever trust untility companies cause they are not your friends just like the greedy insurance companies.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM

297 posts, read 743,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Hi violetrose!

We have been in Magnolia since last July. Kent county sets the sewer rates at $70.55 per quarter no matter how many people are in your house. Water rates, as you may have read on this board, are rather expensive compared to other places I have lived. Seems water is one of the few things NOT cheap in DE! My first bill was for over $220 but that included set-up fees, deposits, etc. This past quarter was $119. There is just the two of us in our home (plus apparently 2 very thirsty cats!!). Hope this helps. Where are you moving to in Magnolia, if I may ask?
We used to pay about $35/month in Virginia for water and sewer combined. It kills me that we spend about that much now on just sewer alone! We're in Middletown, though, so no help for the OP. Just commiserating.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM

103 posts, read 360,471 times
My recurring sewer bill is $109.80 per quarter, for 2 people....this is not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware