U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 17,297 times

Advertisements

Preferences/prejudices? Best school systems? Cheapest? Safest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 AM

378 posts, read 498,311 times
"Delaware vs Eastern Shore vs Western Shore"
You'll get better results if you do individual searches on those questions.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
"Delaware vs Eastern Shore vs Western Shore"
You'll get better results if you do individual searches on those questions.
Plus, if you are really asking about Dover vs. Wilmington, ask the specific question.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,898,941 times
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to compare DE to the coastal sections of MD. Just my two cents, but Delaware's lower taxes make it the better choice (for us, anyway).

Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 AM

494 posts, read 672,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to compare DE to the coastal sections of MD. Just my two cents, but Delaware's lower taxes make it the better choice (for us, anyway).
And you have alot more better year round options for shopping, beaches etc in DE. Unless something has changed recently the only big problem is getting around in summer especially in the Rehoboth area but this is a problem for MD too and or all along us 50, us 13/113 and rt 1 south of Dover.

Back when i would say S.DE was pretty backwards when i first visited and lived in that area in the early 80s but over time MD's eastern shore has become the more backwards place. Ofcourse alot of it has to do with taxes and the layout of the areas. You cannot build/expand anymore in Ocean City because ala it is cut off from the mainland unlike Rehoboth/Lewes areas which keep pushing further and further inland. Hard for Ocean City and that area to compete anyways with the lower taxes in DE. Unsure about recent but DE schools ( along/east of 113 ) saw some massive improvements too.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Back when i would say S.DE was pretty backwards when i first visited and lived in that area in the early 80s but over time MD's eastern shore has become the more backwards place
Just what exactly do you mean by backwards? And from what point of reference do you make this claim?
Where did you live before you "visited and lived" in Delaware in the early 80s?

Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Just what exactly do you mean by backwards? And from what point of reference do you make this claim?
Where did you live before you "visited and lived" in Delaware in the early 80s?
1. Not as developed. Think of what say Ocean City looked like back then vs the Rehoboth area. No outlets etc back then up towards Rehoboth/Lewes etc. Yes even i remember when rt 1 was a single lane road in each direction. Thinking about it i first visited the DE coast in 79. I moved into the area in Jan 85 from the DC area. I lived in Ocean City while grand parents and a few other relatives lived up in Rehoboth and i eventually moved up that way in 1989/91.. Was back and forth for a while so i settled there for good in 91 just across the bay from Dewey in Long Neck, DE.
2. Coastal areas and or se of a line from say Milford to Salisbury.
3. I lived in the DC area and was born in Philly. I lived in that general area for 31yrs.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM

7,351 posts, read 10,790,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Back when i would say S.DE was pretty backwards when i first visited and lived in that area in the early 80s but over time MD's eastern shore has become the more backwards place.
In the 80's we think Delaware was getting pretty crowded, as compared to the 50's.

In a '55 Ford Crown Victoria, we cruised to Dover on our dates, to see a movie at the Capitol Theater, followed by a visit to Kirby & Holloways Drive-In. The girls on roller skates popped a tray up on the side of our car, and brought us our burgers and shakes. Before they popped the tray up, we covered the driver's side of the car with a towel. Dover was the "happening" place!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 AM

@HarryBTL:
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the beach-area towns were too crowded back in the 70s! Where the bayside outlets are now was where my uncle kept his pigs, lol. Now it's King's Creek or something like that.
I used to stay over with my grandparents in Rehoboth where they ran a business for many years. They retired in the late 60s and moved to rural Milford to get away from the crowds.
I remember the tree-lined two-lane version of rt 1. There are about 20 of those trees left.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
@HarryBTL:
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the beach-area towns were too crowded back in the 70s! Where the bayside outlets are now was where my uncle kept his pigs, lol. Now it's King's Creek or something like that.
I used to stay over with my grandparents in Rehoboth where they ran a business for many years. They retired in the late 60s and moved to rural Milford to get away from the crowds.
I remember the tree-lined two-lane version of rt 1. There are about 20 of those trees left.
I have never seen the area prior to 79 i think it was. My family had beach houses in Wildwood and Ocean City NJ and thus where we use to go when i was a kid. A friend of my mothers who had a summer place in Bethany is who got us to go there when we lived in the DC area. My Grandparents fell in love with the area and thus where they retired too ( briefly in OC and then Rehoboth ) in the early 80s. But yeah i remember when that was all open and you basically had nothing till you got on the other side of the canal on Rehoboth ave into Rehoboth and or Dewey on rt1. Most of what traffic was had back then on rt1 was headed to or from Ocean City which exploded in the 60s/70s big time. The only landmark/Building i can recall from back then is that old Church across from the Rehoboth Mall which has been there forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware