U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times

Advertisements

I happen to live in Claymont and have been for nearly 8 years. Over the course of living here I've watched my community rot away from rental properties that let anyone in as long as they can pay and the streets fill up with teenagers who would rather let their pants sag off their asses rather than go to school.

I don't get it. You'd figure that if you owned a house you would do what needs to be done to keep your home and area up keep, but it's like people just don't care.

I was hoping that ever since Brookview went away that the area would start to get better, but it seems it's still in the same position it was in. Sure I can go outside and sit on my steps but at times it's like why would I want to. To look at the local morons walk the streets like druggies and pimps in training or to get into an argument with the local riffraff cause they can't talk so themselves or keep a conversation without a curse being every other word.

I've gone to the police and I've even mailed the governor about this. Something needs to be done before I do something I'll regret or I just look for another home and just abandon my current mortgage ;(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymontguy View Post
I happen to live in Claymont and have been for nearly 8 years. Over the course of living here I've watched my community rot away from rental properties that let anyone in as long as they can pay and the streets fill up with teenagers who would rather let their pants sag off their asses rather than go to school.

I don't get it. You'd figure that if you owned a house you would do what needs to be done to keep your home and area up keep, but it's like people just don't care.

I was hoping that ever since Brookview went away that the area would start to get better, but it seems it's still in the same position it was in. Sure I can go outside and sit on my steps but at times it's like why would I want to. To look at the local morons walk the streets like druggies and pimps in training or to get into an argument with the local riffraff cause they can't talk so themselves or keep a conversation without a curse being every other word.

I've gone to the police and I've even mailed the governor about this. Something needs to be done before I do something I'll regret or I just look for another home and just abandon my current mortgage ;(
Is this me? Alter James420, perhaps. I left Da mont' 20 months ago after 15 years and my wife is a real Claymonster living there for 38 of her 40 years. It wasn't getting better fast enough for us, that community that replaced Brookview may take another 10 - 15 years to complete, maybe longer, Brookview has been gone since when 2006 or 2007 maybe longer. The Mannyunk design is still in the works for Phila pike so who knows maybe Claymont will return to its past glory, and I hope the Tri State Mall will be the next thing demolished.

With the refinery closures in Trainer and Marcus Hook I see a Chester vibe coming for that whole area, so do alot of other people.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 16 days ago)

1,770 posts, read 3,067,257 times
Family on my mother's side grew up in Claymont, and they fit the descriptions above. I can remember visiting them in the late 70's and 80's and it was pretty gross then, but they live in the crappiest part back then anyway. I don't have anything to do with them now, thank goodness.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM

711 posts, read 1,288,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymontguy View Post

Sound's like alot of Bear and Rt. 4 now...

Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,602,180 times
I've never been there, but you ask a rhetorical question. If folks weren't raised to respect their own and others' properties, what can you expect? Are there safety issues as well?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
I've lived in Claymont my entire life (I'm 25) and I agree it's gone way downhill. I lived in Brookview before it turned into the horrible place you're referring it as above. When I was younger, all my neighbors were friendly and respectable people. Next thing you know they're all druggies and dealers. We moved out of Brookview and down to the Claymont addition. I have no clue if my neighbors are druggies these days or not, can't even tell you their names. I stay inside...it's just not the same. Such a shame. I'm looking to relocate to the south. O.o

Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM

18 posts, read 106,670 times
There are good places in Claymont but the issue is that many of the areas that are bad in Claymont are mostly due homes being rented out and those tenants not caring. I'm not saying all renters are bad but from what I've seen first hand living in the area they really trash the place. I'm talking about throwing trash on the ground, tossing trash filed bags onto the side of the roads, doing drugs on the street in daylight and other fun things.

But there are really classy areas of Claymont; Randor Green and Claymont Heights for example. Speaking of which I happen to live in run down area and I'm in the process of moving to Randor Green for my family's sake and my sanity.

Last edited by keithdmitchell; 03-06-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM

3,762 posts, read 3,800,940 times
WIth the exception of probably Northern Wilmington, New Castle County Delaware has turned into a massive hole. Whenever I go back you just notice how the people seem less educated and less affluent. It probably has to do with the downturn in the economy after 2008, many blue collar jobs (which makes up a large chunk of NCC's economy) were simply lost. The above poster is right, Chester, PA is starting to spill into DE, and Wilmington decay has spilled outside of the city limits into New Castle (City). Leave NCC DE while you can and your property values are still worth something.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,317,043 times
Greenville, Hockessin, Centreville, Westover Hills, etc are still doing fine, than you. And within Wilmington, Wawaset Park and the Highlands are just fine, to name two areas. Stop spreading misinformation, for God's sake.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM

61 posts, read 132,910 times
While it is true that these areas are doing well, I must agree that a vast majority of New Castle County seems impoverished or surrounded by impoverished communities. I personally have only lived here 4 years and am super excited to be leaving and moving on to a safer and better place with better school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware