Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 21,591 times

Advertisements

does anyone know about the homes in BonAyre. are they worth the price?
is crime hi because of the homes that suround the mobiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Hi,
we looked at Bon Ayre and the homes are made by Marquette (I think). they are very nice and the community is nice as well. there are several 55+ communities in that area and I don't think the crime is an issue any more than anywhere else.

We decided on Southern Meadows cuz we like the style house better plus we got a 2 car garage as opposed to a shed.
Also, Southern Meadows has a pool and bon Ayre didn't. Bon Ayre was one of the first ones we looked at and one of the more reasonably priced communities.
While on our way to Bon Ayre last Aug, we made a turn into Southern Meadows and decided it was Southern Meadows for us.

Good luck. Do your research and weigh everything according to your specific needs and wants.
We looked for 3 years in several states and found what was best for us.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 AM

Thank you so much. as of yesterday we went to see southren meadows, and we too loved it but my husband is only 59 so we have a while before he retires so we can't be to far from Wilmington yet.
but all day he tried to convince himself it is not to far.
what about the trailer part that is right next to it, how is that, and crime likwe you say same everywhere?
the next ones that were in our price range was the bon ayre, looks like that is where we may go, or we are looking into modular in a non dev. in our price range hopelly in smyrna, townsend.
we are hoping our home will sell fast my kitchen the women tell me is a womens dream kitchen it is 25x30 and same for my living room. we love where our home is right on 40 borter of elton. but it is now to big for just us.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjtcd View Post
Thank you so much. as of yesterday we went to see southren meadows, and we too loved it but my husband is only 59 so we have a while before he retires so we can't be to far from Wilmington yet.
but all day he tried to convince himself it is not to far.
what about the trailer part that is right next to it, how is that, and crime likwe you say same everywhere?
the next ones that were in our price range was the bon ayre, looks like that is where we may go, or we are looking into modular in a non dev. in our price range hopelly in smyrna, townsend.
we are hoping our home will sell fast my kitchen the women tell me is a womens dream kitchen it is 25x30 and same for my living room. we love where our home is right on 40 borter of elton. but it is now to big for just us.
That trailer park next to us is owned by the same people that own Southern Meadows.
it is my understanding they own 12 trailer parks in DE and this is their first 55+ community.
We have no trouble with anyone in that park that I know of. If you look throughout De you will see there are nice developments right next to crappy parks. Or a gorgeous home with a crappy trailer right next to it.
I was amazed at how the area is so mixed.

Smyrna is closer to Wilmington. There is a bus that goes up route 13 into Wilmington. If I was to travel, I would take the bus. Be easier and less of a headache. I beleive the bus is 301 route.

I know what your hubby is going through for we were very anxious too. Each situation is different and what we should have done, we didnt' do. And that is to sell our home a year before and go into an apartment to save more money.
We would have made out rather well if we did that. People were getting more for their homes and we would have unloaded the expense.
But we didn't do that cuz my hub didn't want to. I caved that time but it won't happen again. LOL

I'm just so grateful everything worked out for the best and hope it does for you too.

Bon Ayre is nice but it had no pool and I love to swim in the summer. Also, bon Ayre is a much larger community and ours is smaller and more personal.
Plus, I couldn't stand the man in the office. Mr Draper or whatever his grouchie name is.
He can be so stupid and rude.
But once you move in I guess you dont' have to deal with him if you dont' want to.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:58 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Eliza,

I love your description of Mr. Draper, who I had not met. I think that Debbie who runs your office is a treasure! (Please tell her I said HI, if you think of it.) I like the staff at Nobles Pond / Wild Meadows also. They are really very good at getting back to you with information and I appreciate that.

As a side note, I never again heard from Independence. They were the ones who were closed for an office party of the day we went to see them and despite leaving a note under the door and a follow-up email, I never heard from them again. I'm not sure which is worse ... the grouch or the ones who never follow through.

Charley

Old 09-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Eliza,

I love your description of Mr. Draper, who I had not met. I think that Debbie who runs your office is a treasure! (Please tell her I said HI, if you think of it.) I like the staff at Nobles Pond / Wild Meadows also. They are really very good at getting back to you with information and I appreciate that.

As a side note, I never again heard from Independence. They were the ones who were closed for an office party of the day we went to see them and despite leaving a note under the door and a follow-up email, I never heard from them again. I'm not sure which is worse ... the grouch or the ones who never follow through.

Charley
LOL..............Could be a toss up charley.

You are correct about Debbie. We love her and trust her completely. She has been great. I still stop down the office just to chat with my friend. Marta also is a gem. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to them.

And yes, the staff at all the other communities were exceptional. Mr. Draper was the only one that I can't say I was crazy about. Oh, he is nice when you go in but call him later for information and he can be rude and short.
Also, we dropped by just to see the houses again and once he found out we were not buy in Bon Ayre, he was colder than usual.

Wild meadows, Barlcay and sussex were all extremely curtious (not sure of the spelling)

Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM

199 posts, read 938,449 times
Hey Charley,

Maybe the staff at Independence is still at the party - sounds like an alcoholic bender to me.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Hey Charley,

Maybe the staff at Independence is still at the party - sounds like an alcoholic bender to me.
could be peeweeaz or maybe they went bankrupt. Housing market has not been good.
Hopefully it will improve with the cutting the percentage.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the information. even with my hubby still working in Wil. and will have to travel more he loved the homes in southren Meadows and the country feel and no lawn to cut! and your right, Jackie is a doll. we are planning on going back down the 3rd 4th or 5th to check it out again and to time the drive from Wilmington. looking forward to meeting you if we move there. But it won't be for months, if our home sells quickly we will have to move in a appt. to the house is done.
I think we are a little younger than most who live there we are in our late 50's. but ready to be around our peers. You are right about that guy at bon ayre. sad that some people might have desided not to go there because of him.
well talk soon
JJJTCD

Old 09-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Oh I forgot to ask you do you know of any apartments down there that rent month to month?
and we are also thinking of looking for a modular home. a company that sells you the house and land prices close to southren meadows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware