U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM

10 posts, read 61,703 times

Advertisements

I have always driven through Delaware but now I am at a part of my life where I want to move to Delaware. Have no knowledge of the towns or cities. Can someone help me to find a area of Delaware to move to. I am an administrative assistant and hoping I can still find a job in Delaware that start off with $35,000.00 yearly. I have 2 children one in the 8th grade and the other in the 10th grade. Need a cultural environment. Also, seeking a townhouse or condo, I am a vet. I have pulled up willingboro and dover and it did not turn me on nor did Newark. Pls help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 AM

125 posts, read 428,802 times
A good area for townhomes & condos is the Pike Creek area in New Castle County. It's in the Red Clay School district which has a good feeder pattern for younger grades (Linden Hill School, Brandywine Springs Elementary) and lets you 'choice' which high school you want. It's a relatively safe area (some crime in the apartment complexes) and an easy drive to Wilmington or Newark, where most of the jobs are. It's also attractive, although a bit 'mass suburbia' and was on a recent list of 'best places to live' -- I think it was Money Magazine?

Not sure which area of area of Newark you looked at, some are nice & some are not... but the Christiana School District isn't as good as Red Clay.

By cultural do you mean diverse? Most of this state is. If you mean cultural places to visit... Philadelphia is a short drive away, as are many other historical areas.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Thank you!

I've been thinking I will try for an apartment first to get a feel of the area first. I am not looking to return back to NJ this will be a permanent stay. I do need to know the bad areas of Newark to stay away from. I am going see how far New Castle is from Newark and Wilmington since you say that is where the jobs are located. Culture meaning diverse and I thnk you for that. I am not into the Philadelphia area because where I am coming from is something like that. I only came back to NJ because of my father and now since he has passed it is time for me to leave but I do not want to go back to Florida (too hot!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikandmari View Post
A good area for townhomes & condos is the Pike Creek area in New Castle County. It's in the Red Clay School district which has a good feeder pattern for younger grades (Linden Hill School, Brandywine Springs Elementary) and lets you 'choice' which high school you want. It's a relatively safe area (some crime in the apartment complexes) and an easy drive to Wilmington or Newark, where most of the jobs are. It's also attractive, although a bit 'mass suburbia' and was on a recent list of 'best places to live' -- I think it was Money Magazine?

Not sure which area of area of Newark you looked at, some are nice & some are not... but the Christiana School District isn't as good as Red Clay.

By cultural do you mean diverse? Most of this state is. If you mean cultural places to visit... Philadelphia is a short drive away, as are many other historical areas.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 AM

I would really appreciate any info you could think of help that might help in deciding where to go in Delaware. If you know of any other areas that you like or that we should steer clear of please let me know. Reading the blogs I am interested in Pike Creek, Greenville area because it is close to Wilmington. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM

125 posts, read 428,802 times
Greenville is extremely expensive, but there is an apartment complex called Greenville Place that isn't too bad.

Newark is a college town, so some areas have mostly student rentals, especially along Elkton Road. I'd also avoid the entire Brookside area, which is anything off Marrows Road. The nicer areas of Newark are to the west, which runs into Pike Creek. I'd avoid the apartment complexes in Newark located on Capital Trail.

Arundal Apartments in Pike Creek are nice. Actually, I can't think of anything in the entire zip code 19808 that is too bad... Deemer's Landing Apts in New Castle are new and also very nice. Even better may be a rental property thru a private owner in a neighborhood.

If you look at some, and could narrow down neighborhoods, I'm sure me or others on this board can give even more feedback. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 15,003 times
Wink NJnowDelmaybe

My husband and I are looking at Delaware for the past 3 years, I live in Monmouth County NJ we want to stay close to family but we did our time as far as real estate taxes are concerned we live in New Jersey 39 years, I am from Brooklyn, he is Jersey City. It is disgusting that we among others have no choice but to relocate. I just hope we can fit in, I have been down there the weekend of the big Race in Dover I think it was May or June. We did not hit traffic at all we were in Dover and also Magnolia, Frederica we did not go to the shore that weekend I just want to go south but I don't want to be so far from NJ. We are going to do this by the beginning of the year. Please fill me in on over 55 stick built maybe modular if possible what is with these taxes are they real or is there something hidden. I am still doing research I do like the area, I will work possibility open my own business with those taxes I may not work. I may play. Here the over 55 communities are in the 300,000 400,000 and 500,000, taxes are in the 5000 to 12000 range this is the truth. Plus the maintenance I've seen people do this and don't understand why just to find new friends.

Last edited by enamon; 09-17-2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added on

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM

113 posts, read 436,127 times
Hi enamon, and apologies to others on this thread for not reading their posts thoroughly. I'm supposed to be working!

Enamon, yours caught my eye, because I've lived in Dover for going on 15 years, but spent some of my growing up years in Union County NJ, and also lived in NYC for a few years. In terms of you fitting in here: I think it depends who you're dealing with. We met a little "resistance," but also found people who were more interested in us than in where we'd come from. We were lucky to be moving to an area where quite a few family had already settled.

I have heard several people comment, over the years, that the Dover (Kent County) and the non-beach areas of Sussex are more southern than places they'd lived in the true South! This seemed to mean different things, but the implication was that this is good ole boy territory. That can be true, but is by no means universally true. Still, it was a contributing factor for some of our friends going back north or far west. For New Jerseyites, it can be kind of boring, especially in Kent and south, but if you're aiming at living a quiet life for the most part, you should do fairly well. Even extremely well! It has occurred to me that there are some great people on this board, who have just moved here or are planning to move here, who would make an excellent group of friends for other newcomers.

Charley, has provided a lot of detailed information for those embarked on the 55+ search.

If you were in Dover on a NASCAR weekend and didn't hit massive traffic, you probably timed it just right. That is, you were on the main roads DURING the race. (Actually, several races which lead up to the big Sunday race.) When all the fans are occupied at Dover Downs, those non-fans among us can move about fairly freely! Another big race this weekend, and fans are already beginning to accumulate in the area.

I know what you mean about New Jersey real estate taxes. My sister and family are renting a house in NJ, and would love to be able to buy, but know they can't manage the taxes. They have visited us here often, but have finally decided that Delaware isn't for them. We, ourselves, have been here long enough to want to move on, for various reasons, but some parts of the state, some towns, are a good fit for some people. I think Eliza (a poster here) is always telling people to do their research carefully, and I certainly support her statements.

Lori

Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,086 times
> It has occurred to me that there are some great people on this board, who
> have just moved here or are planning to move here, who would make an
> excellent group of friends for other newcomers.

I agree. I met Eliza during my last trip down and might have the opportunity to meet others on my next trip. It's possible that we could all end up in different communities, BUT Delaware is small state ... certainly close enough to visit the friends we make here.

Charley

Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM

199 posts, read 856,916 times
Boy, I messed that one up. The previous message belongs to JulieF, the one to which I wanted to add a comment. She had a good point about newcomers, particularly from this forum, making good friends, thus, offsetting the impact of the good ole' boy network. If you think ahead a few years consider this: If Delaware - as some people think - is becoming the new Florida, then eventually there will be more "foreigners" (out-of-state) than "natives" (good ole' boys). Therefore, the good ole' boy phenomenon will become moot. Looking at the negative side, however; explosive growth puts strains on the state's infrastructure. As bulilders throw up more houses, inhabitants will need services - utilities, medical facilities, transportation, etc. If the state gets ahead of the curve, (most states, like most bureaucracies, are usually behind the power curve) it might be able to keep up with the growth. Unfortunately, most bureaucracies can't see beyond next week - too many committee meetings to talk about the next meeting. Once the building boom is over, (Delaware is not that large. And remember, construction on the ocean side is probably over) and all the impact and development fees the builders pay drys up, somebody is going to have to foot the bill for the services. Guess who - Mr. and Mrs. taxpayer. At the moment, there is no sales tax and property taxes are low. Rockky doesn't think there will be a sales tax. But, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I don't mean to paint a bleak picture, but I'm sure it's the same anywhere in the country. Arizona is the fastest growing state in the nation and the aforementioned growing pains are obvious. As we watch the local morning and nightly news, I'm glad I don't have to work - traffic nightmare. I guess the only way to beat the system is to find your gem and move quickly to stay ahead of the horde.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,460,641 times
Quick correction, peeweeaz......I don't recall saying that I don't think there will be a sales tax. There is not *currently* a sales tax in DE. The retailer does pay something however...based on sales. At least that's what I was told.

I agree with you totally. There will be a huge increase in taxes of some sort. There is no way that the building boom and population increase will be able to be maintained at its current level.

DuPont carried a lot of the financial burden of DE. My guess is, in years past, you were either a farmer or you worked for DuPont. Then the Seaford Plant closed and jobs were lost. It's my understanding that the state was in a desperate financial position. The then governor, who happened to be a DuPont, wooed in the credit card companies and passed legislation that made basing in DE attractive for business. That is changing now as well. There is shake up in the bank card business. There have been lay offs with the selling of MBNA. The Chrysler Plant in Newark is closing.

Supposedly, DelDot is broke.

Yep. The money is going to need to come from somewhere, but I don't know where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or