Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,497,540 times

Advertisements

I think a thread about the State Fair would be great!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM

9,716 posts, read 14,248,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Yes, it would. We've touched on it quite a few times in various threads. I remember posting often about the Fair, but there was no separate thread that I can remember.
It was the Harrington Fair, then it was called the Kent-Sussex Fair, now the Delaware State Fair.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
OK, the title of this thread is deliberately provocative and a parody of the similarly titled Wilmington thread. However, what I want to discuss is the socio-economic problems of the portion of DE that includes places like Seaford, Laurel and Greenwood, and what the future of that part of the state may be. Today yet again I read a piece in the News-Journal regarding three young men charged in a shooting incident in Seaford, a couple of whom were apprehended during a traffic violation stop in Greenwood. These types of crime reports from southwestern DE are pretty routine fare, being reported very frequently in the newspaper.

There is, of course, no place anywhere that isn't afflicted with at least some crime of some sort, but when you think of the relatively low population density of southwestern DE, it might seem that area of the state has a quite high crime rate relative to the more densely populated coastal and northern regions.

My perception is that there isn't a lot going on economically in southwestern DE, the area has lost industry, and it's a backwater with little opportunity for youths whose families aren't agricultural land-owners. I wonder what efforts are being made to bring in more industry and jobs, and to rectify social problems there. I also wonder what future the area may have in terms of housing development for people who want to move to a more rural/small town environment -- the sort of folks who presently are moving to new developments in southern New Castle County or more central/easterly Kent County.

Any insights?
Bear, Glasgow area was the same 30yrs ago. Traveling over the St. Georges bridge was nicknamed 'Slower Delaware', and a different world. Middletown certainly isn't the same as it was 10yrs ago.

Where else is will there be to build new housing developments below Symrna and Dover? I have no doubt this area holds a better future.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM

711 posts, read 1,497,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Ok, lets get it going then...

Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,246,619 times
Default Disgusted

I just read this article from delawareonline: Two Sussex Council members oppose NAACP grants. I realize that those links don't always work, so here's the gist: Two Sussex County Council reps (Sam Wilson & Vance Philips) declined to offer $100 grants to the NAACP Youth Council because - get this - the organization has the words "colored people" as part of their name. As best as I can ascertain, these two council reps feel that it's "discrimination" to extend any funds to an organization that focused its efforts on any particular race. As a native Sussex Countian, I am disgusted that there is not one - but two elected officials who actually feel comfortable enough in their roles to display such ignorance.

I didn't know where to post this and remembered this thread. If I were a progresssive-minded individual, I might think the thread title is a valid warning to anyone considering re-location to this area.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,183,194 times
[quote=jm02;34796235]I just read this article from delawareonline: Two Sussex Council members oppose NAACP grants. I realize that those links don't always work, so here's the gist: Two Sussex County Council reps (Sam Wilson & Vance Philips) declined to offer $100 grants to the NAACP Youth Council because - get this - the organization has the words "colored people" as part of their name. As best as I can ascertain, these two council reps feel that it's "discrimination" to extend any funds to an organization that focused its efforts on any particular race. As a native Sussex Countian, I am disgusted that there is not one - but two elected officials who actually feel comfortable enough in their roles to display such ignorance.

I didn't know where to post this and remembered this thread. If I were a progresssive-minded individual, I might think the thread title is a valid warning to anyone considering re-location to this area.[/QUOTEi
I think they being are fair and not intimidated to cater to one group. I can imagine the fuss if they wanted
to donate $100 to NAAWP.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 PM

111 posts, read 150,629 times
I think they being are fair and not intimidated to cater to one group. I can imagine the fuss if they wanted
to donate $100 to NAAWP. [/quote]

NAAWP.ORG

The NAAWP looks like a racist organization.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,971,363 times
The NAACP is not a racist or discriminatory organization, and its membership is open to anyone. I myself have held membership in the NAACP (don't know if it's still current). The organization was started during the days of segregation/Jim Crow, decades before the federal civil rights legislation of the 1960s. In recent years they have championed progressive causes such as marriage equality and non-discrimination legislation for gay/lesbian and transgender persons. More Sussex County ignorance, backwardness, reactionism.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:05 AM

9,716 posts, read 14,248,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The NAACP is not a racist or discriminatory organization, and its membership is open to anyone. I myself have held membership in the NAACP (don't know if it's still current). The organization was started during the days of segregation/Jim Crow, decades before the federal civil rights legislation of the 1960s. In recent years they have championed progressive causes such as marriage equality and non-discrimination legislation for gay/lesbian and transgender persons. More Sussex County ignorance, backwardness, reactionism.
It's so disappointing to read such a statement. It's just more proof, that on the Internet, you never really know what a poster is really thinking. This reinforces to me, that so-called educated, well respected, and well traveled individuals also have crude character flaws, that eventually creep out. Making such a blanket statement, as the above, sadly, results in a null and void effect.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,971,363 times
Rdlr, did I say that this applied to all residents of Sussex County? No, I did not. So just untwist your knickers. However, the Sussex County Council and other elected county officials are a joke -- backwards dinosaurs and a sheriff who wants to play Wyatt Earp. The County Council seems obsessed with issues of prayer and the pledge of allegiance. The clerk of the peace refused to obey the law himself in respect to marriage equality. You've got at least two members of Council who don't seem to understand what the NAACP is, and one who is quoted as saying that people are too concerned with race, apparently oblivious to the fact that institutional racism and personal racial bigotry continue to be serious problems in this country.

Clearly eastern Sussex is rather different to western Sussex, and some of the state's progressive politicians represent the eastern portion of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware