Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 PM

70 posts, read 150,936 times

Advertisements

curious minds want to know ... from the peak in 2006 to a bottom, say, sometime in 2010 ... how much percentage-price-decline the house prices might suffer in the New Castle county towns of Delaware? I've heard that from 2002 to 2006 the prices had practically doubled in some towns like Bear, Glasgow etc. Now, they have given back how much % so far and how much more to go?

Will it be the case that a house that was only costing 200K in 2002, went up to 400K in 2006 and will be back to 225-215K again in 2010, almost finishing the round-trip?

fyi- the info presented at some sites points to an extremely gloomy picture e.g. have a read of this site: US Housing Crash Continues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:08 AM

60 posts, read 309,846 times
Latest issue of Money magazine has Wilmington listed specifically. Bottom predicted for this time next year with a 10% drop from current prices.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:27 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff822 View Post
Latest issue of Money magazine has Wilmington listed specifically. Bottom predicted for this time next year with a 10% drop from current prices.
If ou are selling a home today, you are darn lucky if you sell it. From what I heard, prices of homes have come down.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times
You can sell it, you just have to sell it for market price, which right now is lower than most people owe. Asking prices haven't come down much in Sussex Co. Whether they are selling is anyones guess. I would guess they are not.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
It's a given fact that the real estate market is not as fluid as it was during the big boom in real estate activity we've experienced within the last few years. Having said that, properties were over priced during that period, and now the market is stabilizing. Those exorbitant sale prices couldn't last forever; real estate runs in cycles. Having been in the business since 1982, I've seen a few cycles, dips in the market and rebounds. When I don't have to work 70 hour weeks anymore to keep up, I may start believing it's as bad as people say . I'm speaking for Delaware, only.

Here are actual current market statistics for all of Kent County, Delaware, between January 1, 2008 and May 18, 2008, as per Trend Multi List.

Units Listed for Sale 1,575
Listed Volume $424,000,585
Listed Average $269,206
Pending Sales (Under Contract) 549
Units Sold 424
Sold Volume $92,586,375
Sold Average $220,722
Average Days on Market 84
Average Original List Price $234,020
Average Sold Price $220,722
Percentage List/Sold - Homes are selling for 94% of List Price

The Sussex County Beach area is fairing better than this.
I also have New Castle County stats.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 AM

60 posts, read 309,846 times
Delly, Awesome info, thanks. Could you post the NCCo. numbers? I would also be interested in knowing the average days on the market for previous years if available. It seems to me, in Delaware specifically, that those that cannot sell opt to take their house of the market as opposed to lowering the price. Wondering if this will change over the next few years.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff822 View Post
Delly, Awesome info, thanks. Could you post the NCCo. numbers? I would also be interested in knowing the average days on the market for previous years if available. It seems to me, in Delaware specifically, that those that cannot sell opt to take their house of the market as opposed to lowering the price. Wondering if this will change over the next few years.
Glad it was helpful to you, cuff822!
Sure, I'll post statistics for NCC, and past DOM a little later today.....Have to leave now for appointments.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdelemschl View Post

Will it be the case that a house that was only costing 200K in 2002, went up to 400K in 2006 and will be back to 225-215K again in 2010, almost finishing the round-trip?
I'd say that's pretty close. Areas that saw sharp increases over the last few years because of a bubble will see about that much loss when the bubble bursts. Actually, the bubble has burst, but sellers will not or can not sell for market value right now because they owe far more than that. Unfortunately for those people, foreclosure is the only way out. What do you do when you can't make a house payment and your house is all of a sudden worth half what you owe?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Having said that, properties were over priced during that period, and now the market is stabilizing. Those exorbitant sale prices couldn't last forever;
Prices are set by the market. There was a lot more money in the economy and in buyers pockets back 8 years ago and the real estate prices back then reflected that. Now the economy is declining, people don't have the money they did and they are not paying the the higher prices. With more and more jobs going overseas the problem is not going to get better.

To say real estate was over priced in 2002 is not really accurate. Those prices were what the buyer was willing to pay back then. We look back now and say they were over priced. They are over priced based on our current economy. We are now willing to pay less, so the market has to adjust for that.

The problem is worse in more desirable areas. People with lots of money came to the beach and spent HUGE money on real estate. That drove the prices up very quickly. Less attractive area, like middle TN, Rural NC, etc. never saw the bubble that some other area saw and thus, are not seeing the crash to the degree that the rest of the country is.

Just remember the golden rule...A product or service is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Not a penny more...or less.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM

rossc... we could talk all day about the distinctions between price, market, cost and value. Price does not equal value, as much as cost does not equal value. Market value is an objective value and represents an amount purchasers agree to pay. The study of markets, supply and demand, Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations and other theories could be discussed at length, resulting in various opinions.....all interesting.

Regarding declining markets, each market, as you know is different, as well as within each price range, and location. Some markets have remained stable, I've found. I've also found that during the huge real estate boom, an artificial market was created (at least in Delaware) with lender qualifying guidelines relaxed, an abundance of monies available, 100% financing available for most, and exorbitant closing costs paid by developers on the buyer's behalf. It seemed every contract of sale on real estate resulted in a closed sale. .....shades of the S & L Crisis....

cuff822...Here are actual current market statistics for all of New Castle County, Delaware, between January 1, 2008 and May 18, 2008, as per Trend Multi List.

Units Listed for Sale 4,848
Listing Volume $1,361,990,333
Listed Average $280,938
Pending Sales (Under Contract) 2,053
Units Sold 1,663
Sold Volume $$436,850,875
Sold Average $282,688
Average Days on Market 74
Average Original List Price $279,822
Average Sold Price $262,688
Percentage List/Sold - Homes selling for 93.8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware