Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 12,493 times

Advertisements

(Thanks to solibs for "borrowing" this from another forum.)

When are you moving? June
Where are you coming from? Central PA (originally from Bklyn NY)
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Wilmington*
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House Max 300k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
We would consider renting but rents seem to be more than a mortgage and there just aren't many rentals available.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married 4 children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Homeschool
Do you have pets? 1 small dog
Do you want or need a yard? At least a little outside space
Are you keeping a car? 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Something in-between*

What do you want to be closest to?*
Work (downtown Wilmington) Can not have a long commute!
Would like to be able to walk to a playground
Would like a place with a real sense of community
So far we are leaning toward Northern Delaware

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would like a family friendly neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
With your price point, I'd be looking around the North Wilmington area broadly. This includes zip codes 19803 and 19810.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 AM

We've also been considering the triangle neighborhood (boundaries is Baynard Blvd as is N. Broom St., 18th Street and Concord Pike). Any thoughts on this area?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
There are some nice old homes over there but I'm not sure it has either the convenience or the same level of safety as North Wilmington (not that it's a bad area). It is also in the City of Wilmington proper, meaning you will have city taxes in addition to the New Castle Co. property taxes.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Thank you for your responses doctorjef. I wish more folks would respond but I bet if I posted something like "what do you hate about Wilmington" people would have something to share! It just annoys me that certain kinds of posts get so much attention but when you come here for practical concerns posts fall flat.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM

297 posts, read 743,250 times
Sorry, Curly, I've only lived in DE for 2 years, in Middletown. Sounds like the commute from here would be too long, and I am not familiar in the least with Wilmington. Wish I could be of more assistance. I imagine many folks are not answering because there are unfamiliar as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Curley - I lived in the city of Wilmington twice, though it's been many years. Both times I lived in the Trolley Square area. Many residents who work downtown walk to work from there. I know of families that lived there and it is an easy walk to Brandywine Park and the zoo. I'm fairly sure that area remains safe. The Triangle area also used to be quite nice, though it is not within walking distance of downtown for most people. A honest realtor will be up front with you as to whether the area is still safe and a good place for families.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Thank you all : )

Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 AM

347 posts, read 863,507 times
My parents live in 19808...might be worth taking a look in that area. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
My sister's split-level house is for sale in Holiday Hills, which is in north Wilmington. It's listed under 300K, move-in ready, in a very family friendly, safe neighborhood and has many upgrades along with a garage. It basically meets every requirement you listed. She is even within walking distance of a nice playground. Message me if you would like the listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware