Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,150 times

Advertisements

Delaware Hazardous Waste Sites (broken link)

This was in the News Journal today. The mechanics of the map don't work too well. Hope it answers some of the questions from a few months ago.

I think this is a lead story, and the rest will be in tomorrow's edition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Good Lord roccky...............I didnt' realize there were so many. How does this compare with othere states.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
I checked the Superfund site from the EPA this morning when I saw this. Delaware has 62 Superfund sites. New York has 489. Of course, New York is much larger. I continued to sort through the database and filtered for those sites that contain materials considered carginogens and/or radioactive. New York has 14. Delaware has 0.

I'm not sure how to interpret the data. I'm also not sure exactly whether a hazardous waste site is a problem on it's own. For example, the oil that comes from a car during an oil change is hazardous waste. It gets stored or processed somewhere. If the processing is done correctly, is that a hazard at the hazardous waste site? I don't know.

Also, if you ever noticed, hospitals have a few different colors of waste bags. Red waste bags are hazardous materials. In hospital labs, when you have your blood drawn and the nurse uses an alcohol pad to clean your draw site, the pad is considered hazardous waste.

So yes, the map looks scary ... but I'm not exactly sure about the real impact. I'd like to hear other opinions.

Thanks.

Charley

Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM

113 posts, read 482,475 times
Some people may want to check out the location of chemical plants before moving. We live in northwest Dover, and the little town of Cheswold is just a couple miles away, as the crow flies. Last year, leakage of some sort at the Reichold Chemical Co. there (very near the Delaware Tech campus) caused the air to become toxic near the plant, and was foul smelling even in our neighborhood. On the good side, we received an automated warning by phone.

I know someone who taught for years at Del Tech who says that there were often smells so noxious, it was almost impossible to take a breath near campus, especially after evening classes. Never any warnings back then. I'm guessing there should have been, but that no system was in place.

All right, I'm going to leave you with some good news, because there ARE some good things about this area, and more to come I'm sure. We hear that they're going to put the Dover Public Library where the post office is now. Move the PO, obviously. Truly good, because they can't expand further where Dover's pleasant but too small library is located now.

Also, yesterday and today the weather is gorgeous! Sunny, cool, no humidity. We'll have more heat and humidity before autumnal weather arrives to stay, but I'm enjoying the present conditions!

Lori-sister-of-JulieF

Old 09-16-2007, 12:23 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,150 times
Lori - I guess we were just outside of that chemical leak area. We never got any warning to stay inside.

My daughter called from PA to make sure we were OK. She knew about it 120 miles away. We didn't know anything.

Wow!! Good news about the Library. I hope that will provide more parking. I wonder where they are going to move the post office.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I checked the Superfund site from the EPA this morning when I saw this. Delaware has 62 Superfund sites. New York has 489. Of course, New York is much larger. I continued to sort through the database and filtered for those sites that contain materials considered carginogens and/or radioactive. New York has 14. Delaware has 0.

I'm not sure how to interpret the data. I'm also not sure exactly whether a hazardous waste site is a problem on it's own. For example, the oil that comes from a car during an oil change is hazardous waste. It gets stored or processed somewhere. If the processing is done correctly, is that a hazard at the hazardous waste site? I don't know.

Also, if you ever noticed, hospitals have a few different colors of waste bags. Red waste bags are hazardous materials. In hospital labs, when you have your blood drawn and the nurse uses an alcohol pad to clean your draw site, the pad is considered hazardous waste.

So yes, the map looks scary ... but I'm not exactly sure about the real impact. I'd like to hear other opinions.

Thanks.

Charley
Thanks for the information Charley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: