Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin59 View Post
Thanks for replying Mary. My sister and I could retire at 55 in 2 1/2 yrs. or at 58. Would like a general idea of housing prices. I could buy something for around 200K and change. Better if less?
Would like min. 2 bedroom, one floor. Maybe like to own or as you said depends on HOA fees,ect. if land lease.

I like to be in a community were people a friendly, not judgemental, open minded and helpful and considerate. I live on Long Island..in mid Nassau County. My house is worth maybe 430K and property taxes are $8,500. Can you give us a start on a community or two? Thanks!
Twin59,

So, we are talking 2 1/2 to 5 years out. You are in luck, because condo/townhouse prices have dropped in the past two years. Condos that were in the $250K - $275K range are now selling for $175K - $240K range! I expect the prices to stay on the low side (if not drop a little more) for at least the next few years.

At the top of my list ( I like the villa style condos the best) would be Plantations. They are older condos built between 1986 - 2000. There are some issues that should be resolved within the next few months ( see their hoa web site theplantations.org for details - Also a great deal of information can be gleened reading their quarterly updates on this site). They have a very active HOA. Accross the street is Plantations East ( built 2001 - to maybe 2006? townhomes) that might deserve a look as well. Many of these units are first floor OR have personal elevators for top floor access. Some of the units have garages and some don't.

Another possible condo built by the same builder as Plantations is Woods Cove ( considered Rehoboth DE) just about a mile further down the road. These are new condos still being built and start at around $200K. No pool or community center, but, low taxes, hoa, condo, water and sewer fees.

The condos I mentioned are in the 1200 - 1500 sq ft range and are about 5 miles west of downtown Lewes.

If you are 5 years out - The Vineyards at Nasusa Valley built by Schell Brothers might interest you. This planned community is what attracted me to the Lewes area 3 years ago. However, it has gotten off to a slow start due to the recession and will probably take 8 to 10 more years to complete. It may be an attractive option 3 or 4 years from now. It is supposed to be a miniture town with retail stores on the ground level and elevator access to condos on the second and third floors. Two Bedroom/ 2 bath units start in the low $200's.

There are some other condos right along route 1 that I have checked out, but, I prefer to not have the only access to the complex directly off of route 1. If you have questions about any of them, just ask. They just did not meet my criteria for various reasons.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,996 times
I thank you for your input..and and I'll start taking a look first week in May when on vacation.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Bear Trap Dunes is a great townhome and home development. It might go under the town name of Ocean View, but it is outside of the Rohobath and Lewes area.
It is very comfortable there. They have a pool and beautiful grounds. We have rented there a few times and just loved it.
Such a peaceful place. Yet, it is not all that far from the Fenwick Beach and the Bethany Beach area. You might just love the quietness of that area, we certainly did.
They do have one floor plans also.
There are also a few other condos and townhomes in that area that I'm sure you can google or get on zillow for pricing and location. ( check under Ocean View)
Best of luck to you.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,035 times
I live year round in Bethany, May thru September I hide. The rest of the year is just awesome.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Bear Trap Dunes is a great townhome and home development. It might go under the town name of Ocean View, but it is outside of the Rohobath and Lewes area.
It is very comfortable there. They have a pool and beautiful grounds. We have rented there a few times and just loved it.
Such a peaceful place. Yet, it is not all that far from the Fenwick Beach and the Bethany Beach area. You might just love the quietness of that area, we certainly did.
They do have one floor plans also.
There are also a few other condos and townhomes in that area that I'm sure you can google or get on zillow for pricing and location. ( check under Ocean View)
Best of luck to you.
Hi Sum! I sure to agree with you! Bear Trap Dunes is such an awesome community! Definitely, it's a few notches above the rest, an absolutely heavenly place, close to the beach, but away from the noise and crowded, touristy Rt. 1/Lewes area. For those who've not been to Bear Trap Dunes, it's like a small town with brick streets lined with quaint street lights, beautiful plantings, and even a bus stop with a shuttle to take you to the beach and back. Such an immaculate and charming community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendower View Post
I live year round in Bethany, May thru September I hide. The rest of the year is just awesome.
I know what you mean, and the tourists start coming earlier each year.

(just for the record........there's a spelling error in the title of this thread. It's R-E-H-O-B-O-T-H )

Last edited by rdlr; 04-20-2012 at 04:56 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Just a word about all these "tourists":

"The tourism industry stands strong as the third largest private employer in Delaware and an important part of our local economy," said Governor Jack Markell. "Visitors to our state contribute to our economic well-being by helping to create jobs at all income levels. They cultivate local businesses and communities and contribute to a greater quality of life for all Delawareans."

"Delaware tourism has grown to a $2.1 billion industry that employs 39,000 people and attracts over 7 million visitors to the First State each year," stated Alan Levin, Director of the Delaware Economic Development Office. "If the tourism industry can achieve sustainable growth during challenging economic times, just imagine the potential that the future holds."

Imagine the impact on state unemployment and your property taxes is not for tourism. Yes, it can get crowded and noisy at times and traffic is certainly not a lot of fun when more people are visiting this beautiful state, but I think you've got to consider that part of the reason you enjoy what you've got now is due to tourism.

I've been one of those "tourists" in Delaware for eight years now. Because the experience has been such a positive one, I will be converting from tourist to resident in 67 short days. I hope that tourism will continue to grow and support the state and local economies so that life in my new home state will be as I envisioned it.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Glendower--LOL!! Yep, I hide from May-Sept. also as far as visiting the beach. I stick to local kayaking which enables me not to have to deal with traffic and aggressive drivers. But yes, I agree....our off season is absolutely grand around here!

Bear Trap is very impressive; I like riding my bike through there. I have known a couple people who live there and they love it!

Last edited by DelawareLiz; 04-20-2012 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Glendower--LOL!! Yep, I hide from May-Sept. also as far as visiting the beach. I stick to local kayaking which enables me not to have to deal with traffic and aggressive drivers. But yes, I agree....our off season is absolutely grand around here!

Bear Trap is very impressive; I like riding my bike through there. I have know a couple people who live there and they love it!
Liz, you're fortunate to have such a great hobby....kayaking! If I was 3-4 years younger (LOL) I'd be trying that. Good for you, girl! It sounds like a great escape!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Thanks! Yes, it is probably the best sport I've ever participated in, and I wish I had started sooner. I meet the nicest people out on the water, and it is just so scenic and relaxing.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Hi to my sweet Delaware friends...Its this time of year that I think of Delaware and the wonderful family times we've had there. Especially the thoughts of the surry with the fringe on the top!
That bicycle ride with the five of us was such a joy on the boardwalk. The kids also enjoyed the Fun Park, and it was so inexpensive.
I didn't find summer all that crowded. It sure didn't feel like times I've spent in Seaside, NJ.

We loved Bear Trap and actually there seemed to be a few other nice condo places around there.

They do have their own restaurant too there and of course the golf. I liked all the sidewalks for strolling. It wasn't all that crowded in the summer at that location. We would just take the short drive up into Rehoboth and let the kids enjoy the rides then head back.
From there we also were able to do some fun things at Ocean City.
Our rides were never all that bad. I'd say Ocean City is the most congested.

I know how you need the tourists that way as we do here in Myrtle Beach. The main, busy, area of Myrtle is not by me so I am not concerned here with that either.

I love summers in any case.

Wow, and look at Charley he will be arriving in DE in just 60+days. I remember when it was in terms of years. Thats some wonderful news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware