Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
So in a scenario where somebody is driving the speed limit in the left lane and three cars behind him are tailgating impatiently I assume the police office would have to pull all four over. If the officer didn't pull the tailgaters over for following too closely, he/she could get them for accelerating to above the speed limit after the blocking car moves from the left lane (that's obviously their intent even if they hang back temporarily to avoid a ticket).
If the police officer had to pick one vehicle, it would likely pull over the slower vehicle up front for disrupting the flow of traffic in the left lane. As for the officer pulling over people for accelerating over the limit afterwards, that's their call depending on how fast that vehicle is moving. After all, the slower driver directly contributed to the tailgating by forcing the three vehicles moving a faster pace to slow down abruptly.

If all of this took place in the right lane, you could argue that the faster vehicle should have known better to use the right lane for passing but that's likely caused by the slower vehicle in the left lane creating a dangerous hazard among all of the drivers on the road.

People who travel in the left lane should not have to pass on the right lane and its no one is responsible for making sure everyone else is following the speed. If someone wants to risk running in the guardrail, let them. It has nothing to do with you.

Traveling slow in the left lane is just as reckless as people speeding

Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Personally i think all vehicles shouldnt have the ability to go above 55

Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If the police officer had to pick one vehicle, it would likely pull over the slower vehicle up front for disrupting the flow of traffic in the left lane. As for the officer pulling over people for accelerating over the limit afterwards, that's their call depending on how fast that vehicle is moving. After all, the slower driver directly contributed to the tailgating by forcing the three vehicles moving a faster pace to slow down abruptly.

If all of this took place in the right lane, you could argue that the faster vehicle should have known better to use the right lane for passing but that's likely caused by the slower vehicle in the left lane creating a dangerous hazard among all of the drivers on the road.

People who travel in the left lane should not have to pass on the right lane and its no one is responsible for making sure everyone else is following the speed. If someone wants to risk running in the guardrail, let them. It has nothing to do with you.

Traveling slow in the left lane is just as reckless as people speeding
Actually I'm okay with an officer pulling somebody over if they are going below the speed limit in the left lane, traffic is otherwise flowing smoothly, and people are trying to drive faster in the left lane. But there is an inherent problem in doing that when the left lane driver is going the speed limit. Ie. If the cop pulls that driver over then that will enable those behind the first driver (it has to be multiple cars or the first driver wouldn't be impeding) to break the law. That puts the officer in something of a conundrum unless he also pulls over those who are obviously itching to go faster - as evidenced by illegally following too close). And as for your tailgating excuse, I wouldn't want a police officer on the force if he or she accepted "he made me mad" as reason for getting out of a ticket.

But I agree people shouldn't try to enforce the speed limit by not letting faster traffic pass on the left.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Not complying with the Move Over Law really concerns me. State Troopers, municipal police, and those operating emergency vehicles have been killed because those traveling in the right lane sideswipe them when they are on the right shouldner attending to a situation. This law is for their safety. Does anybody know if other states have this Move Over Law? Maybe they don't know about our laws, or maybe
Yes, really most of us know. Hubby moves over quickly when police, or tow truck ( whatever) is on the side. ( from NJ, PA. SC)
I don't understand the ones who don't move over either...

Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Well heres a way to understand: i have to obey the speed limit therefore so do you.

Next time leave the house earlier and you wont have to speed.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Well heres a way to understand: i have to obey the speed limit therefore so do you.

Next time leave the house earlier and you wont have to speed.
You don't have to enforce it. Let the police handle that and your not obeying the "slower traffic keep right" which makes you just as guilty as the speeders. I follow the speed limit and stick to the right lane well but I notice how people sit in the left lane while cars bunch up behind them. This result is both lanes block traffic and those who are behind me people use the exit ramp to get pass me. Following the speed limit and still close in behind another vehicle does happen in the right lane. With that one person blocking the left lane, I can't pass. I wouldn't attempt to pass unless the left lane is clear.

You can't make people follow the law. They have to deal with the consequences when that time comes. If you're going to follow the speed limit, for your safety and others I strongly advise you to stay the right lane and use the left lane when passing and not intentionally block other people to teach them a lesson. If you're not passing, you're obstructing traffic. If people want to drive fast, let them. The police may or may not get them, it does not concern you. I've seen people drive past me and they got pulled over five miles ahead. It's a good laugh.

Last edited by Phyxius; 04-27-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 AM

id like to see the guy who has to explain to a judge and jury why he killed someone "ummm he was doing the speed limit". yeah a real class act.

Oh and ive done 55 in the left lane and had cops behind me. what did they do? they went around. And if they couldnt then oh well. looks like they have to obey the law.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
This thread is no longer on-topic for the Delaware forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware