U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times

Advertisements

A lesbian friend wants to retire in Rehoboth.

-- what neighborhoods are good for black professionals in Rehoboth?
-- what neighborhoods are good for gays in Rehoboth?
-- what neighborhoods are good for mixed lesbian couples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,318,057 times
The city of Rehoboth Beach itself is very small (and expensive). If you were actually to live in Rehoboth proper, I don't think you could go wrong with any of it in terms of any of your circumstances. For anything else, you really need a realtor to advise you. There are plenty of gay realtors in Rehoboth. I'm familiar with a couple of gay male realtors there, both of whom are pillars of the gay community, so I'm sure could give you guidance. DM me if you would like their names and contact details. Realtors are the only class of business we aren't permitted to give a public recommendation for on this forum. You could also see if you can get an on-line version of Letters from Camp, the monthly publication of Camp Rehoboth, which is the LGBT community centre. It will have a lot of local realtors advertising, including lesbian real estate agents. Camp also has an fb page if you are on fb.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
If you can afford it, anywhere is the small town of Rehoboth proper should be fine. West of Route 1 could be a bit tricky, however. If you happen to move into a community with transplants, you would probably be tolerated, if not welcomed. You might not find yourself as welcomed in a long-established local community. These stereotypes may be a bit dated - I'm not sure. If beachliz happens to see this, she might be able to offer an honest assessment of how a mixed-raced lesbian might fit into an eastern Sussex community a bit more remote from the beach itself.

As Jef says, a good realtor will be your best guide. Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 17 days ago)

1,770 posts, read 3,067,821 times
Agree with doctorjef--anywhere within the town of Rehoboth would be fine. And really, anywhere outside of Rehoboth/Lewes town limits within a five mile radius should be quite tolerant as well. Transplants are so abundant at the Delaware beach resorts and most of them would not have any issues with a gay or lesbian, mixed race couple. Not to say that locals would (most wouldn't), but even the older communities are mostly people new to the area anymore. I live in an older community, and 90 percent of the people here are from out-of-state. We had a gay couple in here (right next door) and everybody thought they were great neighbors. A couple older developments west of route one in the Lewes area come to mind as accepting: Sandy Brae, Rolling Meadows, and I'm sure there are others.

I think you'll find that 99 percent of the population at the beach would welcome you with open arms. I know that we have a growing lesbian population in my area and nobody I know says anything negative about this. Hope this info helps--please feel free to ask any questions pertaining to certain developments and I'll let you know the info I can recall.

Last edited by beachliz; 04-27-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM

7,352 posts, read 10,792,272 times
Yep, Rehoboth Beach is considered to be the gayest on the east coastline.

Gay Rehoboth Beach - Lesbian Rehoboth Beach - Gay Hotels Rehoboth Beach - Gay Guest Houses Rehoboth Beach - Pink Choice

and

http://www.camprehoboth.com/

Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,788,231 times
I certainly agree with Liz's post. The area surrounding the beaches is very open. I live in the area. People are much more concerned with whether you clean up after your dog or how keep your property than what you do in private.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Excellent. I'll pass this on to her. She's vacationed there a lot over the years and loves it. And Provincetown as well. She did call a realtor, who never called back. Obvisously that could be for a number of reasons. She was hoping to talk with one while she was there last week. Being a member of this forum, I told her I'd ask for her. Thanks. I'm excited for her, now.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM

681 posts, read 1,315,960 times
I reccommend Troy Roberts. He is a great realtor and we had a pleasant experience buying through him.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 10,749 times
Troy is a good guy for sure, check out the deals on Norwood street, in rehoboth, lots of gay owners and on the move, under 200k will get you a nice property! Sure to turn around , walk to the shops, bars and nice restaurants? Call Troy to see

Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM

681 posts, read 1,315,960 times
Oops...I'm not supposed to recommend? Forget I said that. I would be a bit careful on West Rehoboth; my suggestions would be the established communities of Spring Lake, Captiva Sands, Eagles Landing...get a good deal there and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or