U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 AM

36 posts, read 35,568 times

Advertisements

Hello people
I need some help. I currently live in Queens, NY and I'm considering the big move possibly moving to Delaware. I really don't know anything about anywhere besides NY and any advice would be much appreciated.

Well hear is some information about me
I'm 23 so I would want to move somewhere that doesn't have all retiress.

I have a 6 year old so schools are very important to me right now he is in the top school in his district.

I am running away from NYC to get away from the major hussle and bustle of the city and the extremely high rent prices. I would want to rent hopefully spending no more than $1000 a month for a two bedroom apt. I'm currently paying $1335 for a one bedroom which I think is quite ridiculious.

So people helpppp and O I need to move by August to get my son settled into our new place before school starts.

Thanksssss
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,299,272 times
Uhm, is employment a consideration at all?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Uhm, is employment a consideration at all?
No right now that's not a concern seeing how I'm legally disabled.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Given the age demographic that interests you, I would look in Newark (home to University of Delaware) or in Middletown (lots of young families). I'm not sure about your rental price point for something nice (not trashy or unsafe). Others here may be able to shed light on that. The school distirct for Middletown is much better than that covering Newark.

Delware has lots of retirees and seems "old" relative to many (most?) other places I've lived. That would be much less the case in the two places I suggested above.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,546,820 times
Sonotemo,
Given that you are presently living in NYC, do you drive? People living in large cities tend to assume that there is always some sort of public transportation available.

I used to assume that most everyone learned to drive by the time they were 18, but, that is not always the case if you grew up in a large city. If you don't drive that could have a big impact on where you call home.

Mary2014

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Given the age demographic that interests you, I would look in Newark (home to University of Delaware) or in Middletown (lots of young families). I'm not sure about your rental price point for something nice (not trashy or unsafe). Others here may be able to shed light on that. The school distirct for Middletown is much better than that covering Newark.

Delware has lots of retirees and seems "old" relative to many (most?) other places I've lived. That would be much less the case in the two places I suggested above.
I'm thinking Newark might be the place I'm running into that alt on my search. I spoke to a townhouse complex out there today and got some pretty promising information. I was told rent on a two bedroom woud be less than $1000 which is magnificent compared to the $1335 I pay for my one small bedroom here in NY. I haven't looked at Middleton but I will because the schools are a big thing for me.

Doctorjef, if you have any info that you think might be of help to me I woud greatly appreciate it. I'm moving 3hrs away from everyone I know so the more info, the better. Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Sonotemo,
Given that you are presently living in NYC, do you drive? People living in large cities tend to assume that there is always some sort of public transportation available.

I used to assume that most everyone learned to drive by the time they were 18, but, that is not always the case if you grew up in a large city. If you don't drive that could have a big impact on where you call home.

Mary2014
Mary2014, you are completely right you don't need a car in NYC. I have literally 2 to 3 buses outside my window. Thankfully I have my license and a car. I don't like the city and the constant buses everywhere that's another reason I'm trying to move.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM

I would definitely look at Middletown because of the schools. It is possible that rents could be a bit higher there, as there will be less inventory and relatively newer and possibly relatively more upmarket apts. Look at both Newark and Middletown --make a trip to see the places, because Middletown is very much a suburban bedroom community, while Newark is a small college town, larger and more established than Middletown.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM

201 posts, read 350,520 times
Even better, there's a part of Newark that's covered by the school district in Middletown, that's where we live.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin730 View Post
Even better, there's a part of Newark that's covered by the school district in Middletown, that's where we live.

O, Kristin that sounds great . I'm planning on making a trip down there next week is there any places specifically I should go? Also since you live there would you happen to know about the apartments in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or