Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

My husband is in a wedding band. They usually play up in the Philly area but this summer they have a wedding all the way down in Rehoboth on a Saturday. We live an hour north of Philly, so he really wasn't looking forward to doing it. I grew up in Milford and he and I have lived in Rehoboth together.

We haven't really been back to either place, except for quick drive-thru's for 20 years so I suggested that we spend the night before his job at Rehoboth. He could meet the rest of the band on the Saturday and then ride back with them to our area. It's not a perfect solution, but at least he and I would have some time to walk around and spend a night in a place we loved. After he hooks up with his band people, I would then be free to go up to Milford and maybe have an early dinner with a HS friend and look around town.

Here's what's making this not work - I can't find a place that's not uber expensive in Rehoboth that's nice and doesn't require two nights. I don't want to stay on the highway either. I found a B & B in Lewes that sounds nice and we could spend the day we go down in Rehoboth and then the next morning in Lewes. I love Cape Henlopen State park and I have a cousin that lives there. We would then meet the band people in Rehoboth and I would drive to Milford and then home.

Our other option is to spend the night in Milford at a B & B that has excellent reviews, and is well priced. My husbands not so keen on that because it's not his hometown and he would rather spend our all of our time at the beach. I'm thinking that we would drive from here straight to Rehoboth, spend the whole day there, spend the night in Milford and then we would have the morning in Milford and then back to Rehoboth so he would meet up with the band people. The downside is that last part and the horrible yucky beach traffic.

Am I missing an option?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
TBT - If you have not been to Rehoboth on a Saturday in summer you are in for a real surprise: the traffic on Route 1 is crippling. If you can afford it, it might be worth it to cough up the dough and spend Friday night at one of the expensive places in Rehobth.

Plan B is a no-brainer for me: Unless you are dying to spend time in Milford, I'd stay in Lewes. If you do stay in Lewes, I'd suggest your husband talk with the folks who contracted his band and ask how much time you need to allow to negotiate Route 1 from Lewes to Rehoboth to be at the venue on time. Leaving Lewes early on Saturday morning and spending the full day in Rehoboth might be the best solution. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a day.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
TBT - If you have not been to Rehoboth on a Saturday in summer you are in for a real surprise: the traffic on Route 1 is crippling. If you can afford it, it might be worth it to cough up the dough and spend Friday night at one of the expensive places in Rehobth.

Plan B is a no-brainer for me: Unless you are dying to spend time in Milford, I'd stay in Lewes. If you do stay in Lewes, I'd suggest your husband talk with the folks who contracted his band and ask how much time you need to allow to negotiate Route 1 from Lewes to Rehoboth to be at the venue on time. Leaving Lewes early on Saturday morning and spending the full day in Rehoboth might be the best solution. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a day.
I agree with you, jm! That seems like the best solution.
Riding back and forth anywhere in that area around Rt. 1 on a weekend is a sure fire way to kill precious time and ratchet up the blood pressure. Easier said than done, and not fun.

Having said that, Friday night traffic is more than bad from Milford south to Rehoboth. It's horrendous! Allow time. Took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Dover to the Bottle & Cork to see Little Feat. That was 5 years ago. Never Again! Saturday morning, bad, but not as bad as Friday night.

A 2-night minimum for lodging in peak season is the norm.
Catching Milford on the way home makes sense to me.

Oh, TBT.......Dinner? Lines are long during the weekend, peak season. And watch for gum on the sidewalks.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM

We lived three doors down from the Bottle and Cork!

If we do plan B and stay in Lewes, can anyone think of a place where we could meet husband's band friends so he can hitch a ride on their way into Rehoboth so I wouldn't have to drive down there and then turn around and go up? Is there a restaurant or a gas station just north of Lewis?

Not too worried about long dinner lines. We can grab a slice of pizza at Nicola's!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
We lived three doors down from the Bottle and Cork!

If we do plan B and stay in Lewes, can anyone think of a place where we could meet husband's band friends so he can hitch a ride on their way into Rehoboth so I wouldn't have to drive down there and then turn around and go up? Is there a restaurant or a gas station just north of Lewis?

Not too worried about long dinner lines. We can grab a slice of pizza at Nicola's!
So the band is coming down Rt. 1 towards Rehoboth?
And, will this be Friday night?

Nicola's has lines, too, but maybe you'll hit it lucky.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 PM

They're (the band) planning to get into town in the early afternoon on Saturday. They've played there before and half of the band is from Delaware so the traffic won't be unexpected.

Realtors, See This.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Oh, that might be a better time.
The best place I can think of for picking you up would be the Lowe's Parking Lot, on the southbound lane, right at 5 Points, Lewes, just south of Grotto's. It's easy to get in and out of, and it's a wide open parking lot. In my opinion, meeting at a gas station, or restaurant along there would be too congested.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Just thought I'd give you and update on our trip this weekend. We ended up staying with my cousin in Lewes. Friday we drove straight to Rehoboth and spent the whole day there. Beautiful weather. Thrasher fries for lunch! Traffic was not bad at all. We saw all of the places we used to frequent and took pictures of where we used to live. Rehoboth has held up well and we really enjoyed our day there. The only downside was feeding the meter - 10 minutes for a quarter!

Yesterday was spent with my cousin. We spent most of the day touring the town and stopping at various spots in Lewes. What a wonderful little farmers market! There was a lot going on yesterday and there were people walking everywhere. If I could have a second life, I would live in Lewes! We also popped over to Cape Henlopen State Park for some quick pictures. This is such a great park and hasn't changed much since when we lived in Delaware - thank goodness!

My husband's band actually played south of Rehoboth at Delaware Seashore State Park, down on the Inlet. Beautiful day for an outdoor wedding! Traffic was surprisingly light again both ways from Lewes to the Inlet and then back up for me to Milford.

I spent the next few hours with my sister visiting the schools we had attended, the church where we both married and of course, Main street. Milford looks much better then it did when I last visited, especially the main street and the Riverwalk. It was disconcerting to see places that we recognized but were now something different. Our old house looked small and not so well cared for, which was a bit sad. The schools, OTOH, looked really good and much bigger. I didn't realize that the population must have increased or perhaps the catchment area changed. Another good day in Slower, lower!

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware