U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 5,826 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I'd like to know what the good parts of Claymont would be. We're including that area and would hate to be stuck there for ten years, have to deal with declining property values, crime, and whatever else may be going on there. If anyone has any further updated information on Claymont, we would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,045 times
Default Good Areas Of Claymont

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryNg2DCide View Post
Hello All,
I'd like to know what the good parts of Claymont would be. We're including that area and would hate to be stuck there for ten years, have to deal with declining property values, crime, and whatever else may be going on there. If anyone has any further updated information on Claymont, we would greatly appreciate it.

Hi TryNg2DCide,

This is my first post here on City Data so please forgive me if I don't know the "etiquette" and lay of the land yet. I noticed you asked your question quite a while ago so I'm hoping to be of some help to you if you are still considering our area.

Of course my answer is opinion-based and biased (I live in Claymont and do like our neighborhood) but please be assured there ARE good neighborhoods in Claymont. We are also transplants to Delaware, so I know exactly how hard it is to decide where to live.

All that being said, in my opinion after living here for 12 years and having 1 child graduate from Concord High School and 2 others still in the Brandywine School District, these are a few neighborhoods that are family-friendly, quiet and the houses are mostly well-kept by the owners.

Darley Woods
Indian Field
Ashbourne Hills
Radnor Woods
Radnor Green

I'm only mentioning neighborhoods that I have personal knowledge of so I am positive I'm NOT including all of the decent neighborhoods in Claymont. I hope others will join in the conversation with more advice for you.

Some things to keep in mind about Claymont (and most of North Wilmington for that matter):

-The majority of the houses are old. Ours was built over 60 years ago.

-A lot of the neighborhoods are in a kind of transition from original owners to young buyers. It's rare to find tons of kids on any particular street in any of these neighborhoods. Our kids are older than most of the kids on our street so they're "bored" playing outside.

-Delaware is not only the state with highest percentage of kids in private schools or home schooled (per capita) but we also have the "School Choice" option. In a nutshell, you may apply to have your child attend any of the other schools in Brandywine School District. Whether there's room in the desired school is an entirely different store. Because of these options, I find the few kids that do live on our street, and in our neighborhood, mostly attend different schools. This also has an impact on how "close" the kids become as friends.

-There is a "stigma" of living in Claymont because of some really yuck neighborhoods. To name a few off the top of my head:

Knollwood
Stoneybrook
Green Tree Apartments (not sure about the Green Tree neighborhood, adjacent to the apartments)

In Claymont, the odd thing is, "good" neighborhoods can quite literally be just a few streets over from the "bad" ones. And of course it's always a small percentage of people in a neighborhood that can spoil it's reputation and crime rates, so I hope people realize this is not a personal attack of any kind, just my observation and experience.

-Fortunately, there are quite a few civic organizations working very hard to turn around our town both aesthetically and monetarily. A lot has been accomplished by these organizations in just the 12 years we've lived here including:

-Bylaws (I'm assuming this is what they're considered, even if it is not the right terminology) aimed at creating architecturally cohesive "fronts" of new businesses along Philadelphia Pike in Claymont. Existing businesses must also adhere to these "bylaws" when updating their buildings as well.I have yet to attend one of these meetings and I really must get to one soon! A "Main Street" feel is what is the goal, at least that is what I understand.

-A public park was built and is being nicely maintained.

-A new library is currently being built. The plans are beautiful with lots of open space, beautiful landscaping, a large pond, etc.

-There is also a new neighborhood being built now. The development is called Darley Green, I believe. These town homes are some of the few newly built homes in our area, that alone is making them a desirable place to live. This is because Claymont (and North Wilmington) has already been built up just about completely. Since new construction is a rarity in Northern New Castle County, most homes in my neighborhood have not only held their own but have increased in value these past few years. Our home's value has gone up by nearly 25% despite the crazy financial and housing markets in our country right now.

-Of course another great draw of Claymont is the proximity to routes I 95 and 495. We are only about 20 minutes south of Philadelphia and about 90 minutes north of Baltimore.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck with your decision and move!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,826 times
Thanks so much for replying!

We still haven't found the one, but have been looking in Claymont and Brandywine. It's such a shame that there are pockets of good and bad. Plus, I have to say that it is a good point to bring up about kids not being that close because they don't share the same school. I know that could be true concerning Brandywine area as well.

It seems as if, on this board, people recommend the same places to live in Delaware. Claymont has so much going for it as far as proximity to amenities and the potential to create a town vibe and walkability. It feels as if I'm taking a gamble, and I'm not one to gamble. Again thank you for your reply.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,045 times
So we decided to live in Bear, at the foxrun apt complex at least for the first year. Kids will be in Christina school district, to be exact Keene elementary, gauger-cobb MS and my HS son will be going to the brennan school, the autism school. We decided on Bear for now because it is 10 min from my husbands job and less than 10 min to each school. I am a nurse and can't work right away while I await my DE license. This will give us time to truly get to know the area and where we want to settle and allow us to get our home here in NY sold. My hubby will be there the end of August and the kids and I will be there the end of September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or