U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,359 times
Default Wanting to move to the "Slower-Lower"

I know that "moving to DE" threads are a dime a dozen but I am interested in the opinions of those south of the Wilmington/Newark area. My family and I will be moving from the midwest and have spent the last few years in the inner city (by choice, though we now regret it.) So when my employer offered to relocate us out the MD/DE/NJ area we immediately gravitated towards Delaware. My wife and I have rural roots but like I said have spent our recent history in the concrete jungle, so we do not want anything to do with Baltimore, DC, Newark, Wilmington, etc. As a matter of fact the 36K+ people in Dover seems like too many for our liking. So, on to my question (finally):

My work will be based in Smyrna, but will extend throughout the MD/DE/NJ area, so what small towns would be best to raise our family, in a quiet, quiant, safe area that still maintains ease of access to major throughfares and relative (20 miles or so) close proximity to grocery/box stores.

Thanks for staying with me through this rambling!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,540,204 times
I nice slow paced town in DE is Ocean View. I think it is a wonderful town to settle in. It has some charming stores. Some nice golf courses, and restaurants in the area. It is a quiet peaceful little place. Ocean View is close to Bethany. There is a good grocery store near by.
But,if I wanted a peaceful town to settle in, it would be that town. Quiet and Quaint.....

Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Status: "Fall is here--couldn't come soon enough!" (set 21 days ago)

1,257 posts, read 1,323,333 times
Hands down, I agree with Summering . If Ocean View isn't too far south for you, then I would highly recommend it. Nice stores, restaurants, homes, parks, inland bays, the nearby beach....I could go on and on. Violent crime rarely (if ever) occurs, although we do have property crimes.

Don't blame you for not wanting anything to do with a concrete jungle; I run like a spanked donkey away from cities. However, I must say that Ocean View has really come a long way since I moved here ten years ago. We now have many more stores, improved roadways, central sewer throughout the town (no septic systems), and now we're getting sidewalks and bike lanes with the new route 26 widening project. Route 26 is the main roadway through Ocean View, and I'm glad to see that the town is attempting to keep up with the growing population.

Let me know if you have anymore questions--I consider myself an expert on my town .

Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM

583 posts, read 578,910 times
Love Ocean View, but be sure you check the distance to Smyrna. Quite a haul. North of Smyrna and south of middletown there are a lot of places that are secluded. Hopefully others will chime in. Good luck!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM

514 posts, read 344,772 times
i suggest you look in smyrna- lots of very affordable housing and a nice town center as well. also you're close to dover for shopping but far enough away to avoid congestion there.
other possibilities north of smyrna are townsend- still a small town with old and new housing. you are near middletown for basic shopping, restaurants,etc. parts of middletown are possibilities; it is very family oriented, good school district, and halfway between ammenties farther north and beaches to the south.
i don't know if milford- larger than smyrna and townsend- would be too far. i know less about this area but have heard some good things about it. there you'd be between dover and the beaches.

there are lots of possibilities in areas close to smyrna, and each town has its own flavor; it's really a matter of personal taste.
good luck!

catsy girl

Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Thank you all for the responses! Summering & Beachliz, unfortunately the thought of a 3 hour daily roundtrip commute keeps us from looking that far south. Though weekend trips to the beach will be likely be regularly in the cards. daFrogMan & catsy girl, the more research we do, the more we like Kent Co. How is the traffic in and out of Dover and Middletown? Are there any public school districts to avoid? We are a little ways away as our son is not quite a year old, but we would like to get him involved to pre-schools and YMCA-type activities since we will be far from family and friends. Thanks again for all your input!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM

514 posts, read 344,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanforthecounty View Post
Thank you all for the responses! Summering & Beachliz, unfortunately the thought of a 3 hour daily roundtrip commute keeps us from looking that far south. Though weekend trips to the beach will be likely be regularly in the cards. daFrogMan & catsy girl, the more research we do, the more we like Kent Co. How is the traffic in and out of Dover and Middletown? Are there any public school districts to avoid? We are a little ways away as our son is not quite a year old, but we would like to get him involved to pre-schools and YMCA-type activities since we will be far from family and friends. Thanks again for all your input!

the west side of middletown , where all the "big box" stores are can be congested, especialy in rush hours. the east side, nearer #13, is somewhat easier to navigate. dover can become congested as well, although i have been on route 1, between middletown and dover, during really busy times and never found it to be too bad south of middletown.
the appoquinimink school district- middletown- has a good reputation and draws many families to the area. i don't know that much about what district dover is in.
you might be interested in odessa area, the newer developments off of #13, south of historic odessa and a little north of smyrna, as they are still in appoquinimink school district, close to shopping in middletown, but a little bit removed. also it would provide easy access to smyrna and points north.

catsy girl

Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM

4,619 posts, read 6,180,941 times
"Congested" being a very relative term when it comes to Middletown. Delawareans will complain about the slightest amount of traffic and think that Wilmington has big city traffic (it doesn't). The only truly heavy traffic in DE occurs on portions of I-95 within the state's borders and on Rt 1 in the beaches area during summertime, especially at weekend and holidays.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM

I have also heard the yearly vacationers clog the system as well. When does that usually happen?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM

4,619 posts, read 6,180,941 times
Memorial Day to Labor Day, mostly from Fridays through Sunday evenings. It really only bogs down between Lewes and, I guess, Ocean City, MD, although our experience rarely involves going south of Rehoboth on such occasions. The rest of Rt 1 can be crowded but will be flowing. The problem is largely that you start running into a lot of traffic lights on Rt 1 from around Lewes on south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware