Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM

560 posts, read 915,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55erinDE View Post
If you look around at some of the slow mo communities being built by little known builders such as JHov in Lower Slower, you see Ryan Homes signs along side of or replacing the original builder which might say something about Ryan's ability make a living at it. Kinda like the turkey vultures preying on the dead.
"Lower Slower" is a local reference that applies only to Sussex County. JSHov has only one development in Delaware...Roesville in Kent County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 5,207 times
I have to chime in 2 this is very entertaining and each argument does remind me of a political war. Whatever you choose to do or wherever you choose to live YOU should do all your research! Why buy in a community that promises a clubhouse why not buy in one already established? Also when you moved into the community that has a farm nearby you have to understand that during certain seasons there is going to be plenty of activity on that farm....if you don't want the dust then that isn't the place for you....shop around, talk to the people in the community. Everyone has their different likes and dislikes that is why there are so many different communities around!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM

31 posts, read 80,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I am by no means promoting Ryan Homes, but they have in fact taken over in many failing communities, because their business model is to not own a large amount of real estate, so they come in to a community such as booming Roesville and buy up lots, build, and make a profit. They're actually one of the more profitable large public home builders.

And as far as reviews for home builders go, I've had two large holes in my foundation wall in my kitchen which I finally had to send pictures of my 48 degree kitchen thermometer reading to JHov to get them to finally come out and remove the siding to fill those holes, one of which you could see directly into my kitchen after the siding was removed.

I've had a section of my kitchen hard wood floor replaced 3 times due to a crack in the fittings that are used to clamp the pex tubing together with leaking water ruining the surrounding hard wood floor.

I've had to have the hvac installers back 3 times, to fix the air flow from my vents, because the CFM testing that was approved by the so called Energy Auditor was never performed.

I took pictures of the air gaps between the metal straps in the foundation and the exterior outside sheathing due to the time saving/money saving way that the prefabbed walls were installed on the first 15 or so homes. And when I asked what was going to be done about fixing those gaps on mine and every other home built up until that time, I was told that the focus would be on my fix, and if other homeowners thought they might have the same issues, they would have to call customer service. Bolts are now used to affix the exterior prefabbed walls to the concrete foundations.

So my experience with JHov is that they're no better or worse than any of the other cookie cutter builders.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
"Lower Slower" is a local reference that applies only to Sussex County. JSHov has only one development in Delaware...Roesville in Kent County.
Let's just say that the building codes in lower Kent County are in evolution, so prospects might want to consider that in their research.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
I have heard before lower slower starts at sussex. Quite frankly I don't care where it starts. For me and I speak for myself........this is lower slower.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineStewy View Post
I have to chime in 2 this is very entertaining and each argument does remind me of a political war. Whatever you choose to do or wherever you choose to live YOU should do all your research! Why buy in a community that promises a clubhouse why not buy in one already established? Also when you moved into the community that has a farm nearby you have to understand that during certain seasons there is going to be plenty of activity on that farm....if you don't want the dust then that isn't the place for you....shop around, talk to the people in the community. Everyone has their different likes and dislikes that is why there are so many different communities around!

Before we made our purchase we were fully aware of farming seasons. After having lived in or near cities and their noise and traffic congestion, we decided that a rural area was best for us in our retirement. For us, farm "activity" for a few days a year is much more attractive than the constant din of suburban or city life. When the dust is being stirred up or fertilizer is being spread, I just close the windows...no big deal. There are approx. 40 homes in Roesville and the neighbors and neighborhood are wonderful. If there is not one single additional home built, that would be OK with us.

A large clubhouse with a swimming pool, etc. is an attractive idea for sure, but having one was not on our priority list, so why would we pay for it? We have a small "clubhouse" which is adequate for the current size of our community. We enjoy socializing with our friends/neighbors. Actually there are several homeowners who never participate in any of our social activities. I suspect that those who do not would still not be involved even if we did have a larger, more glamorous "Lodge"...their choice naturally.

So to all who read this forum, please do your own research. Know what you are buying, and what the potential for growth will be in the area. We have had no serious problems...one nail pop and a minor leak in the outside AC unit which was quickly remedied under warranty. Keep in mind that new homes often come with "issues". Inspect carefully before signing on the dotted line and always follow the warranty recommendations. And learn about the builder...there is a big difference between construction oversights and outright deception/incompetence. Reputation is everything.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Quote:
Before we made our purchase we were fully aware of farming seasons. After having lived in or near cities and their noise and traffic congestion, we decided that a rural area was best for us in our retirement. For us, farm "activity" for a few days a year is much more attractive than the constant din of suburban or city life. When the dust is being stirred up or fertilizer is being spread, I just close the windows...no big deal. There are approx. 40 homes in Roesville and the neighbors and neighborhood are wonderful. If there is not one single additional home built, that would be OK with us.
A large clubhouse with a swimming pool, etc. is an attractive idea for sure, but having one was not on our priority list, so why would we pay for it? We have a small "clubhouse" which is adequate for the current size of our community. We enjoy socializing with our friends/neighbors. Actually there are several homeowners who never participate in any of our social activities. I suspect that those who do not would still not be involved even if we did have a larger, more glamorous "Lodge"...their choice naturally.

So to all who read this forum, please do your own research. Know what you are buying, and what the potential for growth will be in the area. We have had no serious problems...one nail pop and a minor leak in the outside AC unit which was quickly remedied under warranty. Keep in mind that new homes often come with "issues". Inspect carefully before signing on the dotted line and always follow the warranty recommendations. And learn about the builder...there is a big difference between construction oversights and outright deception/incompetence. Reputation is everything.[/quoI

I think living near a farm would be great. As you said, better than heavy traffic sounds. I live on a minor state road and summer is murder - every noisy motorcyclist tears down the road day and night. Often the loud exhausts set off vehicle alarms as they pass by. Give me a farm any day.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-02-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I have heard before lower slower starts at sussex. Quite frankly I don't care where it starts. For me and I speak for myself........this is lower slower.
I was simply parroting a correction pointed out to me on another forum. "Lower slower" works for us no matter where it is. We love Delaware.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
So to all who read this forum, please do your own research. Know what you are buying, and what the potential for growth will be in the area. We have had no serious problems...one nail pop and a minor leak in the outside AC unit which was quickly remedied under warranty. Keep in mind that new homes often come with "issues". Inspect carefully before signing on the dotted line and always follow the warranty recommendations. And learn about the builder...there is a big difference between construction oversights and outright deception/incompetence. Reputation is everything.
Seems as if most agree, do your own DD, get smart and stay smart about your choice of 55 communities and home builders. From my experience with JHov, I'd never purchase another of their products, coldest home I've ever lived in (thank god natural gas is so cheap), and would never buy another home on a slab again (at least not JHov slab construction). Personally, I can't wait to get back to civilization. The best thing going for lower- whatever-you-want-to-call-it, is taxes are cheap. But IMO you get what you pay for, building codes that are evolving, having to go into town for supplies, and farm fresh dust at your door step.

Been in lower whatever for eight years. Can't wait to to escape from your heaven.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55erinDE View Post
Seems as if most agree, do your own DD, get smart and stay smart about your choice of 55 communities and home builders. From my experience with JHov, I'd never purchase another of their products, coldest home I've ever lived in (thank god natural gas is so cheap), and would never buy another home on a slab again (at least not JHov slab construction). Personally, I can't wait to get back to civilization. The best thing going for lower- whatever-you-want-to-call-it, is taxes are cheap. But IMO you get what you pay for, building codes that are evolving, having to go into town for supplies, and farm fresh dust at your door step.

Been in lower whatever for eight years. Can't wait to to escape from your heaven.
I guess you didn't notice, as you were doing your "DD", that Roesville was in a rural area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware