U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 AM

113 posts, read 437,087 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance that I have just a few minutes, and that I have an ulterior motive for luring you in with this!

First, many of us long-time Delawarians believe that October begins the really great time at the beaches, though it is much more crowded during off-season than even five or ten years ago.

A fine time to visit Winterthur. Check the website. And even though they're not in Delaware, they're not far from Winterthur: wonderful Longwood Gardens, and the Brandywine River Museum.

The Delaware Art Museum. (Wilmington) Smallish, with an excellent collection.

Julie tells me that both Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge (not far from Dover) and Killens Pond State Park (about twenty five minutes south of Dover) have been mentioned here. The wild flowers are still in beautiful bloom at Bombay Hook and the foliage is just beginning to change. Just ignore the nuclear plant presence. (After all, it's in New Jersey, even though it looks way too close.) For birders, it's hard to beat Bombay Hook. Killens Pond actually has some hilliness surrounding the lake, and lovely walks.

I'm sure the Biggs museum in Dover has been mentioned. It's small, but some impressive furniture, paintings, changing exhibits, etc.

That's it for now, but I'll try to provide more at some point.

A TECH question. I'm trying to repair (huh!) a PC for a relative. I can't get it to the internet. Though there's plenty of room on the hard drive, the message that it's below virtual minimum memory keeps appearing. ??? It didn't really need defragmenting, but I tried that anyway. Any ideas? I think it's about 6 years old. I'd appreciate any contributions very much.

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,993,286 times
I'm no expert when it comes to PC maintenance, but I did have that message pop-up on a few occassions. I found that when I rebooted my computer from a cold start, the message went away for a long time. (I'm one who tends to keep my computer on all the time.)

When I say cold start, I mean that when you shut down, instead of clicking "restart my computer", do a complete shutdown. Wait a few moments and then turn the computer back on. For me, that's always worked. If you are getting that message for the same reasons that I do, then it should would for you as well.

Hope that helps.
Charley

Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

199 posts, read 859,244 times
Lori,
I can't help you with your PC problem because I'm computer stupid. I thought defragmentation meant picking a grenade back up after you've thrown it. Another subject. Interesting you mentioned Long Wood Gardens. We have two friends (husband, Jim and wife, Peg) who both work there. They used to have a place in Treasure Beach DE right on route 54 on the way to Ocean City, MD or Rehoboth DE.

Bob

Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 PM

113 posts, read 437,087 times
Charley,

How I wish that would work with my relative's PC, but it's turned off, completely, much of the time. I will try one of my favorite techniques for fixing almost anything though. Turn it off, unplug it all, plug in, and so on. So, a variation on your suggestion. Oh, and it has just occurred to me that I should check the recycle bin. Maybe emptying all that would help. Probably not. Worth a try. Thanks!

Bob, wasn't too many years back that I didn't have a clue about defragmenting the disk! Your friends are fortunate to be able to work at Longwood Gardens. Amazingly beautiful at all times of year, and very different season to season. Concerts, plays, fountain displays too. I've been there many times, but not for a few years, so I'm wondering if they still have the fine restaurant. I think we have to schedule a trip soon!

Lori

Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 PM

902 posts, read 3,219,083 times
Lori,

I only have a few minutes myself... boys will be home from school in about 30 minutes. As we are new to DE, I love your posts and will try to take advantage of any and all info, time allowing. Keep them coming!

LASH and I just met at Spence's Bazaar for lunch (and a bit of "window shopping")... she may post here soon. I have done a better job tooling around while the boys are in school than I have in unpacking boxes... but what better thing to do during this beautiful weather than tool around??? Besides, I hear it is supposed to rain Thursday & Friday... perfect unpacking days.

I am definitely a bargain shopper (even though I typically hate to shop and spend money), so I was totally excited to find Spence's, Byler's, and Ollie's here in Camden. I keep telling my husband I REALLY AM trying to SAVE him money! Boy, do I need to get a job!

On the PC issue... I have that same thing happen from time to time, like Charley. As I understand it, short of closing programs and windows, his remedy is the best way to avoid adding RAM, which I understand is not that expensive. I'm almost as "computer stupid" as Peewee, but with 4 kids, I'm trying to keep up. Our computer is a few years old and needs RAM, I'm told.

I'm having an issue on my PC now too.... I'm afraid I've picked up some spyware/adware and can't seem to get rid of it. Anyone know a reasonably priced place to take it to?

Mary

Old 09-25-2007, 01:41 PM

8,115 posts, read 17,338,952 times
You could go into the System Properties in your Control Panel, and change the virtual memory settings as a workaround to adding more RAM. You go to Control Panel --> System ---> Advanced then go to Performance and clicking the Settings button. Then click the Advanced tab on the top, then Virtual Memory, then click the Change button. Adjust the maxium size Paging File size. This assumes you have a Windows XP operating system.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:51 PM

43 posts, read 41,132 times
Smile my 2 cents

We have a Mac which is great in some ways (no virus issues usually) and bad in other ways (the word processing program is awful). I've only used PC's at work, and I would call the tech guys for problems...so I can't help you there.

As for "Delaware good things":
  • We've only been here 6 weeks, but like maryCh said before, we went to Spence's Bazaar... which is an interesting place and somewhere to find a deal on something. Food is yummy too!!!!
  • One thing I like a lot here is the museum at the Air Force Base. It is free (suggested donation) and there are lots of real, big airplanes to see. My dad (who is 72) came to visit and I took him there. We both had a great time.
  • Silver Lake Park, though not that big, has a nice walking path and for kids, a playground. On some weekends there is a company that does kayaking on the lake (I read that in the Dover Post)
I haven't done any other sightseeing. We were waiting for summer to be over before we went to the beach (I'd prefer to walk along the beach, not swim or roast in the sun)...I also want to take our dog to find some good places to walk in the various state parks.

LA

Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Speaking of the museum at the Air Force base... Tony discovered that before we even moved here and we have been 3 times already, prior to being a "resident". I am also finding the sky pretty busy with smallish (private-type) planes, which are pretty cool if you like aircraft as Tony does. Last but not least, I saw 2 of the ultra-lites this morning after the fog cleared, which was beautiful! I'm too chicken to try going up in one, but all the pleasure craft one sees in the sky are really cool to watch. Can't wait for the air shows I hear happen around here once in a while!

Mary

Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm with LASH... the beach "off season" is so much better. This coming from a girl who grew up in Va Beach and outgrew the tourist crowds years ago. Give me a deserted beach, a jacket, etc. in say, November or December, and I'm set for the day!

My youngest might not agree, as he loves the busy-ness and is much more a people person. But Tony, with his autism, does MUCH better in a smaller crowd.

Mary

Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,568,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Lori,

I only have a few minutes myself... boys will be home from school in about 30 minutes. As we are new to DE, I love your posts and will try to take advantage of any and all info, time allowing. Keep them coming!

LASH and I just met at Spence's Bazaar for lunch (and a bit of "window shopping")... she may post here soon. I have done a better job tooling around while the boys are in school than I have in unpacking boxes... but what better thing to do during this beautiful weather than tool around??? Besides, I hear it is supposed to rain Thursday & Friday... perfect unpacking days.

I am definitely a bargain shopper (even though I typically hate to shop and spend money), so I was totally excited to find Spence's, Byler's, and Ollie's here in Camden. I keep telling my husband I REALLY AM trying to SAVE him money! Boy, do I need to get a job!

On the PC issue... I have that same thing happen from time to time, like Charley. As I understand it, short of closing programs and windows, his remedy is the best way to avoid adding RAM, which I understand is not that expensive. I'm almost as "computer stupid" as Peewee, but with 4 kids, I'm trying to keep up. Our computer is a few years old and needs RAM, I'm told.

I'm having an issue on my PC now too.... I'm afraid I've picked up some spyware/adware and can't seem to get rid of it. Anyone know a reasonably priced place to take it to?

Mary
Hi There Mary,

When my computer busted......we took it to best buy up by Dover. Bill and I are both computer stupid. My daughter always took care of that for us but now that we are down here...we are stuck

Isn't Bylers great? I got whole wheat rolls there once and they were the freshest EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or