U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 22,087 times

Advertisements

Basically, I'm currently a college student. I'm going into education so I'd be looking for a position as a high school teacher.
I pretty much hate Florida. It is too hot, expensive, and unfriendly. If you aren't rich, retired, or conservative in the area I live, you're just not part of the community.
I'm DEFINITELY not looking for excitement. I'm pretty much a homebody. My idea of a good Friday night would be staying home and watching a movie. My fiancee is African American and when she comes over to my house, if we go out for a walk with the dog, it's like there is some alien out to exhibit. And there's an old lady who looked as if it was a crime for someone of color to be in the neighborhood.

I am not going into my profession to become rich. And my partner isn't gonna be rich either. We want a simple, quiet life in a safe and friendly area. I lived in Illinois for a couple of years, and it was the best thing in this world. But the job market over there for educators is terrible.

If anyone could tell me what it's like living in Delaware and what some good neighborhoods are, I'd really appreciate it! I just NEED to get the hell out of the South and away from the hypocritical Bible thumpers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
Wow....may I ask where in Florida you reside? I want to make sure I don't move to that particular area in a few years. I'm guessing either north or central Florida....

I'm a teacher at a local high school in eastern Sussex--feel free to ask me any questions you may have. My husband and I reside in Ocean View, Delaware, and we love it here. We have always lived in Delaware. Ocean View/Millville/Bethany Beach is more of a slower-paced attitude than the larger beach resort areas such as Rehoboth. There's not much in the way of nightlife here, but you said that you weren't looking for that so all is well in that regard. There are quite a few rich and retired older people here, but the attitude in this area is generally very accepting and I certainly wouldn't classify my area as "conservative". We have a few interracial and gay couples in my neck of the woods, and honestly nobody even cares anymore. That's what I like about this area. I hope this helps....if you like the beaches and a slower pace of life, then you may want to consider southeast Delaware.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM

I live in Southwest Florida. Trust me, there is a lot of ignorance even in richer areas. Florida as a whole is terrible and the education system is HORRIBLE. Teachers are less than dirt here. My mother has been a teacher for over 20 years and things aren't that great for her. They want to get rid of EXPERIENCED teachers and save money. I will definitely be looking into where you're saying. Thanks so much!

BTW on the road to places like Orlando and Tampa you will see stereotypical southern things like sings that say you're going to hell for sins and such. It's always in the lower income areas along the road. But anyone who says that isn't in Florida is a liar. Stupid things like this just **** me off

Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM

I heard the education system there was horrible--thank goodness I won't be a teacher when I move there in a few years and will just work part-time, hopefully in a park or nature center/preserve. We are looking into the northern Keys although we were looking at Tierra Verde which is near St. Pete Beach. We have some pretty bad districts here in Delaware and also ones that let teachers go at the drop of a hat, but if you wind up moving to southeast Sussex you'll be fine in Cape Henlopen or Indian River School school districts. Both are excellent.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 PM

10 posts, read 15,508 times
Just wanted to let you know that I recently moved to DE and also lived in FL. I don't know the area WELL, but there seems to be a mixture of cultures and races and people seem generally friendly in the Dover area. There are a lot of farm areas out here, but it's very relaxing. I like to sit out on my back porch at night and enjoy the night skies out here... I am enjoying DE so far and it's great that Philly, Baltimore and DC are all within a 2 hour drive and nice beaches are about 45 mins away. So when you are tired of small towns and relaxing, you can go do the beach thing or visit the cities. Good luck! I think you'll like it up here.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lee Bee View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I recently moved to DE and also lived in FL. I don't know the area WELL, but there seems to be a mixture of cultures and races and people seem generally friendly in the Dover area. There are a lot of farm areas out here, but it's very relaxing. I like to sit out on my back porch at night and enjoy the night skies out here... I am enjoying DE so far and it's great that Philly, Baltimore and DC are all within a 2 hour drive and nice beaches are about 45 mins away. So when you are tired of small towns and relaxing, you can go do the beach thing or visit the cities. Good luck! I think you'll like it up here.
LOL I have lived here I think over 10 years. I've seen the beach maybe twice. I'm not interested in going to the beach and farm areas would be HEAVEN to me! Thanks so much! I will be looking into the Dover area.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I heard the education system there was horrible--thank goodness I won't be a teacher when I move there in a few years and will just work part-time, hopefully in a park or nature center/preserve. We are looking into the northern Keys although we were looking at Tierra Verde which is near St. Pete Beach. We have some pretty bad districts here in Delaware and also ones that let teachers go at the drop of a hat, but if you wind up moving to southeast Sussex you'll be fine in Cape Henlopen or Indian River School school districts. Both are excellent.
I hope you can truly enjoy the Florida lifestyle. I HAVE considered moving up to the Tampa/St. Pete area. It's supposed to be more open minded and what not. Just be aware the as bad as SW Florida is. West florida and East Florida are night and day. I wouldn't move to East Florida if someone paid me. Terrible driving, rude people, and over-populated classrooms!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Oh...well, that's good to hear about the St. Pete area! I wouldn't want to live somewhere that is full of thumpers and narrow minded people either so I hear you on that one. Oh, and I TOTALLY agree about east Florida. I have vacationed from Daytona to Miami, and I could never live there. Yes, very rude people and horrible driving/traffic. Beautiful beaches, but the rest....they can keep it. Too fast-paced for me.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,275,552 times
Hmm, havent found that at at all, the people are very nice, we met neighbors very very quickly in fact (no opinion on classrooms but my understanding is that the schools are quite good, of course nowhere is perfect but there are pro's and con's in many different states (and areas), drivers vary too, I wouldnt bash it or generalize, we're all entitled to our opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglenick View Post
I hope you can truly enjoy the Florida lifestyle. I HAVE considered moving up to the Tampa/St. Pete area. It's supposed to be more open minded and what not. Just be aware the as bad as SW Florida is. West florida and East Florida are night and day. I wouldn't move to East Florida if someone paid me. Terrible driving, rude people, and over-populated classrooms!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Oh...well, that's good to hear about the St. Pete area! I wouldn't want to live somewhere that is full of thumpers and narrow minded people either so I hear you on that one. Oh, and I TOTALLY agree about east Florida. I have vacationed from Daytona to Miami, and I could never live there. Yes, very rude people and horrible driving/traffic. Beautiful beaches, but the rest....they can keep it. Too fast-paced for me.
Though it CAN be more liberal, you will have extremely religious people there regardless. So just be aware of that. No matter what, you will find rednecks and preachers everywhere lol But whatever floats your boat. I'm just tired of hearing and experiencing so much racism. I was at the pool in my community. Mind you, these are rich, conservative, retired people. There was this elderly lady, and I was at the pool with my family and she told us that the U.S. should nuke all the middle east and just get rid of the people there...
Another time my mother was speaking to my grandma in Spanish, and a man at the store, went up to my mom and said "This is America, and here we speak American."

Racism can happen anywhere. But the fact of the matter is, when you go South, you will experience more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or