Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 AM

113 posts, read 482,539 times

Advertisements

Eliza,

I'm so glad to see your message!

So glad, also, that the get-together over lunch banished your depression. You each have to provide a one word description--I mean something like "enthusiastic," or whatever you choose--to clue us all in a bit more on each other.

Or not!

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
Eliza,

I'm so glad to see your message!

So glad, also, that the get-together over lunch banished your depression. You each have to provide a one word description--I mean something like "enthusiastic," or whatever you choose--to clue us all in a bit more on each other.

Or not!

Lori
Thanks Lori And we will. Just let me think about it a bit

Old 10-11-2007, 07:15 AM

127 posts, read 490,176 times
I just found this post, and wanted to just chime in to say "Hi!". I've read some of your posts and it's nice to see that you guys are basically pleased with living in Delaware... it's not such a bad little state

I'm an 'uptown' girl who doesn't post much on the Kent threads, although most of my family lives there.... I don't feel knowledgeable enough about the area.

I did laugh when I saw the comments about the Wilmington Train Station. This is located in the oldest, more historically significant part of Wilmington... the Ships Tavern district. Over the last century it became a depressed slum. Now the city is investing lots of $$$ to revitalize the area.

The company I work for transferred last year from a nice, quiet location in Newark to the center of this mess, overlooking the train station. I hate it! To me, it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Although a few streets are beginning looking cute and quaint... the city can't seem to understand that people don't want to live, work, and socialize in an eight-block area surrounded by a ghetto!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM

[quote=mikandmari;1705690]Train Station. This is located in the oldest, more historically significant part of Wilmington... the Ships Tavern district. Over the last century it became a depressed slum. Now the city is investing lots of $$$ to revitalize the area.
"""To me, it's like putting lipstick on a pig.""

LOL...........That comment is halarious but pigs are cute

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
We just did the train run from Camden to Wilmington Saturday night... ugh! I have not had a chance to explore the Wilmington/ northern DE area, but as I think I mentioned before, train stations tend to be in rougher areas most every where.

I don't have a problem going to the station in the daylight, but night does bother me a lot more. Not just because its Wilmington; I'm like that in most downtown areas.

I'm with elizamary about the pigs.... that WAS funny! Funnier thing is, I actually tried to do that when I was about 4 (my grandpa was a farmer and had pigs). And yeah, its not an easy thing to get lipstick on a pig!

Mary

Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
I'm with elizamary about the pigs.... that WAS funny! Funnier thing is, I actually tried to do that when I was about 4 (my grandpa was a farmer and had pigs). And yeah, its not an easy thing to get lipstick on a pig!

Mary
I often thought I would love to have a little piglet for a pet. Not sure I would want a big pig unless I was living on a farm.

BTW........I love pork

Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM

199 posts, read 938,449 times
All,
Was that lipstick Revlon or Maybelline? Is it the pig who (I love animals and like to refer to them as human, as opposed to it, or that) lives in the restaurant, Where Pigs Fly? I know this is not the thread for this, but I need to tell a true pig story.

Many years ago, when I was very young and living in Baltimore, my dad, who had imbibed a few too many beers, brought home a piglet. He got it from a bar friend who also had a few too many. You have to remember we lived in the city - not on a farm or farmette. He put the little guy/girl in our front yard and built a makeshift gate to keep the critter from taking off for the highway. He named it, Hepsibob. When my mom, who was on the sensible, conservative side, saw the piglet, she went ballistic. Under penalty of death, she told my dad he had two days to make the pig disappear. Needless to say, poor little Hepsibob went back to the friend and probably wound up as someone's Sunday dinner.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
Leave wilmington alone. I have pics from the late 50's and early 60's when wilmington was a vibrantenjoyable city. After Mr. King was murdered, riots ensued and the city burned all summer. business' closed shop and moved to the suburbs as did the white people. if people can't stand reading the truth don't read it. the neighborhoods were once beautiful and crime free. as the one person said. ships tavern is something out of history that will never work, the riverfront shops can't even keep tenants and although the train station is on the national historic register ,who cares. but if you are not from wilmington, you don't know what this small gem used to be like. what it is now , well they should change the name to murder town. after all in down state delaware they have a small hamlet called murderkill. God bless America, but only if she realizes she is in decline and tries to help herself out of this moral decay that is ruining our children and our virtues as a nation. win one for your parents and grandparents...stand up and do something for your community before it is too late. if i sound like i am preaching it is because Iam. yes call the city trash but dare to stand up and say why can't we fix it...I dare You too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware