Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,664 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move from nj to de. Nj is just too expensive to live in. We wanted to know which neighborhoods, outside of rehobeth beach, are the most gay friendly. I am a new graduate RN. So whatever neighborhood we move to I would need to be near several hospitals in order to find a job. Does anyone have any suggestions about LGBT friendly areas and/or areas that have a good job market for nurses. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I have found northern New Castle County to generally be gay friendly. My spouse and I live in Greenville (upscale suburb north of the city limits) but know other gay couples and singles who live all over the Wilmington area and as far as I can tell, no one has had difficulties. This is likely also true for Newark. We have some acquaintances who live in Middletown and they seem quite happy with that (one works in Dover, the other in Newark, so Middletown is a compromise location). Wilmington has a number of religious congregations that are quite gay friendly, although my spouse and I attend church in Philadelphia for reasons unrelated to gay/lesbian inclusiveness. Wilmington also has a well-attended gay and lesbian social mixer called Our Night Out - Wilmington, which meets monthly for an extended happy hour at an occasionally rotating local venue. I would think the employment market for nursing in northern New Castle County would be quite good, given the number of medical facilities here.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 39,991 times
The Lewes/Milton area is also very welcoming to the gay community. We are relocating from NY for the same reasons as you and have been looking in these areas. Many of the people we've encountered are likewise from NJ and NY so I think you will feel comfortable there.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
(sorry, after I posted this, I re-read your post. You said "outside of Rehoboth Beach")

I'd say Rehoboth Beach. G/L flock from Baltimore, Washington DC., Philly and everywhere else. It's one of the 10 top G/L beaches in the U.S. Here's a link:
At The Beach | CAMP Rehoboth

There's one hospital in Lewes, just 3-4 miles from Rehoboth Beach. I'm not sure how the job market is there.
http://www.beebemed.org/html/career.cfm

Last edited by rdlr; 06-21-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I would echo the Milton and Lewes recommendation though I'm unsure how good the job market in nursing would be around those parts. I'd suggest seeing what you can find in terms of employment in Wilmington-Newark and in the Lewes-Milton area and making a relocation decision based on that, as you will be able to find good places to live in any of these communities and they all offer different advantages and charms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware