Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 38,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been living in Phoenix for the past 3 years and I was recently given the opportunity to work from home. I am really excited about bringing my job with me back to the East Coast as I spent the first 20 years of my life in Philadelphia and I'm tired of having to fly home to see family. Anyway, long story short my fiance and I have decided on Slower Lower (not exactly sure where that begins, geographically, but we'd like to be in the Milford area or south of it). We'd like to be within a 30 minute drive of the beach and it seems like you can get much more house for your money in Milford then in places like Milton, Lewes, and Millsboro.

I guess my question comes down to the fact that we plan on having children soon after relocating to Delaware. I realize that Cape Henlopen and Indian River School Districts are rated higher than Milford SD, but are they superior the point that someone like me (having the ability to live anywhere) should remove Milford from my list of options completely? I'd like some feedback from people who currently have students attending Milford School District or have recently graduated, if possible. I see the population of Milford has steadily increased over the past few years and that can mean big changes in the school system (as is the case in the Penn Delco School District in Pennsylvania, which was supposedly a great S.D while my parents were growing up, but not so much when I graduated in 2006). Any input into the Milford area and it's school district would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
I'm a Delaware teacher and have never worked for Milford district, but it's not bad at all. True, it's not as good as Cape or IR, but it's one of the better school districts in Delaware. I'd certainly place it in the top ten for the state. I do know some parents who have children attending school there, and they have few complaints--none which were anything major. They definitely have some excellent teachers there, no doubt.

Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks Liz, that helps a lot. I just wanted to be sure there weren't any major issues, but it doesn't sound like it so I think Milford is the place for us. Now to find a good realtor!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I visited Milford a few weeks ago. I grew up there and had not been back for a number of years. One of the things I did was go back to look at the schools I had attended and I was amazed at how good the schools looked. Both my elementary school (Lulu Ross) and the High School, had doubled in side and the buildings and grounds were very attractive. I very much enjoyed growing up in Milford. The library and Main street also look great.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I visited Milford a few weeks ago. I grew up there and had not been back for a number of years. One of the things I did was go back to look at the schools I had attended and I was amazed at how good the schools looked. Both my elementary school (Lulu Ross) and the High School, had doubled in side and the buildings and grounds were very attractive. I very much enjoyed growing up in Milford. The library and Main street also look great.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now, any advice on realtors....just kidding

Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM

53 posts, read 89,493 times
watch out for the milford diner...ughh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware