Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,248 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have been reading the Delaware forum as well as the Philadelphia forum for many years now, and you all have been a wealth of info. I currently am a Philly transplant (7 years) from Queens NY and live with my 2 children ages 4 and 10 months. I will soon be in the process of a divorce after a trial separation and here are my questions.

I have family that live in the Dover area and I had previously moved to Milford from Philly for a brief period while married but my husband hated it there and we moved back to Philly. My husband and I were previously looking to move to Dover in the past, but it did not pan out. Now it looks like I will be looking to move to Dover or nearby with my children solo and due to the divorce and other variables, I will be renting (not looking to go over $1000 or $1100 at the most). The only issue is that all of the apartments I have seen are in the Capital SD. And after reading post after post about not touching that SD with a 1000 ft pole, and to stick with the Caesar Rodney or Smyrna SD, I have to ask.....is it really that bad? Are there any decent complexes in the Caesar Rodney SD I should look into? I looked into renting in Milford, but there are none that appeal to me. I mean, I am in the Philadelphia SD, and it is absolute garbage so I am not looking for a repeat of that. But are there people on this forum that have kids in the Capital SD and actually like it? It is a major sticking point for me in making a decision to move here. Well that and actually AFFORDING to live here. Okay, another question. I was mostly a part-time worker/ stay-at-home mom during the length of our marriage, but I am college educated, and will be entering the workforce again. Is this a state where a 2 income household is a necessity in order to live comfortably? And what fields are the most prosperous? I'm not expecting to live high on the hog, but I don't like ramen noodles and neither do my kids, lol. While I would love to be closer to my family and get my kids out of Philly, I don't want to put them in a worse situation after the dust settles. It will be tough enough with dealing with a divorce.

Ok, I think I rambled enough, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,900,423 times
I really don't know much about school districts in Kent County (I teach in Sussex), but I have heard some stories about Capital as well. However, I know there are some rough districts in the Philly area so I can't really see how Capital could be any worse than some of the scarier ones around Philly, I really don't.

I hate to say it, but yes....a two income household is often necessary in this state if you ever want to become a homeowner. That is, unless you land a well-paying job. Those well-paying jobs are typically in the two northern counties so you may luck out. We do have low property taxes here, but I really don't see where anything else about Delaware is "cheap living". But then again, I favor southern states and everything is much less expensive down there. You said you are renting so you should be ok as far as getting by. I have been in your situation before (divorced with a child) and I know how hard it can be on your own. I lived in Sussex though so it was a bit different.

As far as fields that are hiring--the medical field and anything customer service based is what's hiring in Delaware. There are more business/professional jobs in New Castle than in Kent and Sussex. Hope this helps....maybe others can chime in with employment advice who live up that way.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,503 times
I have lived in DE all my life. You mentioned something about Smyrna. That is a nice little up and coming town. Very safe, AWESOME SCHOOL DISTRICT. They also have a relatively new apartment complex I believe it is called Sunnyside Apartments and also another complex across the street from that one that is BRAND NEW. I also believe the rent is relatively reasonable. They also have loads of single family homes for rent in the price point you quoted above. I won't lie, I have heard negative stuff about Capitol School Distrct as well and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to move my family into that district. Is it horrid?? No, I mean there aren't murders and rapes going on there daily and if I found a home I loved it wouldn't be a DEAL BREAKER to send my kids there...but if you can get a better school district for your children (Smyrna, Ceasar Rodney) why not do it?? Just my humble opinion. Good Luck in your search and Welcome to Delaware if you join us

Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,503 times
oh and regarding the "job outlook" if you are going to be in the Kent County area working for "The State of Delaware" is a big employer around there. Considering Dover is the state capital there are loads of state jobs around that area. They have a great website online where jobs that are posted are listed daily.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,900,423 times
Beingamommy has excellent advice....and I agree that looking at state jobs may be the way to go in Kent County.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 19,364 times
hey there. i will be moving to dover soon and we had the same problem as you, finding a rental in caesar rodney school district. i have a lot of family in dover and they all say that the capital school district is not good at all. i would say stick to caesar rodney. the three rentals i looked at are, Pinegrove Apartments (Trinity Communities - Pine Grove Apartments) i personally wouldn't recommend it because the condition is bad and the people living there are quite an angry mob. the other one is linkside apartments (Linkside Apartments) they are really good but they are a little bit inside and in magnolia. and finally where i will be living is Eagle Meadows (Apartments in Dover, Delaware | Eagle Meadows Apartments | Dover, DE) they are houses and really reasonable $1095 for a 2 bed/ 1 bath all inclusive. you just pay for cable, phone and internet. i really recommend linkside and eagle meadows. hope i help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware