U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,189 times

Advertisements

I am a single, female, young professional who will be moving to Delaware due to a new job. I will be working in New Castle and am looking to rent an apartment at a reasonable price not "too" far from there. My number one concern is safety. I want to feel comfortable walking into my apartment at night (after returning from work) and going out for a jog during the day. Can you please recommend an area or specific apartment complex? If I need to commute a little extra for safety purposes, I am willing to do that. I have been told that the New Castle area is not a safe area to live in. Is this true? Any help that you can provide is appreciated! I am very unfamiliar with the area. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 PM

54 posts, read 38,910 times
Most young professionals move to the Trolley square area and there are some buildings with parking and security. It is in the city of Wilmington Not sure if you are coming from a city or a suburban area. New Castle has lots of families so I don't know how it would be for a single woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 AM

4,633 posts, read 6,328,041 times
Whether or not Trolley Square specifically, look at Wilmington or the suburbs of "North Wilmington" rather than New Castle. New Castle has large sketchy areas, while in Wilmington the unsafe areas are more confined to obvious poverty areas where you don't need to go anyway. However, prudence is always called for. Both northern New Castle County and Philadelphia feel a lot less safe to me than Manhattan or Central London. One can be safe here, but one should never be entirely complacent, especially not a single woman.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 AM

9,992 posts, read 11,200,805 times
I agree that parts of New Castle are sketchy. If you want to live close to work, you might want to look at Korman at Brandywine Woods in Bear. I know someone who has lived there for 5 years and really likes it. School Bell Apts is also highly rated. The good thing about these complexes is that it will be very easy to get to work.

For jogging, since you will be doing that during the day, you will find a lot of people at Battery Park in old NC. I walk there a lot and it is very nice along the river as long as it is daylight. Glasgow Park is also nice and across from the Y in Bear on Route 40.

DM me if you need specifics. I work in NC.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 PM

489 posts, read 358,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine!! View Post
I am a single, female, young professional who will be moving to Delaware due to a new job. I will be working in New Castle and am looking to rent an apartment at a reasonable price not "too" far from there. My number one concern is safety. I want to feel comfortable walking into my apartment at night (after returning from work) and going out for a jog during the day. Can you please recommend an area or specific apartment complex? If I need to commute a little extra for safety purposes, I am willing to do that. I have been told that the New Castle area is not a safe area to live in. Is this true? Any help that you can provide is appreciated! I am very unfamiliar with the area. Thank you for your help!

Will you be working in New Castle county (where) or the city of New Castle? And what do you consider to be reasonable rent, $600 or $1000/month? There are hundreds of apts in NC county so in order to help you we need to know what town or city you'll be working in.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Thank you all VERY much! I really appreciate your feedback and help. The following is the zip code of my place of employment 19720. I was also considering living in Pike Creek or Newark. Do you have any feedback or specific recommendations of apartment complexes in those areas? I'm hoping to keep my rent around $800 monthly. I will be fine with a studio or one bedroom to start.

THANK YOU AGAIN!! Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM

37 posts, read 30,214 times
Woman to woman.....do not live in New Castle! 10 years ago when I moved in this area, I shopped at the Walmart on Route 40 during the day and I felt unsafe to shop, thinking that my car would have been robbed or myself, etc. And over the years, I've heard the same comments of NC from my friends.

In the Newark area, you should be fine!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,016 times
Trolley Square is a bit pricey. VERY NICE area though. If you are looking to be around "young professionals" in a city like enviroment that is most definately the place to be. I say check into the Pike Creek Area and Newark as well. Be very careful though, that is one thing I learned in my younger years looking for apartments in Delaware. If they are "cheap rent" there is a reason they are "cheap"...usually follows with crime etc. Somebody mentioned School Bell Apartments those are nice. Also Christiana Meadows in Bear and the Brandywood ones mentioned in Bear are very nice as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM

Thumbs up THANK YOU!! Morgan Crossing?

Thank you all!!! Your input is priceless! I sincerely appreciate your honesty. Have you heard anything about Morgan Crossing Apartments in Newark? I am considering that one; as the reviews were decent and the price is very reasonable...Thank you again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware