Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 38,957 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferring to Salisbury and I was looking into surrounding areas as well. It looks like Seaford is nice and a little cheaper than Salisbury, plus I like the tax situation in DE. Anybody have any thoughts on the pros and cons of either city or of living in one state vs the other?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
Salisbury is a nice town; I can't imagine why one would consider commuting to Seaford instead.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:50 PM

35 posts, read 166,027 times
Default Salisbury vs Seaford

Salisbury is a very nice area. Much more urban than Seaford. My father used to commute from Salisbury to Seaford everyday. He finally bought a house in Seaford where his job was. In Delaware there is no sales tax. If I'm not mistaken, the closest Shopping Malls near Seaford are in Salisbury, and Dover.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,651 times
I would suggest anywhere but Seaford. I had jury duty for two weeks the end of Oct/first of November and it seemed like every drug case or shooting happened in Seaford. Try Pittsville, MD. It is an upcoming little town outside of Salisbury. Or if you want Delaware just go over the line to Laurel or another town that has easy access to Route 50. Also, watch out for sewer vs septic. Lot of controversay over that subject and you don't want to move in and then have to pay the hookup fees.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:57 AM

168 posts, read 672,125 times
Salisbury is MUCH nicer than Seaford. There are stores and shopping that is at least within a 15 minute drive from nearly all parts of Salisbury. Im a bit biased cuz Ive never liked slower lower DE. Make sure to look into housing prices cuz almost anything nice will be expensive.

BTW there isnt much to do other than shop in Salisbury. There is a small zoo and the movie theater etc. The beach is nearby but doesnt matter too much during the winter months. Just a heads-up. hth

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM

144 posts, read 330,380 times
Default Seaford vice Salisbury

Hi:
I agree with the previous comment about Seaford being a relatively long commute--maybe not by LA standards, but.....
I would disagree about Salisbury (or Maryland in general) however. As far as I am concerned Maryland has become a worse "taxhell" than Massachusetts. In addition, everything has become too pricey---all the "rich folks" moving in from DC, Balt., etc.. Sorry.

Mike

Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 PM

83 posts, read 399,211 times
Salisbury all the way.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:15 PM

336 posts, read 716,064 times
What about healthcare in Salisbury, schools and crime? Just wondering as I've considered there myself.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,932 times
I am thinking about moving from Dover, DE to Salisbury, MD. I am looking for a place to live thats kind of cheep. One bedroom...close to bus routes and shopping centers....can any one help me?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-12-2012 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: removed e-mail.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 AM

84 posts, read 206,299 times
I went to school in Salisbury, and I worked in Seaford for a short time so I am kind of familiar with both areas.

Salisbury is a college town, and where it's not, there is a good deal of crime. However, I love Salisbury, as long as you are in the right areas. The mall isn't bad (better than Dover! where I live now), easy access to Ocean City, there is a lot to do. Winter might get rough like one other poster said but winter is rough everywhere because its difficult to be outside and most places its the outdoors that are beautiful! Delaware is an "outdoor" state to me as well with tons of parks and stuff, so really that shouldn't be a factor, its pretty much the same in that aspect.

Salisbury does have the zoo (its free, I love zoos, and its not bad for a small town), the park beside it, the Delmarva Shorebirds (class A affiliate of the Orioles) and it's the "Cross roads of Delmarva" aka where 13 and 50 intersect, so it's easy to go any direction.

It took me about 30 minutes to travel from Salisbury to Seaford when I worked there (I do drive fast though ). I find there is a bunch of stuff there, but it never really thrilled me. It's also much smaller.

One poster mentioned living in Laurel. Not a bad idea. It's on the border with MD, so it's very close to Salisbury...maybe a 15 minutes drive to get into the town and not just the northern edge. Plus you get the benefit of the lower taxes and no sales tax.

Hope all the information you get helps make your decision. I love Salisbury and miss it (hopefully I get to go to a shorebirds game this weekend!!!), but I don't think I'd want to live in Salisbury...Now that I live in Delaware, I love it, so I'd much rather live somewhere on the border of MD so I still have all the access to Salisbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware