U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 AM

902 posts, read 3,217,362 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,

As I'm sure the regulars all know, we are very newbies to central DE (one month yesterday! Yeah!). My sister from Va Beach is driving up for some sister bonding this weekend. Suggestions of things to do?

Here's my tentative plan...

Fri - lunch & shopping at Spence's Bazaar
Sat - big rig convoy in Dover (Special Olympics event)
Sun - some kind of educational day at the beach in Lewes (another Special Olympics event done by U-Del)
Mon - mexican lunch somewhere in Dover, as sis & I both love mexican food

I'm fishing for references for a good, inexpensive mexican restaurant, so you "old timers" please chime in!

Weather forecast is BEAUTIFUL, so I don't want to hang out at the house all weekend.

All comments welcome!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM

113 posts, read 436,795 times
Mary, wish I could help with the Mexican restaurant. Some have come and gone, and I truly don't know anything about current ones.

We eat Mexican when we're in California. When we're home in Dover, I do the Mexican cooking. Well, it's more truthful to say that I attempt it.

Do you want my black bean burritos, Anglo version I'm afraid, recipe?

U of DE has a presence at / near Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes. Used to be an interesting nature trail there. Haven't been in a while, but I'm guessing it's still there.

Have fun! (And let me know if you find a good Mexican restaurant, please.)

Lori

Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,253,959 times
You might try La Tolteca. They started as a small family restaurant in northern DE, but have since grown and have quite a few restaurants. We now go to a small family Mexican restaurant in New Castle, but before they opened, we went to La Tolteca quite often and the food was authentic and very good.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 AM

693 posts, read 2,616,169 times
Default Now you're talkin'

My hubby is origionally from southern CA and he just loves Mexican food and I do too which is why I look as I do
anyway, the one we frequent the most is Corralejo. 528 Bay Road.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,561,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hi gang,

As I'm sure the regulars all know, we are very newbies to central DE (one month yesterday! Yeah!). My sister from Va Beach is driving up for some sister bonding this weekend. Suggestions of things to do?

Here's my tentative plan...

Fri - lunch & shopping at Spence's Bazaar
Sat - big rig convoy in Dover (Special Olympics event)
Sun - some kind of educational day at the beach in Lewes (another Special Olympics event done by U-Del)
Mon - mexican lunch somewhere in Dover, as sis & I both love mexican food

I'm fishing for references for a good, inexpensive mexican restaurant, so you "old timers" please chime in!

Weather forecast is BEAUTIFUL, so I don't want to hang out at the house all weekend.

All comments welcome!

Mary

Your Itinerary sound perfect. Enjoy the weekend with your sister.

PS: have you tried Fifers orchard?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the references for the Mexican... my stomach is growling already. Not to mention what my mouth is doing right about now!

Hopefully, we will be able to get it all in. Sis is a couch potato and proud of it, so I have to figure out how to tape the race this Sunday so she'll leave the house. Gotta get the VCR hooked up... oh, no, gotta get some blank tapes!

Elizamary... I have gone to Fifers a few times to browse and strategize. Tony's class had a walking field trip to Fifer's last week, and they did the maze, hayride, and pumpkin painting/carving activities. Although he complained about the walk, I think he had a good time.

I hope to go back to Fifer's Thursday, as I found a yummy apple butter recipe I'd like to try. I still have strawberries in the fridge I bought to make jam with, so that is on for this evening or first thing in the morning. I'd also like to try some pumpkin preserving, as we love pumpkin pie year round.

Wow, all this cooking & preserving, I may just couch it with sis! Hope she doesn't complain too much about the house still being upside down and full of boxes!

Mary

Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 PM

693 posts, read 2,616,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
My hubby is origionally from southern CA and he just loves Mexican food and I do too which is why I look as I do
anyway, the one we frequent the most is Corralejo. 528 Bay Road.
Mary,
Drove past this place tonight. The sign out front has another name than the listing in the phonebook. The menu is the same as Tolteca. I'll bet they all have the same owner. The one we vist is across from the Levy Court it is older and looks like it might have been a Wendy's at one time. The restaurant closer to the mall opened in the spring.
BTW. Hollywood diner has great breakfasts. See ya in two weeks.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Good to see a few Mexican references... I'll see which one sis is interested in trying.

BTW - got the strawberry jam done last night; now I'm off the Fifer's to purchase LOTS of apples and anything else available this late in the season to make jams or preserves from. Maybe even a pumpkin or two; I think I can "can" pumpkin pulp (or whatever) for "fresh" pies at Thanksgiving. Gotta plan ahead!

from PA... do you know the name of the place? I'm not too familiar with the court buildings yet.

Also, any old-timers know where I can get a copy of the police report from hubby's accident Sunday? I have a faxed copy of the information exchange form, but DMV in NY wants the police report as well, as hubby has a CDL. Ugh! I believe it was troop 3 that officially handled it, as the scene was just south of the Dover city line.

Thanks again, and again!

Mary

Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 17,903 times
Looks like I'm a little late in chiming in...

...but for future references, there's a really good Mexican restaurant (kind of fast-foody) in Dover Mall named "Juan's Mexicali". They make the burritos and tacos right in front of you while you pick what you want inside.

It's just inside Entrance 1, across from Ruby Tuesday. I used to work in the mall, so I went to Juan's probably 3 out of 5 days a week for lunch.
Juans Mexicali - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or