Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times

Advertisements

Sorry ... found one more item. A head tax is a form of a capitation tax. Here is an explanation:

"A reason for using a capitation tax in addition to relying upon a property tax is that some people don't own property. Taxing fairly means collecting from people who don't own property too. That's the main rationale behind this form of tax, and has been since the first of the capitation taxes was collected during medieval days."

Sussex county has (or had in 2002) a capitation tax of three dollars per person.

Charley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
A "head tax" is a tax imposed per person, regardless of income. I didn't find many specific head taxes in Delaware, although I did find this from Wilmington:

"Any new or relocating business in the city that brings over 100 new employees can obtain a wavier to the City's "Head" tax. The "Head" tax is a $10.00 fee per employee the City charges for upkeep of the city's infrastructure, police and other city services."

In New York, as part of the payroll deductions, everyone has their usual Federal tax, Social Security tax, State tax, etc, taken from their checks, based on the amount of money they earn. However, everyone also pays $1.20 for disability, regardless of whether they make $1,000 or $1,000,000. That would be a head tax as well. It's a tax per person, not per income.

I hope that helps ... and I'll keep looking for other instances of head taxes. I don't think they are very large amounts, but we'll find out.

Charley
jThanks Charley.

I'm thinking who is the crook that dreamed this up.. Of all the..................

Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM

Well, perhaps it's an issue of fairness. Let's take the example of Wilmington, where they take an extra $10 a year for this head tax for employees to pay for city services. Employees, some of whom might not be homeowners, and some of whom might not be Wilmington residents, use the roads, need the snow cleared, need police protection, etc. Should the Wilmington residents pay all the cost or should a few non-Wilmington residents who use the services chip in as well? I don't know the answer, but it's not necessarily crooked.

I wonder if we each looked into our own tax structures, if there wasn't some kind of "head tax" included. Perhaps for some of us, it's in our sales tax ... but since Delaware does not have one ...

See what I mean? I'm not defending. I'm just looking at all the angles.

Charley

Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM

199 posts, read 938,449 times
Charley,

I guess a capitation tax is better than a decapitation tax whereby, the state, upon your death, does a Marie-Antoinette number on you and sells the part in the basket to the highest bidder. Talk about the estate "death" tax. Jeez!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Well, perhaps it's an issue of fairness. Let's take the example of Wilmington, where they take an extra $10 a year for this head tax for employees to pay for city services. Employees, some of whom might not be homeowners, and some of whom might not be Wilmington residents, use the roads, need the snow cleared, need police protection, etc. Should the Wilmington residents pay all the cost or should a few non-Wilmington residents who use the services chip in as well? I don't know the answer, but it's not necessarily crooked.

I wonder if we each looked into our own tax structures, if there wasn't some kind of "head tax" included. Perhaps for some of us, it's in our sales tax ... but since Delaware does not have one ...

See what I mean? I'm not defending. I'm just looking at all the angles.

Charley
I see your angle charley and I understand. Just seems that no one gets scott free. DE has no sales tax but they guess it is safe to say they get you another way.
BTW..........speaking of death tax................Do they tax you when you are dead?
They can take whatever they want from me when I'm dead. Don't think I will be needing any money whether I go to H or Heaven. No currency in the next realm

Old 10-27-2007, 10:28 AM

50 posts, read 239,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee09 View Post
Hello everyone. My husband will be retiring in 3 years and we are just starting to look up and down the State of Delaware. I saw an article on the internet that Delaware had 5 of the top places to retire to. Does anyone know about Lewes? I love small towns with open spaces. Being close to some great fishing areas would be nice. We have a place on Smith Island (in the Chesapeake Bay) which we love; however, because of my health issues, I need to be on the mainland when we retire for quick access to doctors. In other Forums about Delaware, I have seen comments that it is a 'hick place' and the 'locals are not friendly'. I was raised in a 'hick place' (and I loved it) and the 'locals ARE friendly' if you're friendly back. I would welcome any names of Towns that you are fond of and plesant. Thank you so much.
Don't want to burst your bubble about Delaware, but we found it to be extremely overrated. We moved to a coastal town in NC, and just loved it, better beaches, great healthcare, especially in Southport. Although the taxes are low in DE, people do pay a price for it. Taxes in NC are also very low. You should check it out.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Hi Dee,

Thanks so much for your thoughts about Delaware. As far as my bubble and I are concerned, I don't think there will be much bursting anytime soon. I've been researching Delaware for about two years now and I do believe it will be the best fit for me and my wife in our retirement years.

I hope you find North Carolina to be everything you want it to be ... and thanks again for your feedback.

Charley

Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 AM

OK ... hold the phone. Something's a little odd ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2south View Post
Have you contacted a realtor? If I can be of any additional help, please feel free to contact me. We too relocated to Atlanta, and just love it, plus, it is being touted as one of the best places in the country to purchase.
I just found this in the Atlanta forums. Just where did you relocate ... Atlanta or North Carolina??

Charley

Old 10-27-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
OK ... hold the phone. Something's a little odd ....

I just found this in the Atlanta forums. Just where did you relocate ... Atlanta or North Carolina??

Charley
Yeah.........very odd????

Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 50,559 times
Hello everyone! Thanks for the information about land leases and head taxes. I appreciate all the research you did Charley about head taxes. And Elizamary, thank you for those wonderful lists! I have been so busy at work, haven't had much time to respond to you both. Take care,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware