Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times

Advertisements

Unless I am grievously mistaken, Sussex in fact has the lowest base rate on older properties that are outside city limits because there has been no general tax reassessment in Sussex Co. since the 1970s. If you look at on-line MLS sites you will see that many older properties in Sussex County that have asking prices of several hundred thousand dollars have annual property tax bills of only a few hundred dollars. This may not be the case for houses that are now being built, I don't know. However, it is my understanding that overall New Castle Co. has the highest real estate taxes, followed in descending order by Kent and then Sussex. Even more surpsingly, Sussex Co. actually has a budget surplus, despite their low property taxes. I wonder if cases cited in Sussex Co. in which the property taxes are relatively high stem from taxes imposed by incorporated municipalities such as Lewes and Rehoboth, which may add a great deal onto the basic county tax assessment. I think if you get entirely outside an incorporated area in Sussex, the tax bill is quite low; of course you get a corresponding absence of municipal services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 AM

23 posts, read 61,036 times
Property taxes are nowhere near that of Jersey in Sussex Eliza. Jersey's taxes are close to the highest in the country. But in terms of the state new homes in sussex have a very high property tax rate. especially those near the beaches. Not sure about the older homes in sussex in the more rural areas. I only know about the newer homes/condos near the beach because I have know some people who live down that way and their property taxes are quite a bit higher than ours and they tell me that the tourists make getting around town difficult. I live in out in the rural area west of smyrna. And it still only takes about 45 mins. to get to the beach from here depending on traffic. If you look at this link it gives the property tax rates by area. Some areas of Sussex with the exception of Laurel and the unincorporated areas are relatively high in comparison to Kent County rates. And the unincorporated areas of Sussex are somewhere i'd never want to live but that's just me.

http://dedo.delaware.gov/pdfs/main_root/publications/2009-2010PropertyTaxReport.pdf (broken link)

The other thing that I find better about Kent County is that you are in relatively close proximity to Dover Mall which is far cheaper than the outlets and stores near the beach. People sometimes think the outlets are cheaper than they are. Most of the time they are rather expensive for what you get. I prefer to go to Dover Mall since you can go in places like JcPenney and use coupons. There's also a Kohl's in Dover. I guess it just depends on what your budget is like.

Last edited by jeannies35; 04-16-2010 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: adding link

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannies35 View Post
Sussex county has some of the highest property tax rates in the state. Just something to keep in mind. Milford is close to the Sussex county line and has some nice communities. The property taxes are lower and it still isn't all that far to the beaches.
Milford is in both Sussex and Kent counties. I believe the Mispillion River is the county line for some of it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM

23 posts, read 61,036 times
hmm didn't think about that too busy! good point! I was thinking of the kent area of milford. it is partly in sussex and so is lincoln. I just feel like for people on a budget you get more house for the money in Kent County. And the property taxes are reasonable. And you are close to inexpensive tax free shopping. There isn't really a true mall in sussex county. I used to work in Dover Mall and many of my customers drove up from Sussex County to shop. That's a long drive especially when traffic is heavy.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannies35 View Post
Property taxes are nowhere near that of Jersey in Sussex Eliza. Jersey's taxes are close to the highest in the country. But in terms of the state new homes in sussex have a very high property tax rate. especially those near the beaches. Not sure about the older homes in sussex in the more rural areas. I only know about the newer homes/condos near the beach because I have know some people who live down that way and their property taxes are quite a bit higher than ours and they tell me that the tourists make getting around town difficult. I live in out in the rural area west of smyrna. And it still only takes about 45 mins. to get to the beach from here depending on traffic. If you look at this link it gives the property tax rates by area. Some areas of Sussex with the exception of Laurel and the unincorporated areas are relatively high in comparison to Kent County rates. And the unincorporated areas of Sussex are somewhere i'd never want to live but that's just me.

http://dedo.delaware.gov/pdfs/main_root/publications/2009-2010PropertyTaxReport.pdf (broken link)

The other thing that I find better about Kent County is that you are in relatively close proximity to Dover Mall which is far cheaper than the outlets and stores near the beach. People sometimes think the outlets are cheaper than they are. Most of the time they are rather expensive for what you get. I prefer to go to Dover Mall since you can go in places like JcPenney and use coupons. There's also a Kohl's in Dover. I guess it just depends on what your budget is like.
Figured as much Jeannie but wasn't sure. Jersey shore prices are outrageous.

Thanks too busy......I didnt'realize this either. Really thought Milford was Kent. Always learning something new

Speaking of the Dover mall verses outlets.......I'm with you on this. The mall is wonderful with 4 major department stores Sears, Pennys, Boscov and Sears plus all the smallers retail shops along Rt. 13. Thats one reason I like Magnolia....close to Dover and yet a short ride to the beach. Takes us between 30 to 40 mins. Not bad........our rides to the jersey shore were 2 hours at least.
Oh and the outlets.....never get anything down there especially clothing. I find the quality to be cheap compared to the great bargins Macys and Boscov have.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,180 times
Hi, this is great to read everyone. I am going to move next April. I have been considering DE. Have not yet gone to check it out. I love the beach and need peace and quiet and nature. I like to have a decent city near by as well, although DC to me is not it!!
Any thoughts on Where in DE if your not independently wealthy? I may even need to work some, for money I bar tend and do massage. I do other things for creativity and am hoping to find or build a home that suites my projects.
talk to me all you DE mavens!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,180 times
wondering what the advanced go is, let me find out...
Oh, i love the emoticoms!!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times
If you're selective about them the outlet malls along Rt 1 between Lewes and Rehoboth can be stunningly cheap. For example you can pick up a pair of shorts at Abercrombie & Fitch for $12.00 - as I did a few weeks ago - that would cost $40.00 at one of their regular stores anywhere else. Likewise, I've had some good deals at The Gap there. By contrast I've found Banana Republic to be no particular good deal down at the beach. In terms of regular department stores in DE, I've found that the combination of special sales and coupons that are good for even more off on clearance/sale merchandise make Macy's sometimes a very good deal. Don't know about Dover Mall; I stick to Concord and Christiana up in New Castle County. Also, for dressy men's clothes, Joseph Bank runs some really good sales, though their selection is limited; I've found them to be good for suits and sports coats.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Milford is in both Sussex and Kent counties. I believe the Mispillion River is the county line for some of it.
I guess you had that tucked away in your memory bank. There's so much trivia to learn about a different place. Second nature to us. If you're ever back, you'll have to visit the Riverwalk in Milford- beautiful area of the Mispillion, all brick sidewalks, flowers, and even little carts with produce for sale during warm weather.

Another different one is Delmar, the most southern town at the end of Rt. 13. The north side of the street is in Delmar, Delaware. Cross the street and you're in Delmar, Maryland.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Hi Jonimr......

The DE threads have a lot of great reads or information for just about anything your looking for.

Magnolia, Milford, Camden and a bunch of little towns nestled in Kent County are quite charrming, quiet and close to the beach.
Are you at retirement age or just want to make a change for What reason?

Dr Jef....Sounds llike some great deals and I'm sure many people find the same.
But for me.....I have been there and found nothing. There is also a Tangier outlet in Maine I have visited and still a waste of my time.
But hey.......thats me. I'm sure many people find the outlets at rehobeth to be a wonderful shopping experience.
Now where you live up in New Castle.......Loads of stores around and I do know of the Concord Mall. All along I believe it's rt 202 a variety of stores and restauants. Concord rink.

The dover mall really surprised me. Moving from Philly I thought we were in the bommies and just one mall within a short distance. Was really surprised the Dover mall offered so much. The malls I remember had 2 or 3 major department stores......this one has 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware