U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

7 posts, read 48,484 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband will be retiring in 3 years and we are just starting to look up and down the State of Delaware. I saw an article on the internet that Delaware had 5 of the top places to retire to. Does anyone know about Lewes? I love small towns with open spaces. Being close to some great fishing areas would be nice. We have a place on Smith Island (in the Chesapeake Bay) which we love; however, because of my health issues, I need to be on the mainland when we retire for quick access to doctors. In other Forums about Delaware, I have seen comments that it is a 'hick place' and the 'locals are not friendly'. I was raised in a 'hick place' (and I loved it) and the 'locals ARE friendly' if you're friendly back. I would welcome any names of Towns that you are fond of and plesant. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,753 times
BeeGee...........We just moved here in Feb 2007 and live in Magnolia 10 minutes sout of Dover.
it is rural and we love it.
There are many communities to choose from. Depends on what you want and how much you are prepared to spend.
We live in a land lease 55+ community and own our home. Our community has a clubhouse and pool.
I find the people to be friendly down here........most definately.

As far as Sussex County, I'm not that familiar but hear it is expensive and the traffic in the summer would be too much to bare.
We almost bought in Sussex West which was reasonable but wouldn't be able to get through the summer.
Now we live in Kent county and we're 35 minutes from the beach.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM

20 posts, read 32,219 times
BeeGee,
My husband and I are also planning to retire to Delaware a bit done the road. We visit at least once a year and I almost always find people to be warm and friendly! I rarely have a problem with help in stores and people we have met are really very nice. I like most areas we have seen, especially Kent county. You should come and look around to form your own opinion.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 AM

Thank you Elizamary and mns35 for your comments. The few times I have been to Delaware, I too have found everyone nice and friendly. Elizamary, I will be sure to look around Magnolia. And mns35, I will also plan to visit Kent County. Thanks for letting me know about the beach traffic and expenses. My husband and I are hoping to take a quick trip this weekend. I am really excited. Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee09 View Post
Thank you Elizamary and mns35 for your comments. The few times I have been to Delaware, I too have found everyone nice and friendly. Elizamary, I will be sure to look around Magnolia. And mns35, I will also plan to visit Kent County. Thanks for letting me know about the beach traffic and expenses. My husband and I are hoping to take a quick trip this weekend. I am really excited. Thanks again!

Beegee..........Magnolia is in Kent county. Do you have an itinerary or a list of communities you are looking to buy?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 PM

Elizamary - we went to Delaware on Sunday. Somehow ended up on US1 and Lordy the traffic! We ended up in Rehobeth and near the outlets - it was a beautiful day and everyone was out. The traffic was way to much for me and my husband. Are they any quieter communities to retire too? We went to Milford and were discourage by all the new condos and other construction. Pretty area. We wanted to see Magnolia and other points North, but the heavy traffic scared us away.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee09 View Post
Elizamary - we went to Delaware on Sunday. Somehow ended up on US1 and Lordy the traffic! We ended up in Rehobeth and near the outlets - it was a beautiful day and everyone was out. The traffic was way to much for me and my husband. Are they any quieter communities to retire too? We went to Milford and were discourage by all the new condos and other construction. Pretty area. We wanted to see Magnolia and other points North, but the heavy traffic scared us away.

Like I said in my previous post, this is what stopped us from moving down that way. Traffic is a mess and with the construction going on, it is unbearable.

We have a few communities in Kent county that are nice.
Depends on what you want.........Manufactured or stick and brick.......Land lease or land own.

I will see if I can get the list of communities for you. I would recommend you stay in DE at least over night. make a list of communities you want to visit and follow an itinerary.

I will post the list shortly.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM

20 posts, read 32,219 times
You'll find that the Kent County area is much less congested than the Beach area, in general. Last weekend, the weather was lovely so that probably contributed to the heavy traffic.
Elizamary is right - you need to make a list of what you want to visit and spend a couple of days looking over everything.
Go have some fun!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 AM

12 posts, read 47,852 times
Default Visiting Communities Delaware This Weekend

My husband and I are planning to visit two communities this weekend. One is Champions Club in Magnolia and Heritage Shores in Bridgeville. Though about staying in the beach area since it is off season. Any comments or suggestions about these communities or where to stay would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLG View Post
My husband and I are planning to visit two communities this weekend. One is Champions Club in Magnolia and Heritage Shores in Bridgeville. Though about staying in the beach area since it is off season. Any comments or suggestions about these communities or where to stay would be helpful. Thanks!

Hum...........Staying by the beach would be nice since it is off season. You would be about 35 mins from Champions club. Heritiage is south on 13 but I'm sure you could get there no problem traveling west on one of the roads.

They are in opposite directions so maybe you could stay somewhere in the middle

they are both nice communities. Heritage may be a little over priced but they do have a golf course.
Champions Club is very nice and maybe quieter and not as big.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or