U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,842 times

Advertisements

Younger couple looking to move to the Northeast coast from Chicago. I keep finding conflicting information I know that Wilmington does have a high crime rate being as it is so close to larger cities and I'm sure just as Chicago you can be affected based on where you live and how much common sense you have, but it's not ideal for families. I'm interested to see what suburbs are highly recommended-I've spent a lot of time looking at Dover but with a small population and I'm also finding conflicting crime data (Some I'm finding that Dover is safe and others is that Dover has a few hundred crimes a month with a low population that's increasing your chances to become a victim.) I've also heard that New Castle is great, and then I've heard that New Castle is awful.

I'm open to DE, MA, PA, and CT so what would the residents recommend for a family to eventually buy a home and invest into a forever life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
Frankly, I'd recommend reading a lot more of the threads on this forum before asking such a broad question.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,544,670 times
Since you are a young family, unless you can work from home, your location will be impacted to where you can find work. The going rate for that work in that particular area will impact your budget for a home.

I presently live and work in SE PA. I plan to retire in 18 months to southern DE. It is just 120 miles away. What I could get paid in southern DE for the exact same work I do in SE PA would be about 40% less and that is IF there are any jobs available.

When you are young where you live is usually based upon where you can find work.

Mary2014

Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 13,842 times
Yeah I've been reading the threads for a few weeks, but again I tend to find conflicting information from one thread to another. I've been looking into the Lewes area and but I'm worried that low populations can increase the chances of becoming a vitcim of a crime in a better area. I currently work from home, but depending on if the cottage laws in DE pass I may continue to bake from home or buy a commercial property and open up a bakery in the local area which is why I want somewhere where a bakery could flourish.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 AM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc0dilly View Post
Yeah I've been reading the threads for a few weeks, but again I tend to find conflicting information from one thread to another. I've been looking into the Lewes area and but I'm worried that low populations can increase the chances of becoming a vitcim of a crime in a better area. I currently work from home, but depending on if the cottage laws in DE pass I may continue to bake from home or buy a commercial property and open up a bakery in the local area which is why I want somewhere where a bakery could flourish.
This is one of those times.....while reading a thread, I'm wondering what area is being talked about. Chicago vs. Dover I've been in Kent County, Delaware for 72 years. Maybe I'm warped, but I feel safe in both Kent & Sussex counties, and always have. I ride my bike, walk along orchard lined roads, visit our Amish friends 2 miles away and buy fresh creamery butter, baked goods, free range chickens.....on and on.

Secondly, we welcome young, energetic families like yours to Delaware. The influx of senior citizens from Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and other states is mind boggling. Delaware welcomes all, but really....we need YOUNG people like you! I really hate to see young families discouraged from moving here. The pattern we Delawareans have seen is.....People raise their families, pay taxes, and contribute to society in their home state most of their lives. Then, they come to Delaware to reap the low cost real estate taxes, slower pace, and senior citizen advantages. If I had my life to live over, I would pursue a career dedicated to attracting young, energetic, families to Delaware.

People always find conflicting information on areas, and the only way to learn about an area is to spend some time in areas of interest, not just a few trips, but many trips during various times of the year. Talk to locals, and read some local papers. For most of us oldies here, the Lewes/Rehoboth area is a tourist trap to be avoided until October or November. As far as crime, there are sketchy areas everywhere, as you said. Our little town outside Dover has 3 police officers. The crime report last month read "1 domestic". As far as your bakery business, stay away from Dover. The best German bakery is here. It arrived on the scene 3-4 years ago, and they just moved from one area in the City of Dover, to another more visible, larger location. It's a favorite here! We have many other private type bakeries in the Dover area that just can't compete with them. Just my opinion, but starting a business near Lewes/Rehoboth might be a better idea. They are 95% transplant property owners and vacation people, accustomed to paying top dollar for goods, and the attraction is no sales tax. Of course off-season business could be a problem. Good Luck to you! I really hope you decide on Delaware!
http://www.frankfurtbakery.com/index.html

Last edited by rdlr; 08-11-2012 at 04:39 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 AM

4,467 posts, read 4,717,791 times
I think it is exciting that you are looking now and have the time to plan. Good luck with your serach and have fun looking at lots of places.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 PM

119 posts, read 243,957 times
Downtown Dover can have lots of crime, but you most likely aren't going to be a victim because you won't live downtown on the scary streets (Queen St, New St, etc). The year I lived off of Rt 8 in Dover, though, there were 3 gun-point robberies off of Rt 8, in nice areas. It was all at night though, but still....

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
as rdlr said " Of course off-season business could be a problem. " Come look at the area off season. As a long time resident of "suburban"Lewes/Rehoboth area I have seen many folk's dreams open and die for lack of business. I'm not trying to be discouraging but I see vacant stores and business changing hands constantly.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 40,446 times
I'm new posting here but have been reading this forum for a couple of years.

I agree with longnecker. We owned a home in Pot Nets Creekside and right down the road from us was a super delicious homemade fudge shop. One of the owners was from my hometown. We talked a lot about the GREAT seasonal traffic that bought fudge at their shop. I'm not sure how many years they were open but...I was really heartbroken when their shop went empty. They had told me that off season was a killer.

Longnecker...I think I know the community where you live. You should know where I'm talking about. It was in the little strip where Nana & Pop's ice cream store was located. We sold our home in 2005 and just last week were back to DE for a vacation. Our friends own a home on Camp Arrowhead Rd. where we stayed for 6 days. Going back in a couple of weeks for another 6 days. Our kids and grandkids are there now.

We drove down LongNeck Rd. after eating breakfast at Ocean Grill. We used to love the breakfast at the one on Rt.1. Anyway, drove into Creekside by our old place.

Our plan is to retire to DE in a couple of years when my husband retires. We are looking seriously at Angola Estates because of the larger mobile home lots. We really love the Angola Neck and Long Neck area.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Linda...The businesses you mention help to make my point. Since the fudge business there have been several other folks trying to get something going in that store. In fact the only long term operation in that strip is Nana & Pop's. I believe Ocean Grill was in that restaurant years ago. They had sold the business and several others followed in and out. Some looked like they had a good business. One even got a liquor license. We noticed that it was closed just before Christmas (padlocked) It stayed closed until Ocean Grill reopened it recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware