Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM

296 posts, read 637,459 times

Advertisements

So i configured several ways the pluses and minuses of getting into new york city and was wondering if anyone has tried them and their opinions. #1 drive all the way in. tolls would be expensive plus finding parking in new york. #2 drive to staten island and take the ferry in then walk or use subway system. i get sick on boats. #3 drive into secaucus and take the bus into the port authority. again tolls but bus would be cheaper this close. #4 drive into trenton and take train all the way in to city. some tolls, parking expensive and the train cost is crazy high for 4 people but its the easiest from Dover. #5 take a tour bus. really easy option as theres a bus tour in Camden Delaware but it is not cheap. think $35.00 a person. being on a bus for 4 or 5 hours. anyones thoughts? why is there no train connecting the capital of Delaware to anywhere else? it would be a definite boon for the smaller cities. Camden-Wyoming has an old train depot! Thats cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 26 days ago)

1,994 posts, read 3,319,273 times
My friend's family is in NYC (Lower East Side, Manhattan).

He takes Amtrak - out of Wilm. (We live in south NJ, i drive him there and drop him off.) He has taken his car and driven before, but for parking and getting around it's just not worth it.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,917,861 times
Ct would probably be a better place to live if you need to get to NYC than DE. Way too far every single day.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM

347 posts, read 861,671 times
Okay - sounds like a group of 4 people will be traveling from Dover to NYC. You are trying to keep the cost down. If you know where you are going and you are familiar with the parking lots, then driving is a good idea. I would suggest the parking lots at Port Authority. They are easy to access and close enough to the theater area. However, if you are a bit uneasy about driving there are other options. Check out NJ Transit. There are several options that are "easy" to drive to, park and take either a bus or train. Metro Park in Iselin, NJ for the train and Toms River, NJ for the bus come to mind. The train from Wilmington is an option but it is $$ for four people.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM

i drove into new york city once with my big 'ol truck, parking isnt really made for big vehicles. ended up under the museum of natural history when they first opened so i was able to back in and get a spot. course i did pay i think close to $40.00 for 4 hours. i'm tryin to find the most cost effective way in. thought the staten island ferry would be a nice ride.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:14 PM

9,706 posts, read 14,204,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
Camden-Wyoming has an old train depot!
There's no such place as Camden-Wyoming. You might be speaking of the Wyoming Town Office, which has been housed in the train station the last few years.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 PM

When we were looking for a place we came across Camden-Wyoming. just like that. Then there was Camden or just Wyoming. Our agent even called it that. I do know that the police there are very strict. Got a ticket doing 29 in a 25. Now i just let everyone tailgate me instead of pushing me to go faster.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,800,267 times
If you book 2 weeks in advance you can get a discount for Amtrak , which should be capped at 40$ for Wilmington to NYC or Newark Penn for access to Lower Manhattan.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 PM

148 posts, read 276,295 times
Just drive to Philadelphia, Park off Broad and Ellsworth for free, and take the train up to City Hall, walk to 10th and Arch and take the Chinatown buses up.

Or, drive up, take the GW, and park somewhere in uptown for free and take the train down to midtown or the village or wherever. ( personally park around 100-105 and Amsterdam and take the 1 train downtown.)

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,800,267 times
As for a Train to Dover and Downstate , there studying , there used to a be train but that ended in the 70s. Now there's enough population for a train...so there looking into how much it will cost. The line would have the following stations stops...should be built later this decade...

Current , Proposed & Planned Stations

Main Line
New York Penn Station (Limited Service)
Newark Penn Station (Limited Service)
Trenton Transit Center (Limited Service)
Philadelphia 30th Street Station (Main Northern Terminus)
Landilth (New SEPTA Station Proposed)
Wilmington Central Station
Newport (New SEPTA Station Proposed)
Churchman's Crossing
Christiana Parkway - Newark
Bear
Kirkwood
Summit
Middletown
Clayton
Dover
Wyoming
Harrington
Seaford
Laurel
Delmar
Salisbury
Berlin
West Ocean City (Connecting Service to Ocean City)

Milford Branch
New York Penn Station (Limited Service)
Newark Penn Station (Limited Service)
Trenton Transit Center (Limited Service)
Philadelphia 30th Street Station (Main Northern Terminus)
Landilth (New SEPTA Station Proposed)
Wilmington Central Station
Newport (New SEPTA Station Proposed)
Churchman's Crossing
Christiana Parkway - Newark
Bear
Kirkwood
Summit
Middletown
Clayton
Dover
Wyoming
Harrington
Milford
Georgetown (Connecting seasonal service to Lewes)
Millsboro
Ocean Pines
West Ocean City (Connecting Service to Ocean City)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware