Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,599 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to a job in Chester, PA (old Electric Company location) from Atlanta, GA. I have been advised to live in DE and commute to Chester. After visiting the Chester location, I completely understand why - very abandoned (kinda creepy) part of town.

About me...early forties, female, relocating solo, have a car, but would rather carpool to work, if that's even possible. I'm looking to move into an area that is 'progressive' - not a bar scene or extreme nightlife, but in an area where people are laid back, social, amenities and activities (museums, performing arts) are within walking distance or a short driving distance.

The Residences, downtown Wilmington, boast about their properties' ability to meet the above requirements. However, as you may suspect, the rental prices are SKY HIGH!!....so, is there another area of town (DE, PA, NJ) that offers the high rise elegant building, granite counter tops, etc. at a reasonable price? I'm budgeting myself to $1K month for a 1 bedroom.

Thanking you in advance for any valuable feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM

36 posts, read 59,194 times
Check out Christina Landing apartments, or renting a home in Triangle neighborhood or Trolly Square or Cool Springs!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:38 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbird View Post
Check out Christina Landing apartments, or renting a home in Triangle neighborhood or Trolly Square or Cool Springs!
I didn't hear the best things about those apartments

Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 AM

53 posts, read 112,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotk View Post
I will be relocating to a job in Chester, PA (old Electric Company location) from Atlanta, GA. I have been advised to live in DE and commute to Chester. After visiting the Chester location, I completely understand why - very abandoned (kinda creepy) part of town.

About me...early forties, female, relocating solo, have a car, but would rather carpool to work, if that's even possible. I'm looking to move into an area that is 'progressive' - not a bar scene or extreme nightlife, but in an area where people are laid back, social, amenities and activities (museums, performing arts) are within walking distance or a short driving distance.

The Residences, downtown Wilmington, boast about their properties' ability to meet the above requirements. However, as you may suspect, the rental prices are SKY HIGH!!....so, is there another area of town (DE, PA, NJ) that offers the high rise elegant building, granite counter tops, etc. at a reasonable price? I'm budgeting myself to $1K month for a 1 bedroom.

Thanking you in advance for any valuable feedback...
Sorry that I can't give you too much advice about Delaware . We just moved here a little over a year ago. I can suggest a few places in Pa. --downtown Media or Swarthmore. They are both nice towns and not far from Philly and Chester.

Pat

Old 09-23-2012, 12:59 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I agree about Media and Swarthmore, and I would also add the West Chester area, which would be a longer commute but has nice shopping and restaurants. We rented a home in the very small town of Rutledge, and it was probably my favorite place to live. Only 600 residents, but in walking distance to train and bus, easy commute to Philly and tax-free shopping Delaware, and would be a really convenient drive for work. DM me if you want more info.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I don't know why Delaware would be recommended over a closer Pennsylvania town. I third the suggestion of Media. Great small town with a trolley and a Trader Joe's! http://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 AM

53 posts, read 112,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I agree about Media and Swarthmore, and I would also add the West Chester area, which would be a longer commute but has nice shopping and restaurants. We rented a home in the very small town of Rutledge, and it was probably my favorite place to live. Only 600 residents, but in walking distance to train and bus, easy commute to Philly and tax-free shopping Delaware, and would be a really convenient drive for work. DM me if you want more info.
I forgot about West Chester. That's also a great town and really not that far from Chester, less than a half hour .

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest130 View Post
I forgot about West Chester. That's also a great town and really not that far from Chester, less than a half hour .
Just stay away from commuting route 202 from West Chester to Chester, route 202 is a nightmare.

For the stuff she is looking for Media, Swarthmore, would be nice, hey Marcus Hook has a quiet night life, lol. Seriously though the only advantage to Delaware over those areas would be expense as Delaware would be cheaper.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Just stay away from commuting route 202 from West Chester to Chester, route 202 is a nightmare.

For the stuff she is looking for Media, Swarthmore, would be nice, hey Marcus Hook has a quiet night life, lol. Seriously though the only advantage to Delaware over those areas would be expense as Delaware would be cheaper.
I should amend this, rent wise price will probably be close, other things like car insp, car insurance, no sales tax, but a higher income tax in Delaware may even it out.

Although it doesn't change the fact that route 202 is a nightmare .

Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmgirl View Post
i agree about media.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: